Omelette

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Omelette

Post by Charlie Reams »

Today sees the debut of the biggest new apterous variant since Touchdown. Named Omelette for obvious reasons, this variant turns the game on its head, requiring you to find the shortest word containing all the letters in the selection. Numbers and conundrums have also undergone some interesting modification. See the

Full rules of Omelette (thanks Matt).

This mode is only available to subscribers. However, because it's so awesome and I want as many people as possible to play it, subscription is discounted to just £12 until the end of October, which is (scribbles on an envelope) 20% off! So get in now! Encourage your friends, relatives and pets to sign up! Remortgage your house and subscribe twice!* It'll all be worth it.

Oh and, if you signed up when it was still £15, your subscription has been extended by an extra free month. So everyone's happy. Woo!

All bugs to the usual place please.

* Satire.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Re: Omelette

Post by Craig Beevers »

An interesting format, the letters games are dynamically more like standard numbers games where you can get some seriously impossible/easy rounds and your selection strategies are very important.

Here's a good example where I've played a letters attack using CSW as opposed to ODE:

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=132451
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I am confused about something.

After playing a few Omelette games, I eventually figured out that you have to use all the numbers in your solution to get any points at all.

Would the best strategy to get the most points be to pick 4 large numbers every time?
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Jason Larsen wrote:I am confused about something.

After playing a few Omelette games, I eventually figured out that you have to use all the numbers in your solution to get any points at all.

Would the best strategy to get the most points be to pick 4 large numbers every time?
When you play a game, there's a new tab next to the 'chat' and 'items', which is 'rules'.
Wonderfully useful addition, thanks to whoever put these in! :)

The new omelette variant is very interesting, and I've played a couple of games. I'm not usually bothered about the variants, and only tend to play them on duels or when practising for duels. But this one I might continue to play.
Having to find the shortest possible word is certainly a new departure.

As regards what is the best numbers selection to pick, it probably depends on how good you are at numbers, and what you usually like to pick. I've managed OK with one large, which is what I usually pick, but was OK when my opponent picked 4 large. Certainly (50+25)/75 would help get rid of those numbers, but you might not be able to make the target with the rest.

Others might have better ideas - I'm not too brilliant at strategies! :mrgreen:
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jason Larsen wrote:I am confused about something.

Good question, Jason. I've made this page to help answer your question. We don't have enough data to conclude anything much yet, but it looks like 1, 2 and 3 large are good bets.

It's also worth practising a few tricks for burning unwanted numbers. Obvious things include Junaiding (multiply by 1) or adding zero, but other tricks like doing 9/3=3 and 8-4=4 to burn the 9 and the 8 are worth remembering too.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Charlie Reams wrote:Obvious things include Junaiding (multiply by 1) or adding zero,

To add a zero you will need two numbers the same (e.g a 10 and a 10) to do 10-10. You can also then do 10/10 to make 1 and multiply, so it seems that adding zero is a bit of a wasted strategy. Shame.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:Obvious things include Junaiding (multiply by 1) or adding zero,

To add a zero you will need two numbers the same (e.g a 10 and a 10) to do 10-10. You can also then do 10/10 to make 1 and multiply, so it seems that adding zero is a bit of a wasted strategy. Shame.
Nice observation.

I have wondered before (and discussed with Mike the other day) how many cute little tricks one can play in a numbers solver. I think the apterous solver is among the fastest around, but I bet there're more tricks that I haven't thought of.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Charlie Reams wrote:I have wondered before (and discussed with Mike the other day) how many cute little tricks one can play in a numbers solver. I think the apterous solver is among the fastest around, but I bet there're more tricks that I haven't thought of.
Can it sit and roll over?
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Post by Andrew Feist »

Kirk Bevins wrote:

Well, I don't know; I used it to burn off a 4, 5, and 9 on an easy target.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Andrew Feist wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:
Well, I don't know; I used it to burn off a 4, 5, and 9 on an easy target.
What Kirk's saying is that you could have done the same by doing *(9/(5+4)) = *1. If you have the numbers to do +0 then you can also make *1 with them.
So they're just different ways of burning the same numbers and aren't two distinctly different methods.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I was going to take your advive, Julie, but Charlie, I think you've hit the nail on the head!

Also, I am surprised you can be 85% accurate with the exactly correct solution with 4 large! I thought that number would be much lower actually!
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jason Larsen wrote: Also, I am surprised you can be 85% accurate with the exactly correct solution with 4 large! I thought that number would be much lower actually!
So why, above, did you suggest 4 large would be best for most points?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Jason Larsen wrote: Also, I am surprised you can be 85% accurate with the exactly correct solution with 4 large! I thought that number would be much lower actually!
So why, above, did you suggest 4 large would be best for most points?
Presumably he thought the other values would be even lower.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Charlie Reams wrote: Presumably he thought the other values would be even lower.
OK. Makes sense.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Hope I'm not spoiling a joke by stating the obvious, but didn't he perhaps think the four large numbers are easier to cancel out than a set of small ones? e.g. 100+25-75-50
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Alec, you're absolutely right.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Jason Larsen wrote:Alec, you're absolutely right.
Phew. Makes a change. :D
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Of course!
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

ImageImage
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Why would you say that, Alec?
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

I thought I'd reply to a post that I couldn't make sense of with a post that makes no sense. :P
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Alec.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Kangaroo.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Alec Rivers wrote:Kangaroo.
;) :) :D :lol:
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

I can think of instances when making a zero is advantageous. For example, If you can get the target using just 2 or 3 numbers, and two of the numbers left are the same, you can make zero out of them, and then multiply the other spares by zero to eliminate them. This might be better than looking for a tricky method of obtaining a 1 for multiplying purposes.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

JackHurst wrote:I can think of instances when making a zero is advantageous. For example, If you can get the target using just 2 or 3 numbers, and two of the numbers left are the same, you can make zero out of them, and then multiply the other spares by zero to eliminate them. This might be better than looking for a tricky method of obtaining a 1 for multiplying purposes.
Good thinking batman.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

JackHurst wrote:I can think of instances when making a zero is advantageous. For example, If you can get the target using just 2 or 3 numbers, and two of the numbers left are the same, you can make zero out of them, and then multiply the other spares by zero to eliminate them. This might be better than looking for a tricky method of obtaining a 1 for multiplying purposes.
Thumbs up man. This is good.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Good thinking batman.
I'm not Batman, I'm an orange. Just look at my avatar.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

JackHurst wrote:I'm not Batman, I'm an orange. Just look at my avatar.
I've never really been into being dribbled on before, but if you dribble fresh orange juice it could be quite nice.

Oh, and on topic, I have tried Omelette a couple of times and liked it. Although yet again it is something a certain KC is expert at already.

Don't think I'd want an omelette with orange in it though.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Derek Hazell wrote: Although yet again it is something a certain KC is expert at already.
Really? I don't see his name appearing much on the high scores for Omelette.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Jack, you're a hero for getting us back on topic!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Good spot. Lucky I didn't make this optimisation then, really...
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Derek Hazell wrote:
I've never really been into being dribbled on before, but if you dribble fresh orange juice it could be quite nice.
Look at his avatar again. That is not orange juice.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Derek Hazell wrote:
Look at his avatar again. That is not orange juice.
No, it looks saltier than that.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Alec Rivers wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:Look at his avatar again. That is not orange juice.
No, it looks saltier than that.
Well, I've heard of a blood orange but . . . can you get oranges of all bodily fluids then?

I met up with a girl off the Internet a while back, and we just wandered round the streets with her and her mates, and the whole time she kept dribbling on the ground. I thought maybe she had a medical condition - until her friend started doing it as well!
No word on whether they also dribble while making omelettes or playing Apterous though.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Derek Hazell wrote:I met up with a girl off the Internet a while back, and we just wandered round the streets with her and her mates, and the whole time she kept dribbling on the ground. I thought maybe she had a medical condition - until her friend started doing it as well!
No word on whether they also dribble while making omelettes or playing Apterous though.
Does your local giggle-factory's website have a dating section, then?