Spoilers For Wednesday October 21st 2009

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Re: Spoilers For Wednesday October 21st 2009

Post by Marc Meakin »

D Eadie wrote:Brian is dangerously close to being disqualified from taking any further part in the series.

Not sure what the exact outcome will be as it's a first, and i am pressing for a complete disqualification, but anyone repeating his publicity stunt who qualifies for the finals, will most definitely be barred from any further involvement in the show from here on in.
I think disqualifying him may not be wise
Imagine what the Daily Mail would make of it
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Davy Affleck
Acolyte

Post by Davy Affleck »

He does stay in Devon. I can't imagine much happening there to fill the papers. Last weeks Honiton Midweek News had the headline "Elvis still dead"
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Marc Meakin wrote:Imagine what the Daily Mail would make of it
NEW DIANA EVIDENCE MAY HELP FIND MADDIE

?
Davy Affleck
Acolyte

Post by Davy Affleck »

I was wrong - news just in from Devon

A group of streakers who walked into a petrol station are being sought by police.

A cashier in her early 20s was left upset by the group of about six men who walked into the Texaco shop at Kilmington in Devon.

The group were filmed flicking through magazines and then rushing out to a minibus when told by the cashier to put some clothes on.

Follow this link

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8318877.stm
Lucy Gowers
Rookie

Post by Lucy Gowers »

Jon Corby wrote:

?
Wrong one Jon! It's the Daily Express which is Britain's official Princess Di 'n' Maddie newspaper. It was known as the Daily Ex-Princess for years in Private Eye. Latterly, its rivals refer to it as the Madeleine Express.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Lucy Gowers wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:

?
Wrong one Jon! It's the Daily Express which is Britain's official Princess Di 'n' Maddie newspaper. It was known as the Daily Ex-Princess for years in Private Eye. Latterly, its rivals refer to it as the Madeleine Express.
Dang. Something about immigrants and cancer then. But I fear the moment has passed now.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Clive Brooker wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:I presume it's the case, BTW, that all Countdown contestants sign a release form which includes a statement that they will not disclose details of their appearance to the press prior to transmission? If so, Brian really doesn't have a leg to stand on.
Somewhat to my surprise, the declaration I signed did not appear to include such a statement. Having had a quick scan through the documentation, I can still see nothing in the guidelines relating to this subject at all. However I was well aware of the need to be careful and that knowledge must have come from somewhere.

To me, it's not hard to imagine a contestant giving details to a local paper on the condition that no detail is published before the transmission date, and then being badly let down. Not saying that's what happened here of course.

Paul Varlaam is confirming his status (in my eyes) as the most fortunate contestant ever. He must be a certainty for the series title now.

There IS a confidentiality thingy in amongst all the bumf that you sign, but we'll highlight this and make it clearer in the future. It's too harsh to disqualify someone, of course. But at the same time we don't want to have the series finals spoiled. It isn't fair on the others taking part or the viewers who want to watch the contest unfold. We'll mention it to Brian and hope nothing else crops up further down the line.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Jon Corby wrote:Dang. Something about immigrants and cancer then. But I fear the moment has passed now.
Definitely cancer. The Daily Mail classifies all inanimate objects into two categories, those that cause cancer and those that cure cancer. THERE IS NO MIDDLE GROUND. Although some objects can both cause and cure cancer. See here for more.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

JimBentley wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Dang. Something about immigrants and cancer then. But I fear the moment has passed now.
Definitely cancer. The Daily Mail classifies all inanimate objects into two categories, those that cause cancer and those that cure cancer. THERE IS NO MIDDLE GROUND. Although some objects can both cause and cure cancer. See here for more.
What a fantastic website - thanks for that. I shall be amusing epidemiologists with it for years to come.
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

Query - IONIZE has an alternate spelling of IONISE, but IONIZER has no alternate spelling. Would IONISER have been allowed?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

David Roe wrote:Query - IONIZE has an alternate spelling of IONISE, but IONIZER has no alternate spelling. Would IONISER have been allowed?
Yes.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

JimBentley wrote:
I thought I was being witty by calling this an "oncology ontology" but I just googled the term and it seems I'm not the first :(
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Charlie Reams wrote:
JimBentley wrote:
I thought I was being witty by calling this an "oncology ontology" but I just googled the term and it seems I'm not the first :(
You were still being witty. Have a hug: *hug*
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Lucy Gowers wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:

?
Reminds me of this classic quote from Yes Minister.

"The Times is read by the people who run the country. The Daily Mirror is read by the people who think they run the country. The Guardian is read by the people who think they ought to run the country. The Morning Star is read by the people who think the country ought to be run by another country. The Independent is read by people who don't know who runs the country but are sure they're doing it wrong. The Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country. The Financial Times is read by the people who own the country. The Daily Express is read by the people who think the country ought to be run as it used to be run. The Daily Telegraph is read by the people who still think it is their country. And the Sun's readers don't care who runs the country providing she has big tits."
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Anyone know what's with 4oD at the moment? It's now two days behind, so can't get up-to-date with this chap called Brian from Devon, other than reading the local papers. Bah.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Brian Moore wrote:Anyone know what's with 4oD at the moment? It's now two days behind
Have you complained? If they don't know it's broken, they're unlikely to fix it.
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Brian Moore wrote:Anyone know what's with 4oD at the moment? It's now two days behind
Have you complained? If they don't know it's broken, they're unlikely to fix it.
Well, it's been running a day behind (I was wondering if it was a new policy to penalise the 4oDers for being too stingy for not having a TV), but now it's two, I might just do that, Phil. I've got nothing to watch while practising my tonguing.
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

"Dear Brian Moore,

Thank you for your email regarding 4oD.

Programmes are made available on the service shortly after their broadcast
on television.

A lot of work goes into getting a show from the screen and onto 4oD, so, in
some cases, programmes may take a while to appear. If a show is not listed
on the 4oD service, it is likely we either do not currently hold the rights
to show it on-line or it is currently being processed for on-line viewing.

Please keep an eye on the service."

Isn't it nice when you get a personally-crafted, specific response? Catch-up now three days behind. Grrrrrissimo.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Brian Moore wrote:A lot of work goes into getting a show from the screen and onto 4oD
How bad must their infrastructure be if this is true?