Psychoville

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Psychoville

Post by Charlie Reams »

Quite enjoyed the first three but Episode 4 was just crazy awesome. I've rewatched it several times already. Thanks to Jono for turning me onto it. BAFTA-fodder surely?
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Re: Psychoville

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Charlie Reams wrote:BAFTA-fodder surely?
My thoughts exactly. I genuinely believe that in years to come that episode will be held in similar regard to The Germans episode of Fawlty Towers or Hancock's The Blood Donor.
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

I didn't understand what it was meant to be a tribute to, having not seen Psycho?

However, it is my favourite show at the moment.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Ian Dent wrote:I didn't understand what it was meant to be a tribute to, having not seen Psycho?
Why would you think you'd need to have seen Psycho?
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

When and what channel is this on? Not heard of it before.
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

Steve Durney wrote:When and what channel is this on? Not heard of it before.
BBC2 Thursday 10.0 p.m.
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

Ralph Gillions wrote:
BBC2 Thursday 10.0 p.m.
Cheers Ralph. Will take a look on iplayer then.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Steve Durney wrote:
Ralph Gillions wrote:
BBC2 Thursday 10.0 p.m.
Cheers Ralph. Will take a look on iplayer then.
All the previous episodes are there as well:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/search/?q=psychoville
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Ian Dent wrote:I didn't understand what it was meant to be a tribute to, having not seen Psycho?
Why would you think you'd need to have seen Psycho?
I understood it was supposed to be a Hitchcock tribute, but I don't think I've seen the film, whichever one it was, so maybe that means one doesn't appreciate it properly, I dunno. I do like Psychoville, but not that much, whether we're talking about the series as a whole or that particular episode.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

As mentioned elsewhere, this was a homage to Hitchcock's Rope not 'Psycho'. That film had only 3 or 4 takes but I think this was all done in one; if it was more than that then I didn't see the join, which means it was recorded as 'live' - a tremendous achievement.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Chris Corby wrote:As mentioned elsewhere, this was a homage to Hitchcock's Rope not 'Psycho'. That film had only 3 or 4 takes but I think this was all done in one; if it was more than that then I didn't see the join, which means it was recorded as 'live' - a tremendous achievement.
Rope has rather more than 3 or 4 takes (10 according to IMDb). The maximum length of a take was limited by the length of a reel of film, which at the time was about 10 minutes. The Rope tribute episode of Psychoville has 2 takes (not counting the opening recap, titles and establishing exterior shot of the apartment); the fairly obvious join takes place at 19:25 if you watch the episode on iPlayer.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I thought there was one at 13 minutes. Looking at it now, it seems quite unlikely. But why zoom in so close on the door?
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Jon O'Neill wrote: All the previous episodes are there as well:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/search/?q=psychoville
Excellent, I was a huge fan of The League of Gentleman and this totally passed me by. Cheers!
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Charlie Reams wrote:Quite enjoyed the first three but Episode 4 was just crazy awesome. I've rewatched it several times already. Thanks to Jono for turning me onto it. BAFTA-fodder surely?
I've just watched all 4 episodes but not sure why you think episode 4 is worth watching multiple times?
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

Wasn't a fan of LOG, and nor of this either.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Kirk Bevins wrote:I've just watched all 4 episodes but not sure why you think episode 4 is worth watching multiple times?
I suppose the prime reason is that if something makes me laugh aloud continually for half an hour, I generally enjoy repeating the experience. In this particular case, I also immediately wanted to watch it again to start catching some of the references and allusions* I missed first time around because I was laughing so much, and also to try and work out how some of it was done.

* An example that I didn't pick up until the third viewing: Maureen repeatedly addresses David as her "little Superman", and the "cheering-up tape" that they do the ludicrous dance routine to is Superman by Black Lace. This is presumably a sly nod to the fact that Leopold and Loeb, the psychopathic killers on whom the characters in Rope were based, were obsessed with the Nietzschean concept of the Übermensch (or "superman") and viewed themselves as intellectually and morally superior to their victim. Shearsmith and Pemberton's contributions to the LoG scripts were full of stuff like this; you don't have to pick up on it to enjoy watching, but if you are alert to it then it makes repeated viewing an enormously rewarding experience.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Jon O'Neill wrote:I thought there was [a cut] at 13 minutes. Looking at it now, it seems quite unlikely. But why zoom in so close on the door?
I think it was just for the visual gag of Maureen disappearing through the swing door and immediately coming back through it as it swung the other way.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:I've just watched all 4 episodes but not sure why you think episode 4 is worth watching multiple times?
I suppose the prime reason is that if something makes me laugh aloud continually for half an hour, I generally enjoy repeating the experience. In this particular case, I also immediately wanted to watch it again to start catching some of the references and allusions* I missed first time around because I was laughing so much, and also to try and work out how some of it was done.

* An example that I didn't pick up until the third viewing: Maureen repeatedly addresses David as her "little Superman", and the "cheering-up tape" that they do the ludicrous dance routine to is Superman by Black Lace. This is presumably a sly nod to the fact that Leopold and Loeb, the psychopathic killers on whom the characters in Rope were based, were obsessed with the Nietzschean concept of the Übermensch (or "superman") and viewed themselves as intellectually and morally superior to their victim. Shearsmith and Pemberton's contributions to the LoG scripts were full of stuff like this; you don't have to pick up on it to enjoy watching, but if you are alert to it then it makes repeated viewing an enormously rewarding experience.
Wow. I didn't realise they were actually trying to be clever like that. I'm never seen the LOG.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Kirk Bevins wrote:I didn't realise they were actually trying to be clever like that.
As I say, you don't really need to. It was the quickfire gags that made it most enjoyable for me. The lines:

"The police are looking for a man with a vendetta."
"Oh, so he likes ice cream?"

actually caused beer to come out of my nose.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:I didn't realise they were actually trying to be clever like that.
As I say, you don't really need to. It was the quickfire gags that made it most enjoyable for me. The lines:

"The police are looking for a man with a vendetta."
"Oh, so he likes ice cream?"

actually caused beer to come out of my nose.
The thing is, that line on its own isn't even that funny, it's the earnest tone of the delivery that makes it PMSL-worthy.

FWIW I'm sure there's a whole load of people who enjoy LoG and Psychoville who don't recognise the allusions and subtleties, which just shows how well the programme works on two levels.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Great to see series 2 finally make it to air, and especially great that episode 1 didn't disappoint (unlike the Christmas special, which I thought was a bit so-so). Last night's opening funeral scene deserves a BAFTA for the music alone. And that final shock twist - wow. Can't wait until next week!
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Shit, missed it. I'll have to watch it tomorrow.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

To be honest, I couldn't really remember how it was left from before and I didn't find myself that enthralled by it. I think it's a good programme generally though.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Gavin Chipper wrote:To be honest, I couldn't really remember how it was left from before
We've certainly had to wait a long time for the second series. I heard Reece Shearsmith on the radio recently saying that they'd filmed it over a year ago, but the only way the BBC could afford to make it was by dipping into the budget for this financial year, which meant they were unable to show it until now. Or something.