Pop, pop, pop Master + THE CHAIN

Cerebral distractions of every kind, mostly but not exclusively Countdown-related.

Moderator: Michael Wallace

Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Re: Pop, pop, pop Master + THE CHAIN

Post by Allan Harmer »

Ian - Many congratulations on your 39. The questions are so tough these days that any score over twenty is very good.

I have been ticking over mainly in the teens this week, with 9 the worst and 21 the best.

My 9 / 30 would be Dire Straits, Beatles, Rod Stewart, with back-up from The Searchers or most 60's and 70's pop Bands.

The quiz went to last Friday aws a bit hit and miss. Coincidentally, our first question was Sugar Baby Love by the Rubettes and it was the first question in Pop Master on Thursday, I think. We came second last in the quiz, so could really have done with some support from our high quality quizzers on the Forum.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Allan Harmer wrote: BTW Sue - I wish I was coming to your event in Canterbury, too. Sounds like a great night, with two of my all-time favs. Will Alan Price be fronting The Animals?
I didn't catch the name of who was was fronting the Animals - Tony someone - but he looked a lot younger than the others. But, after a while they brought on Spencer Davis and the rest of the gig was an Animals/Spencer Davis Band combo. It was very good and I knew loads more somgs than I expected to.
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Awful day today, 12 and 24. Nine in thirty of course though.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Bob De Caux
Enthusiast

Post by Bob De Caux »

Ian Volante wrote:Awful day today, 12 and 24. Nine in thirty of course though.
Yep, absolute stinker - 18 and 21. Who the hell chooses Beatles B-sides?! Great work on the 39, Ian, certainly didn't get that.

For 9 in 30, my top ones would be:

The Smiths
Blur
Oasis
OMD
Erasure
Take That
The Lightning Seeds :oops:
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Bob De Caux wrote:
Yep, absolute stinker - 18 and 21. Who the hell chooses Beatles B-sides?! Great work on the 39, Ian, certainly didn't get that.

The Smiths
Blur
Oasis
OMD
Erasure
Take That
Cheers!

Ah yes, Erasure would be a good one.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Ian Volante wrote:
Bob De Caux wrote:

The Smiths
Blur
Oasis
OMD
Erasure
Take That
Cheers!

Ah yes, Erasure would be a good one.
I got one Beatles B side right with an educated guess. I love Blur, Oasis and The LSeeds but I wouldn't know which tracks are singles. Missed the quiz today. Are you two interested in doing Eggheads? Then I might have enough people to do a North and South team.
Fool's top.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Sue Sanders wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:[
Would love to do Eggheads, just say the word and I'll be there!
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Sue Sanders wrote:
Allan Harmer wrote: BTW Sue - I wish I was coming to your event in Canterbury, too. Sounds like a great night, with two of my all-time favs. Will Alan Price be fronting The Animals?
I didn't catch the name of who was was fronting the Animals - Tony someone - but he looked a lot younger than the others. But, after a while they brought on Spencer Davis and the rest of the gig was an Animals/Spencer Davis Band combo. It was very good and I knew loads more somgs than I expected to.
Sounds like a good night Sue - Anyone who has been performing for over 40 years can't be half bad!!

Over the last few years I have seen Peter Noone (Herman's Hermits), Dave Dee (Just before he died), Dozy + Co, The Searchers, Manfred Mann, Wayne Fontana, Status Quo, Chris Farlowe, Judith Durham, Colin Bluntstone, The Shadows, Van Morrison and Don McClean (won the tickets on a local radio quiz). They were all cracking nights and great value for money.
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Nearly forgot to mention that I had my worst day for months and only got 3 and 6 yesterday. :oops:

I was in a meeting today and missed it - will have to catch up via the I-Player
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Cool. I'm a wee bit younger than you...but....Ray Davis, The Blockheads, The Stones, Dylan, The Grandmothers of Invention (Zappa's band), Big Brother & The Holding Co (Janis's band), The Rutles, Neil Young, The Who, 10cc - all of themin their prime and all very good. Joan Armatrading next year too (Have seen the Quo, but at Live Aid so they weren't ancient but still, Elders of Rock even back then!)

I got 15 and 18 yesterday, I think. But no 3 in 10 (Needed Ian for GnR) and missed today's.
Last edited by Sue Sanders on Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fool's top.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Allan Harmer wrote:Over the last few years I have seen Peter Noone (Herman's Hermits), Dave Dee (Just before he died), Dozy + Co, The Searchers, Manfred Mann, Wayne Fontana, Status Quo, Chris Farlowe, Judith Durham, Colin Bluntstone, The Shadows, Van Morrison and Don McClean (won the tickets on a local radio quiz). They were all cracking nights and great value for money.
Sounds great, Allan. The 60s was a really good decade for music, and I would like to see some of those acts you mention who are still performing. The only band I have seen is The Blues Band (also Paul Jones from Manfred Mann), when my dad took me as a boy to a gig he wanted to see for my birthday treat! :lol:
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Sounds great, Allan. The 60s was a really good decade for music, and I would like to see some of those acts you mention who are still performing. The only band I have seen is The Blues Band (also Paul Jones from Manfred Mann), when my dad took me as a boy to a gig he wanted to see for my birthday treat! :lol:

Haha Derek, I do that to my son too :lol: By the way, Paul Jones came from my home town of Portsmouth.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Ha, 33, 39, 3. Good day today, even if he did give an answer away...only thing I got wrong was the Style Council's first hit.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

33 in the first round? Good grief. I scored 1!!! Saved from a duck by the name of Dr Hook's band though, like the contestant, only got a point for 'medicine' as I went for 'men' rather than 'show'. Nearly got the 'name the year' in that my head said 82, but on remembering a friend of mine was a Shaky fan, and she wasn't born til 80, I veered off to 89!

18 in round two plus a ONE....YEAR...OUT, after thinking 71 and saying 72. Apropros to nothing, I do know all the words to Ernie The Fastest Milkman in The West - and used to perform it with my cousins. Martin was Ernie, I was Sue, of course and my fragile, petite cousin Jackie, aged about 6 was Two Ton Ted!

No probs with Coldplay because although they would normally be a band for whom I don't know singles from album tracks - I remember a pop master question ages ago that asked which three Coldplay songs were one word titles - and at the time that was 'Yellow', 'Shiver' and 'Clocks'.

Well done on trif scores, Ian (wish I'd never started this thread!!! ;) )
Fool's top.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Sue Sanders wrote:Apropros to nothing, I do know all the words to Ernie The Fastest Milkman in The West - and used to perform it with my cousins.
Never mind that, did you hear Ken read out my email? 8-)
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Sue Sanders wrote:Apropros to nothing, I do know all the words to Ernie The Fastest Milkman in The West - and used to perform it with my cousins.

I was buzzing in and out of my room - Mum's in a pantomine this p.m and needs lacing into things, contact lensing up, and wig coiffuring, so I was only half in attendance. Brief summary please!
Fool's top.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Sue Sanders wrote:Brief summary please!
I said I'd just listened to him playing Ernie, the Fastest Milkman in the West and wondered whether this was the earliest known rap hit. As usual with my emails (and probably everyone else's), Ken managed to make it sound a lot funnier reading it out than it seemed written down.
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
I heard it Phil - and guessed it was you - Thanks for confirming that it was.

Nice one! It did make me laugh - I also got the year right on Pop Master too, as I associate it with Maggie May and Gypsies Tramps and Thieves which were all hits in 1971, when I was at College.

Good day for me on the quiz as I got 21 and 24 with Clocks, Yellow and Viva La Vivada for 3/10 :)
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
I said I'd just listened to him playing Ernie, the Fastest Milkman in the West and wondered whether this was the earliest known rap hit. As usual with my emails (and probably everyone else's), Ken managed to make it sound a lot funnier reading it out than it seemed written down.
It was either that or 'Jonny reggae' by the Piglets (aka pederast Jonathon King)
Last edited by Marc Meakin on Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Marc Meakin wrote:It was either that or 'Jonny reggae' by the Piglets (aka paedo Johnathon (sic) King)
He is not actually a paedo, as they are interested in pre-pubescent children, whereas his interest was only in teenagers. I think there is another term for it, but I can't remember. Maybe it's just pederast.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Phil Reynolds wrote:

Oh yes! My ears heard it, my brain wasn't listening though!
When Talksport radio used to be just 'Talk Radio, I was on 17 times. That's too much isn't it?!!
I was once the opening rant on Five Live's morning debate on the subject of teachers - whose whining about low morale and long work hours I have little time for.
Last edited by Sue Sanders on Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fool's top.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Derek Hazell wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote:It was either that or 'Jonny reggae' by the Piglets (aka paedo Johnathon (sic) King)
He is not actually a paedo, as they are interested in pre-pubescent children, whereas his interest was only in teenagers. I think there is another term for it, but I can't remember. Maybe it's just pederast.
Now edited.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Sue Sanders wrote:33 in the first round? Good grief. I scored 1!!! Saved from a duck by the name of Dr Hook's band though, like the contestant, only got a point for 'medicine' as I went for 'men' rather than 'show'. Nearly got the 'name the year' in that my head said 82, but on remembering a friend of mine was a Shaky fan, and she wasn't born til 80, I veered off to 89!

18 in round two plus a ONE....YEAR...OUT, after thinking 71 and saying 72. Apropros to nothing, I do know all the words to Ernie The Fastest Milkman in The West - and used to perform it with my cousins. Martin was Ernie, I was Sue, of course and my fragile, petite cousin Jackie, aged about 6 was Two Ton Ted!

No probs with Coldplay because although they would normally be a band for whom I don't know singles from album tracks - I remember a pop master question ages ago that asked which three Coldplay songs were one word titles - and at the time that was 'Yellow', 'Shiver' and 'Clocks'.

Well done on trif scores, Ian (wish I'd never started this thread!!! ;) )
Oh, I forgot I missed Dr Hook's pointless suffix, only 30 then.

And I heard your e-mail Allan, the name didn't stick in my brain though! I've not had one read out in ages, my favourite being something about being a singer with a Spanish bum (he'd just played Jackie)...
Bob De Caux
Enthusiast

Post by Bob De Caux »

33 and 39 as well, which I was particularly pleased with as I got the first two questions of the first set wrong! When does the champions league malarkey start - next week?
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Derek Hazell wrote:He is not actually a paedo, as they are interested in pre-pubescent children
On what are you basing that assertion Dez? According to both my Collins dictionary and the OED website, a paedophile is a person who is sexually attracted to children. Nothing about them being necessarily pre-pubescent.
his interest was only in teenagers. I think there is another term for it, but I can't remember. Maybe it's just pederast.
A pederast (again according to both sources cited above) is a man who has sexual intercourse with boys. Note that, besides the gender-specificity, pederasty is defined as an act whereas paedophilia is "merely" an attraction.

In Jonathan King's case, I guess either epithet would apply (along with some other less technical ones).
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Thank you for the clarity of information, Phil.

This is one occasion where it is a relief to find that you were somewhat lacking in knowledge.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Derek Hazell wrote:Thank you for the clarity of information, Phil.

This is one occasion where it is a relief to find that you were somewhat lacking in knowledge.
Ignorance is not a defence.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Jon Corby wrote:
Derek Hazell wrote:Thank you for the clarity of information, Phil.

Ignorance is not a defence.
Not as good as Pete Townsend's.
When is his book coming out?
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Derek Hazell wrote:
The word you seek, Derek, is ephebophilia.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

JimBentley wrote:
Derek Hazell wrote:
Presumably it's opposite is Rooney's syndrome.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

JimBentley wrote:
Derek Hazell wrote:
Thank you, Jim. So I was right about paedophilia only referring to pre-pubescent children, but only in research environments.

For laypersons use, it is an umbrella term. It still seemed unfair to refer to Jonathan King as that, when liking preteen children seems so much worse, but of course there is also the argument that it is all wrong, so all equally bad.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Ok, point well made. Now, either, start playing Pop Master, get a song on 'The Chain' or take your stick and go! :)
Fool's top.
AndyB2007

Post by AndyB2007 »

Sue Sanders wrote:
Allan Harmer wrote:15 and 12 today - No surprises that I got no Jamelia songs :)

I'm spoken for on Friday. Seeing the Spencer Davies Group and the Animals in Canterbury! Good luck
Since Sue mentioned the Spencer Davis Group and The Animals (did you enjoy the gig by the way?), I thought I'd mention a pop music fact:

Alan Price, one of the members of the Animals, had the highest charting cover of I Put a Spell On You, when his version reached No.9 in 1966. It remained the highest charting cover until London-born dance DJ/singer Sonia Clarke, alias Sonique, took her version to No.8 in 2000.

As for the Spencer Davis Group-Steve Winwood never got a solo No.1 until 2004 after Swedish DJ Eric Prydz reworked Steve's 1982 (later re-issued in 1987)hit Valerie for his song Call On Me.
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

AndyB2007 wrote:
Sue Sanders wrote:
Allan Harmer wrote:15 and 12 today - No surprises that I got no Jamelia songs :)

I'm spoken for on Friday. Seeing the Spencer Davies Group and the Animals in Canterbury! Good luck
Since Sue mentioned the Spencer Davis Group and The Animals (did you enjoy the gig by the way?), I thought I'd mention a pop music fact:

Alan Price, one of the members of the Animals, had the highest charting cover of I Put a Spell On You, when his version reached No.9 in 1966. It remained the highest charting cover until London-born dance DJ/singer Sonia Clarke, alias Sonique, took her version to No.8 in 2000.

As for the Spencer Davis Group-Steve Winwood never got a solo No.1 until 2004 after Swedish DJ Eric Prydz reworked Steve's 1982 (later re-issued in 1987)hit Valerie for his song Call On Me.
Thanks for the info Andy. It was very interesting - and welcome to the site matey.

I have had a couple of good days for me, 12 and 18 on Monday with 1/10 and 18 and 24 on Tuesday - Pink schmink for 3/10 :lol:
Missed today due to a meeting but will catch up later
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Why oh why must they keep using Embrace? I couldn't name a song of there's if it was blaring out of my own orifice!
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

24 (possibly 25 if I'd got a point for just Justin Heyward on the Moody Blues one) on the first lot, then 18 on the second lot for me today. The bonus questions on the second set were insanely hard, I thought. Just 1/3 on Embrace, could only remember "Hooligan", but that's probably because it sounds nowt like any of their other stuff (i.e. it's quite good and not one of their usual po-faced dirges).
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

JimBentley wrote:24 (possibly 25 if I'd got a point for just Justin Heyward on the Moody Blues one) on the first lot, then 18 on the second lot for me today. The bonus questions on the second set were insanely hard, I thought. Just 1/3 on Embrace, could only remember "Hooligan", but that's probably because it sounds nowt like any of their other stuff (i.e. it's quite good and not one of their usual po-faced dirges).
I could probably say exactly the same, even down to Justin Heyward, except I think I only got 15 on the second set.
AndyB2007

Post by AndyB2007 »

Ian Volante wrote:Why oh why must they keep using Embrace? I couldn't name a song of there's if it was blaring out of my own orifice!
Well I can name some Embrace songs Ian:
Come Back to What You Know
Nature's Law
Gravity
Hooligan (as Jim mentioned earlier)
World At Your Feet (the 2006 official World Cup song- I never really liked this. The best official WC song for England in my opinion has to be the New Order/England squad track from 1990, World in Motion)
The Good Will Out.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

AndyB2007 wrote:World At Your Feet (the 2006 official World Cup song- I never really liked this. The best official WC song for England in my opinion has to be the New Order/England squad track from 1990, World in Motion)
I reckon the best one was "Back Home" from 1970, mainly because it's a total ripoff of "Life" by Sly and the Family Stone.
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

JimBentley wrote:
AndyB2007 wrote:World At Your Feet (the 2006 official World Cup song- I never really liked this. The best official WC song for England in my opinion has to be the New Order/England squad track from 1990, World in Motion)
I reckon the best one was "Back Home" from 1970, mainly because it's a total ripoff of "Life" by Sly and the Family Stone.
You can't beat a bit of 'World Cup Willy' :D
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

JimBentley wrote:
This is a rather oxymoronic discussion...
Bob De Caux
Enthusiast

Post by Bob De Caux »

AndyB2007 wrote:The best official WC song for England in my opinion has to be the New Order/England squad track from 1990, World in Motion)
Correct answer! Although as a big Lightning Seeds fan, I did love Three Lions until it started appearing everywhere.

I have to confess I did like Embrace circa 1998, but listening back to the songs now, I'm not sure why. Andy, the Good Will Out was the album name and final album track, but it was never a single so wouldn't count for 3/10.

27 and 30 today. Luckily knew the U2 and Kylie ones, but Nazareth?! No chance
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Bob De Caux wrote:
AndyB2007 wrote:The best official WC song for England in my opinion has to be the New Order/England squad track from 1990, World in Motion)
Correct answer! Although as a big Lightning Seeds fan, I did love Three Lions until it started appearing everywhere.

I have to confess I did like Embrace circa 1998, but listening back to the songs now, I'm not sure why. Andy, the Good Will Out was the album name and final album track, but it was never a single so wouldn't count for 3/10.

My White Bicycle is the only one I remember.
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Marc Meakin wrote:
Bob De Caux wrote:

My White Bicycle is the only one I remember.
Didn't hear it today due to a meeting. Was 'Broken Down Angel' one of theirs too?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Yes it was, I also remember" Hair of the Dog" which GNR covered.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

There's a former CD quarter-finalist on Popmaster right now. He's called Steve Paver.

EDIT: He got six points and thoroughly stuffed!