Text too small

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Edwin Mead
Rookie

Text too small

Post by Edwin Mead »

I've just bought and installed a new PC, but when playing Apterous the text is far too small to play without giving me a headache.

Altering the general screen text size doesn't change the size of the text within Apterous. I suspect it's something to do with Java.

Can anyone suggest anything please?
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Re: Text too small

Post by Craig Beevers »

Changing your screen resolution would be one crude way of making the text bigger.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Edwin Mead wrote:I've just bought and installed a new PC, but when playing Apterous the text is far too small to play without giving me a headache.
Which text is too small for you to be able to play? And what sort of font size are you used to (I'm quite short-sighted, so I might be able to suggest things, but it's useful to know the parameters of the problem first).
Edwin Mead
Rookie

Post by Edwin Mead »

After tinkering a bit further yesterday evening, I think that the problem is that Windows 7 does not like my square old monitor. Increasing the font size helps me view/read everything except Apterous (but what's the point of having a computer if you can't play Apterous?)

I discovered a tool in Windows called Magnifier, which zooms in to a section of the screen. I think it's designed for partially-sighted people, but I think I'll be able to use it to play Apterous (but won't be able to see any of the chat logs). I'll have another go this evening.

:(
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Edwin Mead wrote:After tinkering a bit further yesterday evening, I think that the problem is that Windows 7 does not like my square old monitor. Increasing the font size helps me view/read everything except Apterous (but what's the point of having a computer if you can't play Apterous?)

I discovered a tool in Windows called Magnifier, which zooms in to a section of the screen. I think it's designed for partially-sighted people, but I think I'll be able to use it to play Apterous (but won't be able to see any of the chat logs). I'll have another go this evening.

:(
I'm afraid I don't know anything about Windows 7, but on the Linux distro I use (ubuntu) there's an awesome keyboard shortcut where I can zoom in (x2 or x3), and out with the press of a couple of buttons. It's really handy for looking at stuff, and is a lot less clunky than the Windows Magnifier I remember, and there might be a similar thing for Windows 7, but I don't know unfortunately.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Michael Wallace wrote:I'm afraid I don't know anything about Windows 7, but on the Linux distro I use (ubuntu)
Is that like pbuh?