Item Request

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Item Request

Post by Ben Wilson »

All the new features do indeed rock. :)

I'm thinking there are a few items missing from the list of collectables though. As a few people mentioned at the coc, getting a Rex on a stick by hammering him in a conundrum attack is all well and good, but beating him in a 9 or 15 rounder deserves special recognition. Perhaps a 'special rex on a stick' or something?

Likewise, why are Darrens not recorded? You could even have awards for double and triple darrens- as infrequently as they come up.

Something for a perfect game too wouldn't go amiss.

I'm only saying this because I recently, finally figured out how pencils got awarded. Use the new features and you may work it out too. :D

Forum thread request: Item request? ;)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Item Request

Post by Charlie Reams »

I figure that people will always have new ideas for items, so having a thread just for that would be no bad idea. Do your worst.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Re: Feature requests

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Ben Wilson wrote:I'm thinking there are a few items missing from the list of collectables though. As a few people mentioned at the coc, getting a Rex on a stick by hammering him in a conundrum attack is all well and good, but beating him in a 9 or 15 rounder deserves special recognition. Perhaps a 'special rex on a stick' or something?
You could also have a little icons for every time you come up with Coutdown regulars like LEOTARD and TANGELO etc :D also one for APTEROUS too :D
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Ben Wilson wrote: I'm only saying this because I recently, finally figured out how pencils got awarded. Use the new features and you may work it out too. :D
Ok, I think I get it now.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

You could also have a trophy for gaming milestones (eg one for every say 500 games you play).
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Joseph Bolas wrote:You could also have a trophy for gaming milestones (eg one for every say 500 games you play).
But the count shouldn't include games against bots.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Howsabout an icon representing Mr Hansford for conundrums solved in less than a second. Your ideas welcome for what it could be...
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

How about items for when you come up with a 9-letter word and also a 12-letter word (excluding the Unlimited format).
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

I think you should get an item just for beating Kirk.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Jimmy wrote:I think you should get an item just for beating Kirk.
Any octochamp too.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

I was thinking "Kirk-killer coin"
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Ian Volante wrote:
Any octochamp too.
To be more specific:

A prize for beating any Octochamp
A prize for beating any Quarterfinalist
A prize for beating any Series Winner
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:
Any octochamp too.
To be more specific:

A prize for beating any Octochamp
A prize for beating any Quarterfinalist
A prize for beating any Series Winner
If you were to do prizes for these, scrap the middle one. Some quarter-finalists have only won like 3 games so is not worthy of a prize. Also supposing you beat a series winner, would you get all 3 prizes? On this thought, if you beat an octochamp, you're almost certainly beating the quarter finalist too as nearly every (if not every) octochamp in the history of Countdown was a quarter finalist, so you might as well scrap the quarter finalist option.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Kirk Bevins wrote:If you were to do prizes for these, scrap the middle one. Some quarter-finalists have only won like 3 games so is not worthy of a prize. Also supposing you beat a series winner, would you get all 3 prizes? On this thought, if you beat an octochamp, you're almost certainly beating the quarter finalist too as nearly every (if not every) octochamp in the history of Countdown was a quarter finalist, so you might as well scrap the quarter finalist option.
I think the Octochamp one sucks because everyone would be bragging about how many Kais on a Stick they have. :cry:
Last edited by Kai Laddiman on Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I might as well save you all the discussion by saying that there's no chance of me doing anything like that. Singling players out is bad. I know some players would be thoroughly embarrassed to have some kind of bounty on their head.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Maybe an item for the game of the week winner, to encourage people to enter their games?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Paul Howe wrote:Maybe an item for the game of the week winner, to encourage people to enter their games?
Yes, good idea. Suggestions anyone?
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Paul Howe wrote:Maybe an item for the game of the week winner, to encourage people to enter their games?
Yes, good idea. Suggestions anyone?
A trophy................on a stick?
Steven Briers
Rookie

Post by Steven Briers »

Probably stating the bleeding obvious but maybe a diary or some sort of calendar.
Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Steven Briers wrote:Probably stating the bleeding obvious but maybe a diary or some sort of calendar.
Yawn...
Steven Briers
Rookie

Post by Steven Briers »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
Steven Briers wrote:Probably stating the bleeding obvious but maybe a diary or some sort of calendar.
Yawn...
I did say it was the bleeding obvious. Ok, how about the Fonz guy from Happy Days.
Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Kevin Davis
Acolyte

Post by Kevin Davis »

Steven Briers wrote:
Kai Laddiman wrote:
Yawn...
I did say it was the bleeding obvious. Ok, how about the Fonz guy from Happy Days.
Or an ice-cream dessert (ie a Sunday/e).
Oh, cackwires!
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Martin Jarvis' head on a stick?
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Kevin Davis
Acolyte

Post by Kevin Davis »

Martin Gardner wrote:Martin Jarvis' head on a stick?
Because his anecdotes take a week to tell?
Oh, cackwires!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Winners of Aptobashes etc should finally find their rewards in their inventory from today.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

The Applet currently appears to be having issues with a blue egg amongst other things, I'm not sure this is completely the cause of its woes however!
Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Post by Andrew Feist »

A thought that may not be technically feasible: a chicken award for someone who types a valid 9 (or maybe a valid max) in the box, but chooses a lesser word instead. (You can then add a burnt chicken for such a person whose opponent then scores with the 9.)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Andrew Feist wrote:A thought that may not be technically feasible: a chicken award for someone who types a valid 9 (or maybe a valid max) in the box, but chooses a lesser word instead. (You can then add a burnt chicken for such a person whose opponent then scores with the 9.)
That is a fucking good idea, and I'm willing to break some stuff to make it work. (I would've got one myself this morning :()
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Andrew Feist wrote:A thought that may not be technically feasible: a chicken award for someone who types a valid 9 (or maybe a valid max) in the box, but chooses a lesser word instead. (You can then add a burnt chicken for such a person whose opponent then scores with the 9.)
That is a fucking good idea, and I'm willing to break some stuff to make it work. (I would've got one myself this morning :()
I also think this is a fucking good idea, and I wish I'd declared earlier that it was a fucking good idea rather than waiting for Charlie to confirm that it is, indeed, a fucking good idea.

Charlie would have got the burnt chicken, and as such, I should have been rewarded with a big shiny pair of balls. As an item.