What's the best concert you've ever been to?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

What's the best concert you've ever been to?

Post by Philip Jarvis »

In my youth, I used to go to concerts on a fairly regular basis, but it’s a rare event nowadays. The groups / artists I have seen “live” have been many and varied. It’s therefore difficult to categorise which was the best.

Although biggest may not necessarily mean best, some of the best have been large open-air concerts, all involving the Rolling Stones. In reverse chronological order, I went to see the Stones at Don Valley stadium, Sheffield in 1995; Roundhay Park, Leeds in 1982 and Knebworth in 1976. Knebworth was a legendary concert with 250,000 people turning up. It also proved to be the last concert of both 10cc and Lynyrd Skynyrd (key members of the latter group died in a plane crash shortly afterwards).

During the 70’s, my personal favourite group was Be Bop Deluxe, featuring superb lead guitar work from Bill Nelson. I saw them 27 times in total. Other bands I went to see in the 70’s / early 80’s included (in alpha order):

David Bowie
Boomtown Rats
Cockney Rebel
Mott the Hoople
Queen
Roxy Music
Status Quo
The Damned
Thin Lizzy

In the late 80’s / 90’s, the frequency of my concert going diminished. However, there are 2 which really stick in my mind:
1. Bryan Adams supported by T’Pau in Leeds
2. Simply Red supported by Terence Trent D’Arby in Bradford

In more recent times, I went to see Bryan Adams in February 2008 at the Hard Rock Hotel in Las Vegas. This year, we returned to Vegas in January and went to see Tom Jones at the MGM. Both were really enjoyable concerts, with the added novelty of Vegas waitresses serving us with drinks throughout the gig.

I’ll be going to my most expensive concert in June next year to celebrate my wife’s birthday. I’ve recently bought 2 tickets close to the stage for a Leona Lewis concert at Manchester MEN Arena. We’re both really looking forward to that.

What’s the best concert you’ve ever been to?
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: What's the best concert you've ever been to?

Post by Charlie Reams »

Have seen numerous acts of awesomeness over the years but can't remember anything better than Rage Against The Machine at Leeds. Boy do those kids know how to please a crowd. The first time I saw Dizzee Rascal was also pretty orgasmic.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

I've been to a few monster gigs. I went to Live 8 on the eve of my 30th birthday, so that was a fantastic way to end my 20s. Seeing Pink Floyd live was an ambition I thought I'd never achieve. Usually I find that going to a gig for many artists (Glastonbury, Leeds, Reading, V Festival etc.) is a different thing to booking to see the band, but at Live 8 it felt like you were "part of something" (trying not to be horribly corny).

I saw Bon Jovi at Cardiff Arms Park, who were supported by Thunder and Van Halen. Unfortunately Van Halen blew them off stage, but it was still a great gig. I've seen the Stereophonics a couple of times and they've always been amazing. Belinda Carlisle at Warwick Student's Union was a great gig just cos there were so few people there, same as seeing Then Jericho. We saw Oasis last June and the music was fantastic, but I thought the atmosphere there was really oppressive.

I've also played guitar with Rick Parfitt and Francis Rossi, and the Swingin' Blue Jeans *smug* (but there were extenuating circumstances ;) )

For my pick of the festival type gigs, Rolf Harris was one of the highlights of my life! So was doing Rod Stewart's 'Do ya think I'm sexy' on hb's shoulders, seeing Flea from the Chili Peps streaking on stage, and Kevin Rowlands in a basque.

Significant others were Shirley Bassey (the woman's a star) and a special mention for the Sadlers Well's pianist - he did something to The Nutcracker that no other musician I've ever heard has done :D.
Lowering the averages since 2009
Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Post by Chris Davies »

Philip Jarvis wrote: During the 70’s, my personal favourite group was Be Bop Deluxe, featuring superb lead guitar work from Bill Nelson. I saw them 27 times in total.
I love Be Bop Deluxe. I've had their live CD 'Live in the Air Age' for just over a year and I can't get enough of it.

I haven't been to any live concerts, except for Rick Wakeman when I was 7 or so. I just can't stand large crowds - always been that way :(
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

Chris Davies wrote:
Philip Jarvis wrote: During the 70’s, my personal favourite group was Be Bop Deluxe, featuring superb lead guitar work from Bill Nelson. I saw them 27 times in total.
I love Be Bop Deluxe. I've had their live CD 'Live in the Air Age' for just over a year and I can't get enough of it.

I haven't been to any live concerts, except for Rick Wakeman when I was 7 or so. I just can't stand large crowds - always been that way :(
It's a real shame you can't get to concerts Chris. You're missing out on a fantastic experience.

I'm pleased to hear you enjoy BBD. I met up with an old friend of mine when we went to Vegas for my 50th last year and he gave me a copy of Air Age Anthology as a present. I'd recommend you try get a copy. It contains a good selection of tracks from Be Bops albums over the years. I prefer some of the earlier tracks, particularly Axe Victim, Adventures in a Yorkshire landscape and Between the Worlds. You might also want to try Tremulous Antenna which is another selection of live recordings.
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Seeing Carcass reformed at Damnation Festival 2008 was pretty special, both times I've seen Metallica too were very good, although I think seeing them last year at Newcastle trumped Donington '95, where they were a bit flabby in places.

Slayer have been great a few times, seen them so often now that it's hard to pick out a favourite, but Donington '95 was pretty special, never been in such a brutal crowd. First ever gig (Biohazard, Bradford Rio's '94) was stunningly good fun, Dog Eat Dog supporting proved to be great live too, although not what I'd normally go for.

Oh yes, System of a Down at Ozzfest 2001 were great too, although they were cut short by the huge thunderstorm that struck while they were coming to a climax.

EDIT: Also, how could I forget, both times I've seen Muse have been stunning. First time at Meadowbank, Edinburgh was brilliant, a couple of days after having seen Radiohead at the same place who were also pretty damn good. Second time was at Wembley when they recorded the DVD, and even though we were at the opposite end of the stadium it was wonderful.
Last edited by Ian Volante on Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

I definitely prefer smaller gigs myself. There was a venue in Cork (capacity 80 ppl) called The Lobby Bar which is now sadly gone but luckily I saw some of my favourite musicians at the time there before it closed.

I saw Wilco at the Olympia in Dublin (99, summerteeth tour) and although I had never heard of them (was given a free ticket by a friend that his boss had won in a pub quiz or raffle or something!) it turned out to be an unbelievable performance from a brilliant band.

A similar experience happened in Cork in 2008 with Efterklang, a Danish band i'd never heard of. The guy who owns the venue insisted I come along as he knew I'd love them and as he was letting me in for free i thought what the heck and headed down alone. Turned out to be one of the best performances I've ever seen.

Went to see Arcade Fire in Oslo in 07 - which despite the subdued audience, was a seriously powerful performance.

Top of the pile though, has to be Radiohead in Marlay Park, Dublin, in 2006. Beck's opening show was probably worth the 50odd quid alone, but playing a slice of every record they'd released to that point as they weren't touring an album for a change, Radiohead were simply awesome. I've seen them three times and this one is head and shoulders above the rest.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Being a regular gig-goer, I've got about 650 concerts to choose from, but off the top of my head:

Go-Go's supported by Lunachicks, Maritime Hall, San Francisco, 1999, was pretty special for me.

Mansun's set supporting the Manic Street Preachers, Paradiso, Amsterdam, 1998, was mind-blowingly good. Best support slot ever.
Phil Makepeace
Acolyte

Post by Phil Makepeace »

Before its tragic demise, the London Astoria was my favourite venue by miles. My top Astoria moments:

Porcupine Tree (November 2006)
My Life Story (December 2006)
Eels (May 2006)

However, all my overall top 5 are from other venues:

1. Belle and Sebastian (Barbican, 2005)
2. Frank Turner (Oxford Zodiac, 2007)
3. Mogwai (Field Day Festival, 2009)
4. The Hold Steady (Reading Festival, 2007)
5. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (Latitude, 2009)

#1 had no unnecessary security (extraordinary for a London venue post-7/7), no wankers, no disappointment. Even a stage invasion during the last song was allowed.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Best ever would definitely be pretty well any Count Basie concert I went to. Numerous in the 50s and 60s. Closely followed by many Duke Ellington concerts, Ray Charles, Ella Fitzgerald, Oscar Peterson, and many others.

Of pop concerts, it would have to be a choice between the Beatles' Christmas show at the Hammersmith Odeon in the early 60s, and a Tamla Motown concert at Portsmouth in 64/65, featuring Diana Ross and the Supremes, Martha and the Vandellas, Little Stevie Wonder (before his voice broke) and numerous other TM groups. Regrettably, no Jackson Five.
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Howard Somerset wrote:Best ever would definitely be pretty well any Count Basie concert I went to.
I'm very jealous - the guy was a genius, and could make anything swing like crazy. If I did any more academic research it would include trying to work out how he did it. Sadly I only got onto him after he had died, so I have to make do with recordings.

I didn't go to see U2 when they came to Exeter University in 1983 - a decision I regret in retrospect, but I was resolutely into classical then. I go to listen to very few concerts, but did go to a wonderful Prom with the Concertgebouw Orchestra doing Mahler 6 a few years ago ... which reminds me of a great Bruckner 8 they did in Bristol in about 1981 for which I had been given a free ticket.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Wow. Howard wins!
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Howard Somerset wrote:
Of pop concerts, it would have to be a choice between the Beatles' Christmas show at the Hammersmith Odeon in the early 60s...
I was there too Howard... I think I told you to shut up because you were screaming the whole time...

I also saw the Beatles at a charity concert at the Palladium when they swung above the audince on trapeze wires. During the same "Night of a 100 Stars", Judy Garland performed too. A few weeks later she was dead so rather regretted shouting out, "Drop dead you out-of-tune fat cow!" at her :oops:
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Actually, in our local chipper, there's a U2 gold disc on the wall, and beside it, a photo of Bono presenting it to the owner back in the day! He must've really liked the chips.