What languages do you speak?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Which languages do you speak well enough to have a simple conversation?

Poll ended at Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:50 pm

Albanian/Kosovan
No votes
Arabic
No votes
Bengali
No votes
Cantonese
No votes
Croatian
No votes
Dutch
4%
English
49%
Farsi /Persian
No votes
French
19%
German
13%
Greek
No votes
Gujerati
No votes
Hindi
No votes
Italian
2%
Japanese
No votes
Mandarin
No votes
Polish
No votes
Portuguese
2%
Punjabi
No votes
Russian
No votes
Serbian
No votes
Somali
No votes
Spanish
6%
Swahili
No votes
Turkish
No votes
Urdu
No votes
Vietnamese
No votes
Other [please specify]
4%

Total votes: 47

Charlie Reams
Site Admin

What languages do you speak?

Post by Charlie Reams »

I based the list of languages on this website which is the best data I could find, but feel free to bitch about it to prove how you're much cleverer than I am ;) ;) ;)
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Re: What languages do you speak?

Post by Marc Meakin »

The only notable omission I could find is Afrikaans and Maori.
Not that I know anyone that can speak either.
Edit,just thought of Gaelic, Welsh and Cornish.
Last edited by Marc Meakin on Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Marc Meakin wrote:The only notable omission I could find is Afrikaans and Maori.
Not that I know anyone that can speak either.
Maori has 8000 speakers in the UK.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Edwin Mead
Rookie

Post by Edwin Mead »

We could do away with all these languages (and this poll) if everyone learnt Esperanto. The world would be a much simpler place.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Edwin Mead wrote:We could do away with all these languages (and this poll) if everyone learnt Esperanto. The world would be a much simpler place.
And much less interesting.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I am (ef)fluent in Bullshit. :)
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Edwin Mead
Rookie

Post by Edwin Mead »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Edwin Mead wrote:We could do away with all these languages (and this poll) if everyone learnt Esperanto. The world would be a much simpler place.
I think that Esperanto is much more glamorous in my daydreaming mind, where I foresee a harmonious world where everybody speaks one ridiculous 'fictional' language.

In reality, I agree completely with you. Hence why I have not yet learned Esperanto and have no plans to do so.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Edwin Mead wrote: Hence why
You'll have the Tautological Police Of Tautologies on you...
Miriam Nussbaum
Rookie

Post by Miriam Nussbaum »

My "other" are Finnish and Hebrew, but 1) I'm not from the UK and 2) both of those are just a result of me going out of my way to learn cool non-Indo-European languages, rather than any more legit linguistic background. (I've studied both for less than two years.)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Not that I think we should do as he suggested, but in some ways it would be more interesing - like we could talk to pretty much anyone.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Charlie Reams wrote:
You're mellowing Charlie. I recall a similar slip (Martin Gardner) I think and you told him you'd be hitting him right now. What's going on? Is it age-related? Say it ain't so - I love watching you running people out of the forum, is this going to end?

PS You're going to run me outta town now aren't you?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gevin wrote:Not that I think we should do as he suggested, but in some ways it would be more interesing - like we could talk to pretty much anyone.
Fair point. I think I'm happier with the current trade-off, though.
David O'Donnell wrote:PS You're going to run me outta town now aren't you?
I have tried but you're too bloody stupid to notice.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
Not that I think we should do as he suggested, but in some ways it would be more interesing - like we could talk to pretty much anyone.
That wouldn't really be more interesting. Think of the amount of boring people there are on the planet. It's more interesting when there's a language barrier between them and they have to play charades and pictionary to communicate. Besides, there's something like nearly a billion fluent English speakers in the world already and only about two thousand of them are interesting; adding another five-and-a-half billion won't shake things up that much.
Edwin Mead
Rookie

Post by Edwin Mead »

David O'Donnell wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
You're mellowing Charlie. I recall a similar slip (Martin Gardner) I think and you told him you'd be hitting him right now. What's going on? Is it age-related? Say it ain't so - I love watching you running people out of the forum, is this going to end?

PS You're going to run me outta town now aren't you?
I love being criticized here. In real life, I'm forever criticizing others for their bad English, so it's nice to see a forum where people can be castrated for their grammatical errors. I learn from my mistakes and then pass this on to others. So you're welcome to hit me, Charlie.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Edwin Mead wrote:I love being criticized here. In real life, I'm forever criticizing others for their bad English, so it's nice to see a forum where people can be castrated for their grammatical errors. I learn from my mistakes and then pass this on to others. So you're welcome to hit me, Charlie.
"Hence why" is one of those errors which amuses me more than upsets me (I guess all grammatical errors are in that region really), so if I hit you it will be for some other reason.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

Edwin Mead wrote:... people can be castrated for their grammatical errors. I learn from my mistakes and then pass this on to others. So you're welcome to hit me, Charlie.
Especially below the belt :twisted:
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Edwin Mead wrote:I love being criticized here. In real life, I'm forever criticizing others for their bad English, so it's nice to see a forum where people can be castrated for their grammatical errors. I learn from my mistakes and then pass this on to others. So you're welcome to hit me, Charlie.
"Hence why" is one of those errors which amuses me more than upsets me (I guess all grammatical errors are in that region really), so if I hit you it will be for some other reason.
I don't think I'm the only one that thinks you're a bit bipolar in terms of "this is an error" and "loads of people say this now so tough shit - get used to it".
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote: I don't think I'm the only one that thinks you're a bit bipolar in terms of "this is an error" and "loads of people say this now so tough shit - get used to it".
I'm sure I'm not consistent on this, but the approach I try to follow is this:-

1) I do know how to obey the traditional rules of English, including ones with which I don't really agree, just because that's sometimes necessary to keep people onside. Like everyone, I'm still learning these (e.g. uninterested vs disinterested) and I'm always keen to learn more.

2) I have my own opinions on what constitutes correct usage, and I'll usually try to defend those on some kind of general principles rather than ad hoc arguments like "this verb goes with this preposition because I say so".

3) I usually defend published dictionaries, even when they disagree with me, because they have access to a lot more data and expertise than I do.

So that's at least three different perspectives that I represent at different times, and I'm probably not always clear which hat I'm wearing.