Spoilers For Wednesday June 9th 2010

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Re: Spoilers For Wednesday June 9th 2010

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Scott Gillies wrote:
James Robinson wrote:It seems that Scott's local paper has got in on the act of celebrating its new hero:

http://www.lennoxherald.co.uk/dunbarton ... -26613753/
where the fk/ how the fk did u come across that? lol
Google "Scott Gillies countdown".
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Scott Gillies wrote:
James Robinson wrote:It seems that Scott's local paper has got in on the act of celebrating its new hero:

Or here :arrow: http://www.dumbartonreporter.co.uk/news ... own-king-/
Isn't google stalking fun. :)
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Marc Meakin wrote:
Scott Gillies wrote:

Or here :arrow: http://www.dumbartonreporter.co.uk/news ... own-king-/
Isn't google stalking fun. :)
Honeysuckle Lane sounds like a nice place to live. I'm going to google street view it.
Scott Gillies
Rookie

Post by Scott Gillies »

i can understand that if for some reason you google my name that would come up. but why the fk would james be googling my name? lol. he could've been playing my dad online and he may have mentioned it i suppose then he googled it. Not that i care just thought it was funny and bizarre lol
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Scott Gillies wrote:i can understand that if for some reason you google my name that would come up. but why the fk would james be googling my name? lol. he could've been playing my dad online and he may have mentioned it i suppose then he googled it. Not that i care just thought it was funny and bizarre lol
If you must know, I googled "Countdown", as I always do at work to get on here. It gets me to Mike's "Countdown Page", then onto here. Don't ask why I don't just type this page in on the address bar.

I just happened to check the news stories, but unfortunately hardly any are about the show, since the word "countdown" has obviously many other meanings, but then I saw the name of "Scott Gillies", so I had a read and then pasted it on here. :D
Scott Gillies
Rookie

Post by Scott Gillies »

James Robinson wrote:
Scott Gillies wrote:i can understand that if for some reason you google my name that would come up. but why the fk would james be googling my name? lol. he could've been playing my dad online and he may have mentioned it i suppose then he googled it. Not that i care just thought it was funny and bizarre lol
If you must know, I googled "Countdown", as I always do at work to get on here. It gets me to Mike's "Countdown Page", then onto here. Don't ask why I don't just type this page in on the address bar.

I just happened to check the news stories, but unfortunately hardly any are about the show, since the word "countdown" has obviously many other meanings, but then I saw the name of "Scott Gillies", so I had a read and then pasted it on here. :D
oh right, not a bad explanation from you there i'll let you off lol. quite funny though. i done both they interviews whilst drunk on a stag do as well over the phone lol
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

lol
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

roflmao
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

chorts
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Jon Corby wrote:If you overheard Susie & the DC guest whisper a good word to each other and nobody realised I guess you could claim it. "In the rules" though? Of course not.
That happened to me. After about five seconds the DC guest whispered a word so loudly that my opponent in the challenger's chair heard it as well as me. It threw me a little, and by the end of 30 seconds I still had nothing else to equal or better it. I decided that it was a word I would probably have got anyway, and I shouldn't be penalised for something that wasn't my doing, so I went with it. Fortunately, perhaps, justice was done as my opponent had a better word.

I'm pretty sure I never gave a single "not written down" solution, but I don't think I'd have any qualms about doing things that Jon, and a lot of others, would call cheating. So long as you don't hesitate for even a split second I think it's OK, which is pretty low on the ethics scale compared to some. The one I object to is the people who have a long think before deciding whether to risk a dodgy word or not. Just because you've written a few words down you don't get a bit more time to decide which one to go with.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

David Williams wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:If you overheard Susie & the DC guest whisper a good word to each other and nobody realised I guess you could claim it. "In the rules" though? Of course not.
That happened to me. After about five seconds the DC guest whispered a word so loudly that my opponent in the challenger's chair heard it as well as me. It threw me a little, and by the end of 30 seconds I still had nothing else to equal or better it. I decided that it was a word I would probably have got anyway, and I shouldn't be penalised for something that wasn't my doing, so I went with it. Fortunately, perhaps, justice was done as my opponent had a better word.
This happened to me several times, and fortunately I always had something at least as good already, so I just hoped my opponent hadn't heard. The only one that really cost me was the series final, where I had MISCOUNT and COUNTIES which would have won the round, and then Susie said "MISCOUNT???" really loudly and the round had to be retaken :( But Junaid owned up to having heard it, so for that great act of sportsmanship, overall justice was done once again.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Charlie Reams wrote:
David Williams wrote:
This happened to me several times, and fortunately I always had something at least as good already, so I just hoped my opponent hadn't heard. The only one that really cost me was the series final, where I had MISCOUNT and COUNTIES which would have won the round, and then Susie said "MISCOUNT???" really loudly and the round had to be retaken :( But Junaid owned up to having heard it, so for that great act of sportsmanship, overall justice was done once again.
Really? You probably would've won that round but you didn't win the re-taken round, did you?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jon O'Neill wrote: Really? You probably would've won that round but you didn't win the re-taken round, did you?
No I didn't, but Junaid's honesty was rewarded when he won the game.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote: Really? You probably would've won that round but you didn't win the re-taken round, did you?
No I didn't, but Junaid's honesty was rewarded when he won the game.
I see what you mean. But you probably would've done the same thing, altruism being what it is.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

One does wonder why Dictionary Corner can't just write words down rather than whisper to each other. Maybe your typical celebrity doesn't read or write so well.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

David Williams wrote:One does wonder why Dictionary Corner can't just write words down rather than whisper to each other. Maybe your typical celebrity doesn't read or write so well.
When Susie does that, you get your "SEABED" moments and it's no less embarrassing.
Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Post by Chris Davies »

Charlie Reams wrote:
David Williams wrote:One does wonder why Dictionary Corner can't just write words down rather than whisper to each other. Maybe your typical celebrity doesn't read or write so well.
When Susie does that, you get your "SEABED" moments and it's no less embarrassing.
I always wondered why one of Victoria Mather's phrases on apterous is just 'Seabed' - what happened there?
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Chris Davies wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
I always wondered why one of Victoria Mather's phrases on apterous is just 'Seabed' - what happened there?
Apparently she pronounced it like the past tense of the verb SEAB. I don't know who Victoria Mather is.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Best bit of the whole show. Didn't Susie once say that when she was first on the show she asked a contestant to spell a word that she hadn't quite heard, and then started looking up DOING as if it was a variant on DING or DONG?