Science is Vital

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

John Bosley
Enthusiast

Science is Vital

Post by John Bosley »

If you think science is important and you would like to help protect it from government cuts there is more here:-

http://scienceisvital.org.uk/write-to-your-mp/
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Re: Science is Vital

Post by John Bosley »

Anyone sign the petition then? :)
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

The thing is with this, while science is so obviously vital it doesn't need saying, I've read this website and I've still got no idea what they're campaigning about.

What funding is going to be cut? To support which research projects? How much of that funding could come, or indeed does already come, from within the private industry? What about science education - does that come from this or from another funding place? How about the healthcare science - whose purse does that come out of? Or some of the space, or computing, or particle, or etc. etc. etc. It's such a huge subject.

Not all research is valid, and not everything that is written is right. I think they need to be far clearer about the aims of their mission, rather than just a wishy-washy 'science is vital' and 'funds are being cut'. If they crystallised what research they wanted to support they'd have a much better response.
Lowering the averages since 2009
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

I agree with every word, Lesley. I would have liked to like it, but that seems to have stopped working.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Rosemary Roberts wrote:I would have liked to like it, but that seems to have stopped working.
Yeah, come on Charlie, what's going on here?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

I like thorough criticism; I get it all the time. However, it is all a matter of opinion and no-one has to sign summat they don't want to. I did.
I guess I should give my side of the argument, but I am not a scientist and will only make myself look even more stupid.

:)
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ian Volante wrote:
Rosemary Roberts wrote:I would have liked to like it, but that seems to have stopped working.
I blame science. I'm glad funding is being cut.
George F. Jenkins
Rookie

Post by George F. Jenkins »

Jon Corby wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:
I blame science. I'm glad funding is being cut.
Why not cut science? Everything else British is now made overseas. That beautiful new British Liner was built in Italy. Most tools we buy are made abroad because labour is cheap. Household implements are made in all sorts of asian countries, because labour is cheap. On a television programme, I heard an Indian worker say that they are worried, because their employers have found that labour is cheaper in China. So why not let the scientists go? there are plenty of countries waiting to exploit science. We will finally be what Napoleon said we are, a nation of shopkeepers, with young people desperate to find even part time work in shops. I know of three young ladies who have completed College, but can't find work, even in a shop. So why not cut science when all our manufacturing industries have been located abroad for cheap labour, and other countries will benefit from our reserch?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

George F. Jenkins wrote:Why not cut science?
Good question.
George F. Jenkins wrote:We will finally be what Napoleon said we are, a nation of shopkeepers, with young people desperate to find even part time work in shops.
Good answer.