Numbers note

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.

Do you use the notes in the numbers rounds?

Yes
70%
No
30%

Total votes: 20

Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Numbers note

Post by Ben Hunter »

Just wondered if anybody uses the little notepad in the numbers round? I personally never write anything down.
Simon Myers
Enthusiast

Re: Numbers note

Post by Simon Myers »

Well, yeah of course. Every time I get a solution before the time runs out I'll type it into the notes box and hit end round early. It's a waste of time clicking away in the GUI if I can just type in "2*(100+7)-3" and be done. Less error-prone too.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

I'm not sure Ben knows you can do that, Sid. I think he thinks the notepad is just an internet version of a paper and pencil.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Simon Myers wrote:Well, yeah of course. Every time I get a solution before the time runs out I'll type it into the notes box and hit end round early. It's a waste of time clicking away in the GUI if I can just type in "2*(100+7)-3" and be done. Less error-prone too.
This... changes everything.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Simon Myers wrote:Well, yeah of course. Every time I get a solution before the time runs out I'll type it into the notes box and hit end round early. It's a waste of time clicking away in the GUI if I can just type in "2*(100+7)-3" and be done. Less error-prone too.
This. In a masochistic kinda way, I love the little panic I get when I think I've solved one, typed it in, and then the formula dialog still appears. Did I miscalculate? Or simply miskey? Aargh, the time's going etc :twisted:
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Depends. If I get the solution early then I'll use the notepad; but if I don't get it until about 20 seconds in I tend not to bother, because in the rush of typing in my solution within the remaining time I'll probably make keying or bracketing errors and have to use the formula dialogue anyway.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I probably use it 80% of the time. The other 20% being a solution I've found too late to type in, or a not-bang-on solution where the remaining time's better spent trying to find something closer.
Can't believe Ben didn't know how this works. It's all in the manual.
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

It's not clever.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ian Dent wrote:It's not clever.
JEALOUS
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

It builds the tension more to use to clicky wicky.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Ian Dent wrote:It builds the tension more to use to clicky wicky.
What the f*ck?
Darren Carter
What a lot of bling

Post by Darren Carter »

So does typing your solution in the notes box means you don't have to click your solution in? If so, I never knew that - I thought it was just there for the sake of it!
Darren Carter
What a lot of bling

Post by Darren Carter »

Darren Carter wrote:So does typing your solution in the notes box means you don't have to click your solution in? If so, I never knew that - I thought it was just there for the sake of it!
Just tried it and yes it does, I wondered how some people did it so fast! I also like how if you enter it in the notes box wrong, it gets you to click it in.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Darren Carter wrote:
Darren Carter wrote:So does typing your solution in the notes box means you don't have to click your solution in? If so, I never knew that - I thought it was just there for the sake of it!
Just tried it and yes it does, I wondered how some people did it so fast! I also like how if you enter it in the notes box wrong, it gets you to click it in.
This.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Kirk Bevins wrote:What the f*ck?
What the fuck?