Recap: Mini Mischief Madness Mega Mayhem (Aug 2nd)

Round-by-round summaries of every game in recent series; for every series in the last 5 years, try cdb, the Countdown database. Obviously this forum contains spoilers!

Moderator: James Robinson

Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Recap: Mini Mischief Madness Mega Mayhem (Aug 2nd)

Post by Ryan Taylor »

It is another Countdown Special for the second Monday in a row and I have the joy of recapping it although this time not as Rihanna. I will be taking longer than usual on this recap, not because I love the two contestants more, but because a particularly vicious letter box has savaged my middle finger so I can't use it to type.

Countdown recap for Monday 2 August 2010.

C1: Kai Laddiman.
C2: Dinos Sfyris.
DC: Susie Dent and Gary Osborne.
RR: Rachel Riley.
OT: Other words or solutions.

R01: S A D O B E R A V
R02: C D I T A S I E P
R03: I E R N I R N A L
R04: K S O N E F I C T
R05: 100, 50, 25, 75, 3, 6. Target: 384.
TTT: DEADENDS - "It's not a crossword but one down springs to mind"
R06: B T E D U Q O L I
R07: R G A I Y O F D T
R08: R P E R O M A P R
R09: E L P U E S T S I
R10: 50, 3, 6, 9, 10, 4. Target: 273.
TTT: BREAKSIN - "Uncovered flesh on the rug perhaps"
R11: H E I X T O J U S
R12: W S A R E V I Z H
R13: O A G D E U L G N
R14: 8, 5, 4, 10, 2, 5. Target: 295.
R15: M I S T Y P O O P (conundrum)

Kai Laddiman is looking considerably gingerer than when we last saw him on the box. He is also not wearing his Chelsea shirt but in fact one that says 'Take it Easy' which reminds me of a great Mika song. Only kidding, Mika's SHIT. If anything I would say Kai had shrunk since he was last on, or maybe the chairs have got bigger? So if anyone needs reminding, Kai was on octochamp in series 59 and lost to Charlie Reams in his semi-final. Since then he has done a GCSE in maths and some AS level modules also in maths but to allow him to walk through future doors - he did shit in them 'cos he's thick. On my one encounter with Kai I was constantly bullied by him for my pronunciation of the word 'coke' but since his mother was there I couldn't kick him in the head. I really want him to lose today.

Dinos Sfyris is the man I'm hoping will beat Kai today. Despite looking younger and having considerably less body hair than Kai, Dinos is actually older. Dinos appeared on Countdown in 2007 when he won 3 games before being beaten by Dorian Lidell who despite having a girl's name and hair like a girl does in fact own a penis. (I'm going to get death threats if Dorian reads this). Anyway, since then, Dinos has been on 'The Weakest Link' finishing a cruel third and was pipped at the post in a tense 'Krypton Factor' match, remembered for those legs and that face. Just what became of Alec Rivers? One of the great mysteries of the 21st century. Oh, and before I forget (or before Dinos can say) he has also become engaged to Emma.

Gary Osborne is here again. Score!

And now a brief interlude before our main feature:

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Enjoy the show.

Round 1: S A D O B E R A V

C1: bravadoes
C2: bravadoes
DC: BRAVADO (7) SEABOARD (8)
Score: 0–0 (max 8)

The idiots think sticking -ES on BRAVADO is acceptable. Pfft. There was however a nice 8 with SEABOARD which is basically the coastline or the area surrounding the sea. That aside, both Dinos and Kai have 0 points after 1 round. I'm beginning to wonder why I bothered to tune in.

Round 2: C D I T A S I E P

C1: ASEPTIC (7)
C2: ASPECT (6)
DC: DICIEST (7) DEPICTS (7)
OT: PACIEST (7) DEISTIC (7)
Score: 7–0 (max 15)

Dinos is generous here allowing Kai to take 7 points just so he doesn't cry.

Round 3: I E R N I R N A L

C1: RAINIER (7)
C2: ANILINE (7)
DC: AIRLINER (8)
Score: 14–7 (max 23)

But Dinos can't resist showing off with some chemistry knowledge. ANILINE is an "oily poisonous liquid amine obtained from nitrobenzene and used to make dyes and plastics and medicines".

Round 4: K S O N E F I C T

C1: SECTION (7)
C2: CONFITS (7)
OT: INFECTS (7) KENOTIC (7) KETONIC (7) NOTICES (7) SNICKET (7)
Score: 21–14 (max 30)

A dodgy 7 is accepted by Susie to be fine and both of them max the round.

Round 5: 100, 50, 25, 75, 3, 6. Target: 384.

C1: 383.
C2: 384. (6/(50/25)+100)*3+75 (10)
Score: 21–24 (max 40)

Kai asks for "2 small and any 4 large of your choice" in hope of extending his lead but Dinos masterfully solves this one. A celebration and a cry of "GET IN!" from Dinos annoys Kai. Life tip to Dinos: don't anger redheads.

DC Guest Time: Gary Osborne tells of the time he was mistaken outside a strip club for Noddy Holder. Quite an easy mistake to make. He once met Noddy Holder in the toilet of the Savoy hotel although in Gary's words they "both had their hands full". If you shake it more than twice you're playing with it lads.

Teatime teaser: DEADENDS -> SADDENED

Round 6: B T E D U Q O L I

C1: QUILTED (7)
C2: OBLIQUE (7)
DC: QUODLIBET (18)
Score: 28–31 (max 58)

When only 7's looked like the best here I was astonished to hear Susie say 9. Although less astonished when credit was given to Damian upstairs as he found QUODLIBET. Absolutely insane. Kudos to those who got it at home.

Round 7: R G A I Y O F D T

C1: GRATIFY (7)
C2: drafty
DC: RATIFY (6)
Score: 35–31 (max 65)

Dinos probably still thinking about that awesome 9 is beaten by Kai's darren, showing that he's not just a pretty face. I can say that right?

Round 8: R P E R O M A P R

C1: PROPER (6)
C2: PAMPERO (7)
DC: RAPPER (6)
Score: 35–38 (max 72)

Dinos has a nice spot and has wind, two things not desirable to have on television. He regains his lead with the only 7 PAMPERO.

Round 9: E L P U E S T S I

C1: EPISTLES (8)
C2: SLEEPSUIT (18)
Score: 35–56 (max 90)

I never thought it would happen, but SLEEPSUIT pops up on the show again. SLEEPSUIT gained fame after being the crucial conundrum in the series 61 semi-final between Chris Davies and Innis Carson. When the first S came out that was all that was on my mind...then the T came out...and S...vowel Kai, VOWEL!! Yesss! (Orgasmed) This is gonna be awesome. Sadly Kai doesn't possess a memory leaving Dinos to tell the viewers that he does indeed have SLEEPSUIT for 9. Almost as if it was fixed. Let the conspiracies begin.

Susie's Origin of Words: Why are we said to be 'blackballed' when ostracised from something asks a viewer. This dates back to the 18th and 19th centuries in the gentlemen's clubs were you could be denied entry into one of these clubs by a vote being taken (using white and black balls). Just one black ball could be enough to be a complete no no and thus making you ineligible to enter. This is also where 'ballot' comes from as they used to use balls to vote.

Round 10: 50, 3, 6, 9, 10, 4. Target: 273.

C1: 273. ((50/(10-9))-4)*6-3 (10)
C2: 273. 6*50-3*9 (10)
Score: 45–66 (max 100)

After the SLEEPSUIT round Kai is left 21 points behind so ideally needs this numbers game. Dinos asks Rachel for an "engagement ring" and is rewarded with an easy target. Kai shows his maths brain by using all the numbers, if this was any other show or any other contestant I would be in a fit of rage. Dinos parodies the cocky swig of water as the clock counts down. After nailing this game they both high five, with the majority of leanage done my the big man.

Teatime teaser: BREAKSIN -> BEARSKIN

Round 11: H E I X T O J U S

C1: HOIST (5)
C2: toushe
DC: JOUST (5) EXITS (5) HOUSE (5)
OT: OUTJIES (7)
Score: 50–66 (max 107)

Kai has just 5 whilst Dinos gets arsey and goes for a strange 6. Not in, but smiles all round.

Round 12: W S A R E V I Z H

C1: WAIVERS (7)
C2: WAIVERS (7)
DC: WAREZ (5)
OT: WASHIER (7) WHARVES (7)
Score: 57–73 (max 114)

Dinos plays for the audience whilst checking Kai's paper - "say I've got the same or I'll cry". :lol:

Round 13: O A G D E U L G N

C1: LOUNGED (7)
C2: LOUNGED (7)
DC: GUDGEON (7)
OT: GANGLED (7) LANGUED (7)
Score: 64–80 (max 121)

They both wonder about UNLOGGED^ but seven is the best you can get. Dinos is looking good for the victory with just the numbers to go. 1 or 2 large probably coming up to make it safe.

Round 14: 8, 5, 4, 10, 2, 5. Target: 295.

C1: 295. (8*4*2+5-10)*5 (10)
C2: 295. (8*4-2)*10-5 (10)
Score: 74–90 (max 131)

:o 6 small! Nice to see this as Dinos says himself that "this defies all logic and tactics" but we all know his 6 small is pretty good. As such both of them get it, Kai again using all 6 numbers and this special game is done and dusted. Just the conundrum to go.

Round 15: M I S T Y P O O P

C1 buzzes on 11 seconds to say POMPOSITY which is correct.
Final Score: 84–90 (max 141)

Which is solved by Mr Laddiman saying POMPOSITY in that dirty southern accent of his. A wonderful game which won't be getting deleted from my sky planner anytime soon. Great to watch, definitely catch it online rather than reading a shitty recap. Kai goes for a premature hug before both youngsters do eventually hug after Jeff says a few words. Dinos is now facing charges of sexual abuse after touching Kai in that way.

The lights dim down and the credits roll as Kai and Dinos start to buffoon about but then this big fucking shit advert for '10 Years Younger' covers half the TV screen meaning we can't see what they are pratting about at. A simple voice over about what's on later isn't good enough for Channel 4 they need a big picture too for all the people who are deaf. Unbelievable.

What have we learnt today? That the north is definitely the best, Kai doesn't possess a frown, Gary Osborne makes a decent DC guest and that good always triumphs over evil.

Until next time, good pie!

Further summaries are at:
http://www.apterous.org/cdb/series.php?series=-14
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: Recap: Mini Mischief Madness Mega Mayhem (Aug 2nd)

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Just what became of Alec Rivers? One of the great mysteries of the 21st century. Oh, and before I forget (or before Dinos can say) he has also become engaged to Emma.
Shit, this is crazy news. Where did you find this out? I've checked Alec's Facebook page and I can't find reference to it anywhere.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
The lights dim down and the credits roll as Kai and Dinos start to buffoon about but then this big fucking shit advert for '10 Years Younger' covers half the TV screen meaning we can't see what they are pratting about at. A simple voice over about what's on later isn't good enough for Channel 4 they need a big picture too for all the people who are deaf. Unbelievable.
I hope you meant this as a joke, Ryan, otherwise I'd be pretty pissed.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Liam Tiernan wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:
I don't understand. Why? Me and Kai started throwing scrunched up paper and skewering each other with pens but were obscured by the silly ad.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:
Liam Tiernan wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:
I don't understand. Why? Me and Kai started throwing scrunched up paper and skewering each other with pens but were obscured by the silly ad.
Not on 4od you're not... :)
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:
Liam Tiernan wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:
I may be wrong but I think Liam told me before that he has hearing difficulties, so thats probably why
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Liam Tiernan wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:
Err yes, a joke, that's what it was.
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

will watch forreal when I get back from holiday (I'm in an internet cafe ATM) but this sounds bare awesumsauce, well done to both!