Welcome to cdb

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Welcome to cdb

Post by Charlie Reams »

The Countdown Corral is dead, long live cdb - the Countdown database!

Still early days. In particular, there's no graphics or visuals, it's purely content, but I think it should at least be usable. The major improvement over the Corral is that it includes results of all games, including ones for which there's no recap yet, so pages like the high score records are much more complete. Thanks to Mike Brown for all this data, and also to Martin Gardner, who fixed all the problems caused by having several contestants with the same name.

New stuff will be rolling out more or less constantly for the next few days, so check back regularly, and feel free to give me feedback on what's there so far.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Re: Welcome to cdb

Post by Ben Wilson »

I'm liking it, it strikes me there's a lot that could be done to it but it's very good as a no-nonsense stats site, which are always fun. :)

I'll miss the corral though.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Well done Charlie. At first glance it looks good. Certainly very usable. And very quick to get to any specific game.

I look forward to seeing the 15th October game featured. :)
Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Post by Debbi Flack »

Looking good so far - well done! :)
She came, she saw - oh well, at least she tried!
Steven Briers
Rookie

Post by Steven Briers »

I think it's quite good because it seems easier to access the information - good job.
Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Thank you, Charlie!

Now, we don't have to wait until the new host and hostess are named when we don't feel like coming here!

And will you please remember to mention who he and she are so that the casual viewers know that Des and Carol will have no longer been on Countdown?
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

You b****r! I've just been adding links to the Corral on to all the series pages of my site :evil:

But seriously, Charlie, I'm looking forward to when cdb has more info on the nine-rounders, so I can check all my stats pages, amongst other things!

Looks good, at any rate, and I shall be watching it with interest - just don't make it look too like the Countdown Page, or I'll sue you ;)

And one bug report for you - it looks like the series numbers on the Series Stats page have all being incremented by one!
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Mike:

Are you happy or are you not?
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Yes that's a good point Mike - the Corral / its successor is looking more and more like The Countdown Page all the time :? Fair enough if you're happy with it - but your page is the original and best (Charlie don't get annoyed with me, I'm not having a go at you)
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Mike, I'm confused because you called Charlie a name, yet you did complement him on the Countdown Database!

Why?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Julian Fell wrote:Yes that's a good point Mike - the Corral / its successor is looking more and more like The Countdown Page all the time
List of stuff Mike has that I don't:
* DC guests and lexicographers for each episode
* Countdown experiences
* Game of the Week
* Lots of other content-y stuff

List of stuff I have that Mike doesn't:
* Recaps and the recap writer
* Maximums
* Octochamp stats
* CountGen
* Per-series records
* Lots of other statistic-y stuff

List of stuff that is the same:
* Lists of game results

I think I'm happy with this amount of overlap.
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Jason Larsen wrote:Mike:

Are you happy or are you not?
Yes.
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Jason Larsen wrote:Mike, I'm confused because you called Charlie a name, yet you did complement him on the Countdown Database!

Why?
I think it's called teasing... :)
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Julian Fell wrote:Yes that's a good point Mike - the Corral / its successor is looking more and more like The Countdown Page all the time
List of stuff Mike has that I don't:
... blahblah...

List of stuff I have that Mike doesn't:
... blahblah...

List of stuff that is the same:
* Lists of game results

I think I'm happy with this amount of overlap.
Yeah, me too. And if I should suddenly gain a "Highest Losing Scores Page", you'll know where the info might have come from :) As always, Julian, thanks for the defence... I am hoping to add some more 'points of difference' soon, which will hopefully be the sorts of things that sit more neatly on The Countdown Page than on cdb.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Mike, I'm glad you're happy but I don't understand when people tease other people. That's just me.
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

I take your point Charlie, and certainly I'm in awe of - and very grateful for - the amount of time you put into your site and promoting Countdown etc. I do tend to see the all-time results archive as the "core" (and most impressive part) of Mike's site, and it's a shame it's no longer unique on the internet, but times move on. If Mike's happy, I'm happy :)

I may sound a bit reactionary sometimes - it's just that Mike's site was the one I used extensively when I was first getting into Countdown and then preparing to go on the show, and he was the one who bigged me up after my appearances etc. ... I can't help feeling a bit wistful when its pre-eminent position gets taken over, but that's certainly not to have a go at you Charlie, or your site.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Julian Fell wrote:I may sound a bit reactionary sometimes
You are indeed a reactionary, but we love you for it.