Countdown Codeword Challenge

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Countdown Codeword Challenge

Post by Chris Corby »

COUNTDOWN CODEWORD

Just realised that it is over a year since I set my last puzzle, so try this one.

1.Each letter of the alphabet in the grid has been replaced by a number 1 – 26 in random order.
2.60% of the words relate to Countdown and/or members of this forum.
3.To those crossword purists, I am sorry it is not symmetrical – the upside to that is that many words fully interlock with each other.
4.In the Codewords published in our newspapers, you are normally given one or two letters to start you off. At this stage I am not going to do that – you have a major advantage at the beginning (see 2 above).
5.All letters of the alphabet have been used – with one exception. When you have discovered the missing letter, represented by the number 12, PM me with the answer – a prize for the first correct entry received.
6.Only one entry per person (thus preventing you firing off to me 26 messages in quick succession!!)
7.If I do not get a correct answer within a day or two, I will help you get going by supplying a couple of letters regularly until any interest dries up completely.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: Countdown Codeword Challenge

Post by Matt Morrison »

I love this already, Chris. Just printed it. Don't know if I'll get anywhere with it but saying thanks regardless. Thanks regardless.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Does it have proper nouns?
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Kai Laddiman wrote:Does it have proper nouns?
Yep
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

I'll just go for the 'nice try bonus' here and say the missing letters is....

letter number 12 ; )
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Just realised that this probably should have been in the Games & Puzzles sub-section. Sorry!

I thought that this would take a little longer than it has to solve. I posted it at 8.45pm last night and thought I would give you 24 hours or so before I gave you a couple of numbers so that being first with the solution wouldn't be such a disadvantage to those who weren't logged on at the time of posting. How wrong I was!!

At 10.03pm, I had the correct answer sent to me by Joseph Bolas followed a few minutes later by Oliver Garner, and, subsequently others. However, I did get a couple of wrong entries too....

If you are still trying to solve it, in true Codeword tradition I will give you two numbers/letters:
D=1 and N=22
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Chris Corby wrote:At 10.03pm, I had the correct answer sent to me by Joseph Bolas
I thought he left?
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Chris Corby wrote:At 10.03pm, I had the correct answer sent to me by Joseph Bolas
I thought he left?
It must be time for another one of Joseph's Scattergories then.
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Michael Wallace wrote:
I thought he left?
Apparently not
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I thought Bolas made a silent exit after a particularly troublesome podcast mention.

Does it freak anyone out to think he's been reading absolutely everything that's posted here since then?
Doesn't really bother me - it's akin to me reading the Birthdays thread. Everyone knows I fucking hate it but I still can't help myself, just in case something worthwhile gets posted there one day. Still waiting.

Interestingly, Bolas' avatar was changed for a few hours a few weeks ago. I might well have been the only person to notice?
I had put it down to one of the moderators fucking with his profile, but I guess it probably was him.
I wish I'd paid more attention now, it was probably some kind of message.

Also, two cents - no win for Bolas. I think you have to be a proper forum member to take part. Give the credit/prize to Oliver Garner.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Matt Morrison wrote:I thought Bolas made a silent exit after a particularly troublesome podcast mention.

Does it freak anyone out to think he's been reading absolutely everything that's posted here since then?
Doesn't really bother me - it's akin to me reading the Birthdays thread. Everyone knows I fucking hate it but I still can't help myself, just in case something worthwhile gets posted there one day. Still waiting.

Interestingly, Bolas' avatar was changed for a few hours a few weeks ago. I might well have been the only person to notice?
I had put it down to one of the moderators fucking with his profile, but I guess it probably was him.
I wish I'd paid more attention now, it was probably some kind of message.

Also, two cents - no win for Bolas. I think you have to be a proper forum member to take part. Give the credit/prize to Oliver Garner.
Is this your personal plea to Joseph to start posting again, Matt? Several people who don't post anymore still read the forums. It's not unique to Joseph. If people don't want to join in anymore it's their loss. I have chatted to a couple of people before, trying to persuade them to start posting again, but when all is said and done it can only be their decision. At least my crazy theories about Jo Bo asking for a self-imposed ban or Sue stealing his post quota are both probably wrong then.

Anyway, kudos to him for getting it so quickly. I didn't even know where to start!
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Derek Hazell wrote:
Anyway, kudos to him for getting it so quickly. I didn't even know where to start!
:D
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Derek Hazell wrote:I didn't even know where to start!
I can think of one very good place. :D
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Ok, So I've started and finished - but I don't think I've got the answer :? .
Fool's top.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Sue Sanders wrote:Ok, So I've started and finished - but I don't think I've got the answer :? .
Read the question again.
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Ian Fitzpatrick wrote:
Sue Sanders wrote:Ok, So I've started and finished - but I don't think I've got the answer :? .
Read the question again.
Hurrah - found the mistake!
Fool's top.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Now that Sue has finished, I'll post the answers. As previously announced, Jospeh Bolas rose from the dead and crucified everyone else by coming first (not even a second coming then)...

SPOILER FOLLOWS SPOILER FOLLOWS SPOILER FOLLOWS SPOILER FOLLOWS SPOILER FOLLOWS SPOILER FOLLOWS SPOILER FOLLOWSSPOILER FOLLOWS SPOILER FOLLOWS SPOILER FOLLOWS

A lot of answers refer to members of this forum and if you don't recognize the names their reference number in the members list is shown in brackets after their name. Three people had their full names in the puzzle, Derek Hazell (the only two worded answer), Rachel Riley and David Roe.

Across: XANDER(X1), JUNAID as in Mubeen (J28), ABACUS (what Carol used when she first started), QUIZ (er, like, Countdown), LAP, IRIS, ACE, HOWARD as in Somerset (H1), STEVEN as in Briers (S10), ROE as in David (D4), IRE, RUNIC (as in Runic Alphabet), CHALLENGER (there's one every programme!), EADIE as in Damien (D61), CLAYTON as in Jeff (J10), DEREKHAZELL (D6)

Down: ZULU, JADZIA as in Kent (J77), NIC (N13), ENSLAVING, DAVID as in Roe (D4), IMPENETRABLE, AVISO (French Boat), ACER (genus of Maple type trees), STEVEDORE, HARMER as in Allan (A13), WIN, RACHEL, RILEY, ICICLE, ASH.

The letter F was the one not used. Think that is the lot. Thanks to all who took part. Case closed.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Who is Steve Dore?
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Marc Meakin wrote:Who is Steve Dore?
Damn, wasn't even in time to give that one the last rites.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Chris Corby wrote:Derek Hazell (the only two worded answer)
After this special mention and a couple of nice PMs, Chris is now mentioned in my will.

If he should die before me, the money will go straight to Jon's favourite Labrador Retriever charity.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Derek Hazell wrote:After this special mention and a couple of nice PMs, Chris is now mentioned in my will.

If he should die before me, the money will go straight to Jon
If I should snuff it in the next 24 hours, someone please get the police to double-check Jon's alibi....