CO:Rea - 20 April 2024

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

CO:Rea - 20 April 2024

Post by Fiona T »

Countdown is returning to Reading in 2024! This event will be part of the FOCAL calendar.

When is it?

20 April 2024. Doors will open at 10:40, with the first round draw taking place shortly after. Please arrive before 11:00.

Where is it?

Hemdean House School Hall - a 20 minute walk from Reading station (use the Caversham exit)

Reading is 20 minutes on the train from Paddington, 25 minutes from Oxford, an hour from Bristol, and less than 90 minutes from Birmingham. Even Exeter can be done in less than two hours! There is plenty of free parking available on the school site. The venue is fully wheelchair accessible.

Map

What will I be doing?

Keeping with the traditional format of Reading events, you will be playing 15 round games in 'Bristol' style, where everyone plays the same selections in pairs, with each pair choosing their preferred numbers round format. Game presentation will be using a shiny new purpose built tool - no more switching between spreadsheets and powerpoint! We should be able to fit in at least six games, then the top two players will face each other in a grand final.

The first round will be drawn randomly, but don't worry if you have a bumpy start - for the remaining games you will be playing opponents that have scored similarly to you, so everyone should get some good, well matched games. The primary aim is to have fun!

What about lunch?

You can bring a packed lunch, or there are plenty of local shops in Caversham village, including a very nice vegan cafe! Tea and coffee will be available at the venue - if you do have a travel mug, bring it along.

And after?

I'll sort something out for food nearer the time! Reading has plenty of options. For those who want to make a weekend of it, there is plenty to do in Reading including escape rooms, climbing walls, and plenty of pubs, shops and restaurants.

I'm in - what do I do?

The entry fee is £12. Paypal is preferred. https://www.paypal.me/FionaTitcombe/12GBP. If you can't pay via paypal, then please contact me to make alternative arrangements. Please ensure you select the family and friends option.

Please note your name will be added to the attendees list below and on facebook. If you would prefer for this not to happen, please let us know when you sign up.

Any questions, please contact me and I'll do my best to help.

Look forward to seeing you there!

At time of writing, Novotel is £150 for 2 nights for a room that sleeps 3
EasyHotel is £115 for 2 nights for a double room

fb link - https://www.facebook.com/events/8536351 ... _tab=about

We want everyone to enjoy the event and have a good time. All attendees or organisers of FOCAL events are bound by the FOCAL Code of Conduct regarding respect for boundaries, respect for opponents and fair play. Any breaches of the Code of Conduct can be discussed in confidence with Fiona or any member of the Focal committee.

Confirmed entrants (26)

Phil Stanton
MSR
James Robinson
Darren Godfrey
Lju Laz
Martyn Pegram
Mike Lee
Adam Dexter
Ben Leyburn
Catriona Cappleman
Dave Cappleman
Tom Cappleman
Ruth Cappleman
Nicki Sellars
Jack Hurst
Suzy Turner
Dave Ryan
Sean Fletcher
Dave Robjohns
Adam Beach
Neil Collins
Ram Patel
Maire Bennett
Graeme Cole
Jo Bartram
Archie Rodger
Last edited by Fiona T on Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:34 pm, edited 10 times in total.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Re: CO:Rea - 20 April 2024

Post by JackHurst »

Pretty excited about this. With 15 rounders and a decent letters algorithm this is going to be the most realistic co event I can recall. 😎
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Yep, I really enjoyed the 15R at MSO - will be keen to hear feedback (good or bad!) after about how well it works on a bigger scale.

Thinking about trialling the A/B conundrums suggested elsewhere to allow for adjudication, and possibly different difficulty levels for top half tables after first couple of rounds.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Is Tony Atkins involved or is this just a separate thing from his events?
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

I checked with Tony before organising and he gave his blessing and will bring and present the traditional Reading teapot :) I didn't want to tread on anyone's toes. I'm organising and hosting and the presentation will be computer based using a new hosting tool which will hopefully allow for quicker games. But it's something afaik we haven't tried before, so be prepared for the unexpected!
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Fiona T wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:31 pm Thinking about trialling the A/B conundrums suggested elsewhere to allow for adjudication, and possibly different difficulty levels for top half tables after first couple of rounds.
Yeah it seems like a no brainer to do this!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

This is the day before the London Marathon by the way, so it's unfortunately not doable for me.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:22 am This is the day before the London Marathon by the way, so it's unfortunately not doable for me.
:( We won't keep you out late! (I'm also heading to the marathon to cheer my daughter on, but I think she'll be several hours behind you!)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I think any travelling at all the day before might be a bit tiring, and could be a bit of a risk! Hopefully I'll see you out there in London and good luck to your daughter!
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

Just a note to say Advance train tickets are now available - I've just booked and saved £15 woohoo
ADAM DEXTER: MAXED DATER
We're off to button moon :)
Archie Thomas R.

Post by Archie Thomas R. »

Hiya Fiona! I’m considering this event for my first, so if you get £12 from a random Rodger, don’t put their name in as an entrant as someone else is probably paying for me, I’m about 4 years too young to really pay anything online never mind PayPal.
Thanks!
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Archie Thomas R. wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:47 pm Hiya Fiona! I’m considering this event for my first, so if you get £12 from a random Rodger, don’t put their name in as an entrant as someone else is probably paying for me, I’m about 4 years too young to really pay anything online never mind PayPal.
Thanks!
Cool - will look out for it.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Two months to go!

I've made a provisional booking for 20 people at ZeroDegrees at 6:30pm - menu available on the website, lots of dishes can be veganised!

Please let me know if you'd like to join us for dinner after

https://www.zerodegrees.co.uk/restaurants/reading/
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Fiona T wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:11 pm
Archie Thomas R. wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:47 pm Hiya Fiona! I’m considering this event for my first, so if you get £12 from a random Rodger, don’t put their name in as an entrant as someone else is probably paying for me, I’m about 4 years too young to really pay anything online never mind PayPal.
Thanks!
Cool - will look out for it.
Received thanks Archie. Just a note that you will need to bring a responsible adult to tag along!