Scrabble 'newbie' tournament in Nottingham, 14/02/09

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Ben Wilson
Legend

Scrabble 'newbie' tournament in Nottingham, 14/02/09

Post by Ben Wilson »

Hi everyone

The title kinda says it all really, but allow me to explain- on the 14th I'm hosting on behalf of the ABSP an officially sanctioned Scrabble event in Nottingham for people who have either never played the game before competitively or only played it once or twice. (To avoid confusion regarding this- if you don't know whether or not you're eligible for the tournament, you almost certainly are. :mrgreen:) It's being held at the same venue as last year's CoNot- described by one C. Reams (who will be playing Scrabble on the 14th) as 'the best co-event ever'- and I'm hoping to recreate some of that same CO-event atmosphere at the tournament. Obviously, I can't do that without the regulars, can I? ;)

There's a small £5 entry fee, but it'll get you six games of Scrabble and a provisional entry on the national ratings list. The prizes- supplied by the ABSP and Tilefish, range from sets of Scrabble tiles to, for the winner, a complete deluxe set, including a circular board, electronic timer, deluxe racks and many more items.

The game will be played to the Collins dictionary so there will be some unusual words- a 'cheat sheet' will be sent out in the post prior to the event, though. Unfortunately, you won't be able to use it during games! ;)

For full details including how to enter, please click here. Any questions, feel free to ask in this thread, or drop me a pm.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Scrabble 'newbie' tournament in Nottingham, 14/02/09

Post by Charlie Reams »

Sounds good, I'll be there.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Ben, I'm having difficulty believing the website photo is truly representative of normal tournament scrabblers :?

Anyway, put me down as a provisional yes, but I won't be able to confirm for another month or so while I finalise travel plans. Can't say I've ever been that interested in scrabble, but it sounds like a good event to support, and I might as well give it a try in a tournament setting.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Paul Howe wrote:Ben, I'm having difficulty believing the website photo is truly representative of normal tournament scrabblers :?

Anyway, put me down as a provisional yes, but I won't be able to confirm for another month or so while I finalise travel plans. Can't say I've ever been that interested in scrabble, but it sounds like a good event to support, and I might as well give it a try in a tournament setting.
Erm, it's in two weeks mate.

And the photo is somewhat... unrepresentative of tournament scrabblers. For now, anyway... ;)
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Ben Wilson wrote: Erm, it's in two weeks mate.
Oh dear, complete and utter reading comprehension failure. I'm afraid I might find myself dodging various impromptu projectiles if I announced I was playing scrabble on that particular Saturday, so it's going to have to be a no. Sorry mate :(
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Paul Howe wrote:
Ben Wilson wrote: Erm, it's in two weeks mate.
Oh dear, complete and utter reading comprehension failure. I'm afraid I might find myself dodging various impromptu projectiles if I announced I was playing scrabble on that particular Saturday, so it's going to have to be a no. Sorry mate :(
I found it very amusing to think that those girls in the Facebook group picture are missing their boyfriends who are away at the new Scrabble player event, and decide to give the game a go themselves before making out together.

I wonder if, on average, the sexual prowess of Scrabblers is less than that of Countdowners. Based on the two Scrabble tournaments I have been to, I'd guess that the last time any of them engaged in intercourse was some time in the 1940s, and that was probably because their Scrabble word lists got bombed in the blitz or something.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jon O'Neill wrote: I wonder if, on average, the sexual prowess of Scrabblers is less than that of Countdowners. Based on the two Scrabble tournaments I have been to, I'd guess that the last time any of them engaged in intercourse was some time in the 1940s, and that was probably because their Scrabble word lists got bombed in the blitz or something.
Ha, best post ever award goes to Ginge.
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

Ben Wilson wrote:It's being held at the same venue as last year's CoNot- described by one C. Reams (who will be playing Scrabble on the 14th) as 'the best co-event ever'- and I'm hoping to recreate some of that same CO-event atmosphere at the tournament. Obviously, I can't do that without the regulars, can I? ;)
What is a co-event? It implies you will be sharing the event with some other organisation?

And how can it be for newbies if it has to have regulars in order to work?

I'd really love to come to this, being a reasonable living-room Scrabble player who has never played in a tournament... but sadly my other half may not look to kindly to me disappearing to Notitngham on V Day. Good luck with it though - sounds fun.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Pity, can't get. It's the start of half-term, so I'll be with all the kids skiing somewhere in the Alps. Hope it goes well, and look forward to hearing all about it.
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

I'll be there. Whether I'll be playing or not depends on everyone else really.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Charlie came 2nd out of 24 btw, which makes him the best Scrabbler on the forum behind myself and messrs Holden and Beevers. :) (erm, in reverse order there :oops: )
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Ben Wilson wrote:Charlie came 2nd out of 24 btw, which makes him the best Scrabbler on the forum behind myself and messrs Holden and Beevers. :) (erm, in reverse order there :oops: )
Who came first? Who came 3rd to 24th - is there a list?
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Ben Wilson wrote:Charlie came 2nd out of 24 btw
Aye, there's no mention on the uk-scrabble mailing list either, which is a bit surprising. Still, well done to Charlie and Mystery 1st Place Person anyway and I look forward to seeing the full results in due course.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

JimBentley wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:
Ben Wilson wrote:Charlie came 2nd out of 24 btw
Aye, there's no mention on the uk-scrabble mailing list either, which is a bit surprising. Still, well done to Charlie and Mystery 1st Place Person anyway and I look forward to seeing the full results in due course.
They'll be on uk-s later today, patience!
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Ben Wilson wrote:Charlie came 2nd out of 24 btw, which makes him the best Scrabbler on the forum behind myself and messrs Holden and Beevers. :) (erm, in reverse order there :oops: )
You missed me off the end of this list. I've lost 1 game in 20 on ISC.