Apterous Rules

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Apterous Rules

Post by Martin Gardner »

I'd quite like to contribute to Apterous. I'm totally skint, and I have zero knowledge of computer programming, so would it be useful if I wrote up a 'beginners' guide' or an 'introduction' to Apterous? Like playing the bots, challenging other players, duels, etc. I think there's a small FAQ but it's only a page of A4.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Nicky
Rookie

Re: Apterous Rules

Post by Nicky »

Yes! Oh yes! It is rather intimidating for apterous virgins not to have a basic 'How to play' section. Last night was my first time, and although I didn't disgrace myself too badly, I might have done better if I'd had a preview of what to expect and had known, for instance, that you need to declare before the end of the numbers round! That's what I'm telling myself anyway.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Is it really that hard? You just do crap for a couple of games but after that you quickly get the hang of it. You'd probably pick it up quicker if you played a few games rather than read instructions on how to play. I don't see how it is intimidating at all but, meh, others might disagree.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Jimmy Gough wrote:Is it really that hard? You just do crap for a couple of games but after that you quickly get the hang of it. You'd probably pick it up quicker if you played a few games rather than read instructions on how to play. I don't see how it is intimidating at all but, meh, others might disagree.
Oh I dunno, I think I lost about 5 or 6 games before I won my first game - now I've won about 105 out of 165. I suppose if I write it, nobody's obliged to read it all, or read it at all. So yeah, breaking it down into sections a bit like a Wikipedia article's a good idea.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Apterous rules. OK?
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

To be fair, apterous has both a) practice mode, and ii) a rating system that means your early games don't count for much. I think I'm with Jimmy on this.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Jimmy Gough wrote:I don't see how it is intimidating at all but, meh, others might disagree.
But its completely dominated by MEN! Any woman would be lucky to escape without being penetrated against her will!