DARIC, SOED and other things which are not bugs

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Paul Erdunast
Series 74 Champion

DARIC, SOED and other things which are not bugs

Post by Paul Erdunast »

This isn't a bug but I was directed here anyway, it is a query about a word which is in the OED full edition not being allowed in countdown, and I am not sure if it should or should not be disallowed- the word is daric, it is an ancient Persian coin, and in the OED it is not capitalised. Is the OED2r/ODE devoid of this word for some reason, and if so, why?
Kirk Bevins
God

Re: Bug reports

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Paul Erdunast wrote:This isn't a bug but I was directed here anyway, it is a query about a word which is in the OED full edition not being allowed in countdown, and I am not sure if it should or should not be disallowed- the word is daric, it is an ancient Persian coin, and in the OED it is not capitalised. Is the OED2r/ODE devoid of this word for some reason, and if so, why?
Can't see DARIC at all - sorry.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Paul Erdunast wrote:This isn't a bug but I was directed here anyway, it is a query about a word which is in the OED full edition not being allowed in countdown, and I am not sure if it should or should not be disallowed- the word is daric, it is an ancient Persian coin, and in the OED it is not capitalised. Is the OED2r/ODE devoid of this word for some reason, and if so, why?
Can't see DARIC at all - sorry.
He asked "why" as well.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jon Corby wrote:
He asked "why" as well.
Because I used my eyes and it's not located between Dari and Darien which it should be since Dari is common to both and the next letter, c, comes between a blank (after Dari) and the 'e' (after Dari in Darien).
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:
He asked "why" as well.
Because I used my eyes and it's not located between Dari and Darien which it should be since Dari is common to both and the next letter, c, comes between a blank (after Dari) and the 'e' (after Dari in Darien).
No, he wants to know why it's not in there.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

It's in the Shorter OED. This might not be relevant.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Daniel O'Dowd
Acolyte

Post by Daniel O'Dowd »

That is actually very useful knowledge Ian; I remember once there was some word that was in both the shorter and longer OEDs, but which Kirk? wisely declined on show, or someone at least. It's odd that the OED2r isn't simply a larger subset of words than the SODE. If anyone can explain the logic behind this I'd appreciate it :)
Simon Myers
Enthusiast

Post by Simon Myers »

Daniel O'Dowd wrote:That is actually very useful knowledge Ian; I remember once there was some word that was in both the shorter and longer OEDs, but which Kirk? wisely declined on show, or someone at least. It's odd that the OED2r isn't simply a larger subset of words than the SODE. If anyone can explain the logic behind this I'd appreciate it :)
The OED (Oxford English Dictionary) is 20 volumes and contains pretty much every word their lexicographers think is valid. The Shorter Oxford is 2 volumes and is a smaller subset, and the ODE(2r) used for Countdown is just a single volume and necessarily has less words again (though I don't think the ODE is entirely contained in the Shorter Oxford, probably due to differing editorial staff).

The most general way that words are chosen for use in an abridged dictionary is through statistical means, using large corpora. The less common stuff, like archaic foreign currencies, are more likely to get the boot. This is particularly the case with a dictionary like the ODE, which is updated often and derives much of its publicity by the addition of vogue words (cf. the verb "google").
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Simon Myers wrote:
Daniel O'Dowd wrote:That is actually very useful knowledge Ian; I remember once there was some word that was in both the shorter and longer OEDs, but which Kirk? wisely declined on show, or someone at least. It's odd that the OED2r isn't simply a larger subset of words than the SODE. If anyone can explain the logic behind this I'd appreciate it :)
The OED (Oxford English Dictionary) is 20 volumes and contains pretty much every word their lexicographers think is valid. The Shorter Oxford is 2 volumes and is a smaller subset, and the ODE(2r) used for Countdown is just a single volume and necessarily has less words again (though I don't think the ODE is entirely contained in the Shorter Oxford, probably due to differing editorial staff).
Indeed. SANGFROID is in the ODE but not the SOED (cheers Paul) and there are doubtless other inconsistencies.
Daniel O'Dowd
Acolyte

Post by Daniel O'Dowd »

Oops lol I thought the Oed2r was bigger than the Shorter :lol
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Simon Myers wrote:I don't think the ODE is entirely contained in the Shorter Oxford, probably due to differing editorial staff
As stated in the SOED, 'one third of the coverage of the OED in just 2 volumes'.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Paul Erdunast
Series 74 Champion

Re: DARIC, SOED and other things which are not bugs

Post by Paul Erdunast »

In case you are interested, here is the dictionary (OED full version) definition for daric:

A gold coin of ancient Persia, said to have been named from the first Darius. Also a Persian silver coin of the same design, specifically called siglos.
Paul Erdunast
Series 74 Champion

Post by Paul Erdunast »

Thanks, some good reasons, and interesting to know which versions are which. To be honest, in the daric round, I really should have found radii!
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Simon Myers wrote: The OED (Oxford English Dictionary) is 20 volumes and contains pretty much every word their lexicographers think is valid. The Shorter Oxford is 2 volumes and is a smaller subset, and the ODE(2r) used for Countdown is just a single volume and necessarily has less words again (though I don't think the ODE is entirely contained in the Shorter Oxford, probably due to differing editorial staff).
Indeed. SANGFROID is in the ODE but not the SOED (cheers Paul) and there are doubtless other inconsistencies.
It's actually in the SOED, but hyphenated. I'd guess there are some ODE2r words that have been totally omitted from SOED (perhaps some of the most recent additions?), but I don't know of any.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Some further investigation reveals SHROOMER is missing from my SOED. Of course, I received my copy before Countdown moved to ODE2r and I don't know if a new edition has since been published, so take that with a pinch of salt.
Simon Myers
Enthusiast

Post by Simon Myers »

Paul Erdunast wrote:Thanks, some good reasons, and interesting to know which versions are which. To be honest, in the daric round, I really should have found radii!
Or indeed ACRID, its anagram ;)