World Cup Crossword

Cerebral distractions of every kind, mostly but not exclusively Countdown-related.

Moderator: Michael Wallace

Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

World Cup Crossword

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

I've made a cryptic crossword themed on The World Cup. If you fancy having a go either pm me or reply here with your email address and I'll send it to you :)

Ta
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Re: World Cup Crossword

Post by David O'Donnell »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:I've made a cryptic crossword themed on The World Cup. If you fancy having a go either pm me or reply here with your email address and I'll send it to you :)

Ta
The World Cup themed bit is putting me off; is there something there for the layperson?
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Yeah it's about 50:50 football and other stuff. Plus the football stuff is all pretty simple as anyone will preach I know next to nothing about football. It's also pretty anagram-heavy which should appeal to Countdowners and it went down a treat with my c4c guinea pigs at the inaugural COSHEF last night 8-) Also anyone worried about my dodgy cluesmanship will be pleased to know I've definitely improved since my early shitty efforts at making cryptic crosswords.

NB Only 1 out of the 3 people who've pmed so far gave me their email address which I need as its a Word attachment.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:NB Only 1 out of the 3 people who've pmed so far gave me their email address which I need as its a Word attachment.
Could try googledocs?
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

I've just tried Googledocs now having never heard of it before but my upload got rejected :(

Cheers for telling me about it though. It's probably something I'd use if my crossword was a raving success and I had to make lots more.

DO YOU WANT TO DO MY CROSSWORD???
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Quite enjoyable Dinos. Thank you. I did most of it while trying to avoid watching the second half of THAT game.

I am still stuck on 4 of them though. And I have now lost interest in the world cup until the final so please can I have the answers?
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Yeah although if you want to pm me the ones you're missing I can give you hints. Same goes for everyone else.

Anyone completed it yet? Ryan Taylor is 1 clue away from completion and Howard has 2 clues left.

Haha after typing that I've just had a text from Ryan saying he's solved the last one!
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Yeah although if you want to pm me the ones you're missing I can give you hints. Same goes for everyone else.

Anyone completed it yet? Ryan Taylor is 1 clue away from completion and Howard has 2 clues left.

Haha after typing that I've just had a text from Ryan saying he's solved the last one!
And I'm down to one. Forgot to let you know last night that I'd got one of the two remaining clues.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Howard has now finished as well :) If you don't like doing crosswords in the slightest but enjoy looking at a completed grid. Ryan has uploaded a photo of his finished puzzle onto Facebook, and my what lovely handwriting he has too!
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:and my what lovely handwriting he has too!
Awww thanks.
Last edited by Ryan Taylor on Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

I am really terrible at cryptic crosswords and can only get the anagram ones. I have 3 so far.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

There are 9 strictly anagram clues in total and 2 anagram+1 letter clues. Keep looking!
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Since tomorrow brings the end of the World Cup I'll reveal all the answers either on Sunday or Monday, along with a full breakdown of all the clues.