How much does the casual viewer know about Countdown?

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Damian E
Enthusiast

Re: How much does the casual viewer know about Countdown?

Post by Damian E »

Hmmm - i'd forgotten about that. It was ridiculous IMO to have a No.1 seed with 7 wins and No.2 seed with 8 wins - bonkers in fact.

I can't remember who changed it and how it came about. Mark and Michael governed over the rules in those days and were obviously happy with the set-up, so i can only presume it was me who queried it and then it changed. I honestly cannot remember. Does seem weird though to have an unbeaten player ranked below a person who lost thier 8th game.
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Post by Richard Brittain »

Charlie Reams wrote:I've read the novelisation of Battlefield Earth.
I quite liked the film. The book came before the film, right?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Damian E wrote:Hmmm - i'd forgotten about that. It was ridiculous IMO to have a No.1 seed with 7 wins and No.2 seed with 8 wins - bonkers in fact.

I can't remember who changed it and how it came about. Mark and Michael governed over the rules in those days and were obviously happy with the set-up, so i can only presume it was me who queried it and then it changed. I honestly cannot remember. Does seem weird though to have an unbeaten player ranked below a person who lost thier 8th game.
Kate Surtees was seeded number one above Ray McPhie in series 37 despite only winning 7 to Ray's 8, so that might have been the catalyst. Also Helen Grayson was number one seed in series six ahead of Darryl Francis. She didn't lose her 8th game though; she stopped unbeaten after seven and still had a higher total than his eight.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Damian E wrote:Not sure about the bit about sorted by highest scores in the event of a tie either. Has it ever happened??
Ben Wilson tied with Phil Wass on points.
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

But what would've then happened in the situation with Matt Coates and Tony Durrant as both players got the same total when you added there losing score too. Say this week was the last week before finals and noone knocked Matt off #8 seed, what would happen in that situation?

Tony and Matt have different totals. 389 to Matt, 379 to Tony. We only count the points scored in the first 15 rounds.