Can someone clarify the exact rules on spoliers?

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast

Can someone clarify the exact rules on spoliers?

Post by Douglas Wilson »

Just wanted to know exactly what you can and cannot post.

I know how a future contestent does because of a friend that went to see the shows they were in, am I allowed to post it on here as long as I give a huge warning in the title?

Would we be able to have a thread for people who know about future shows? Obviously a lot of people won't want to know in most cases I would include myself in that, but there must be a few people that can watch a show despite knowing the result and can still enjoy it and thus would like to know in advanced or they might know in advance won't be able to see the show so may as well know the result earlier.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Re: Can someone clarify the exact rules on spoliers?

Post by Michael Wallace »

I think a fairly safe rule is that as long as you make it clear in the title of the thread the nature of the spoiler (but obviously without giving away the spoiler itself a la "Will Kirk score more than 900 points?" before the end of his run) people can't really complain too much.

Edit (further thoughts): It only really gets vague when things have already happened, I think. For instance, at what point does it become ok to talk about who won the last series, or who won yesterday's show, that sort of thing.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I think all future show stuff is banned, apart from special subforums for in-the-know people when it comes to series finalses and stuff. If it hasn't been on TV, don't talk about it on here.
Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast

Post by Douglas Wilson »

Hi Jon,

If that's the rule then that is fine and I will obviously respect that.

The reason I asked was because on the Deal or no Deal forum there is a thread specifically for spoilers, I thought the advantage of this; as well as informing people that want to know for whatever reason, is that it would lead to less being leaked ie. Andrew Hulme breaking Kirk's record was leaked on aptochat I believe.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Yes, please don't post about stuff that hasn't been transmitted yet. At all. Ever. As far as possible avoid mentioning it at all, because it's very easy to give accidental/implicit spoilers (e.g. "the semi-final is the best game of the finals.")
Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast

Post by Douglas Wilson »

Like I said to Jon, that's cool.

You havn't answered my question though, do you think it would be a good idea to have a dedicated thread to future spoilers just so that implied/accidental spoilers are less frequent?
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Douglas Wilson wrote:You havn't answered my question though
Yes, he did - he said:
please don't post about stuff that hasn't been transmitted yet. At all. Ever.
I thought that was pretty clear.

Apart from anything else, producers of TV game shows (including Countdown) don't take kindly to the outcomes of games being revealed before transmission, regardless of how many spoiler alerts they're preceded by.
Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast

Post by Douglas Wilson »

Ah ok it looks like I'll be keeping my information to myself then which I have no problem about. I just thought it might be an idea to stop accidnetal spoilers by having a dedicated topic.

Having seen this thread if (and a big if) somebody PM's me asking for my information, am I allowed to tell then?
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Douglas Wilson wrote:Ah ok it looks like I'll be keeping my information to myself then which I have no problem about. I just thought it might be an idea to stop accidnetal spoilers by having a dedicated topic.

Having seen this thread if (and a big if) somebody PM's me asking for my information, am I allowed to tell then?
Only if it's Clare Sudbery.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Douglas Wilson wrote: Having seen this thread if (and a big if) somebody PM's me asking for my information, am I allowed to tell then?
I can't stop you but, seriously, just keep it to yourself.
Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast

Post by Douglas Wilson »

If the information is about Sudbery or if it is Sudbery that PMs?
Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast

Post by Douglas Wilson »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Douglas Wilson wrote: Having seen this thread if (and a big if) somebody PM's me asking for my information, am I allowed to tell then?
I can't stop you but, seriously, just keep it to yourself.
Deal
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Douglas Wilson wrote:If the information is about Sudbery or if it is Sudbery that PMs?
Well, it's very unlikely to be about her, so I mean if she PMs.

First you'd never heard of her, but were desperate to see her show, then she was one of your favourite contestants, so I was just spoofing your weirdness really to give her special dispensation.
Not one of my more sensible jokes I admit.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast

Post by Douglas Wilson »

I first came across her when I realised her show was the only one from the series I hadn't seen. When a few people mentioned she was a bit of a character on her I wanted to see it even more, had no sucess so read her report on the website. It was a great read, showing someone who went on Countdown to win and probably would have done had she not come up against a good player.

I thought some of the abuse she recieved from 'pillars of the countdown community' was a tad harsh and had no problem telling them.

My affiliation with her goes no further than that and since I'm fed up of Charlie hating me I won't be telling her what I know about Chris Davies to her or anyone else.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Douglas Wilson wrote:I first came across her when I realised her show was the only one from the series I hadn't seen.
Disgusting.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Even all this talk of "what I know about Chris Davies" is fucking annoying me. It suggests there is something to know. I mean I'm being a bit oversensitive, but if it hasn't been on TV yet, just keep it to yourself. I don't see why this is difficult or even why it needs saying.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:Yes, please don't post about stuff that hasn't been transmitted yet. At all. Ever. As far as possible avoid mentioning it at all, because it's very easy to give accidental/implicit spoilers (e.g. "the semi-final is the best game of the finals.")
I remember when people used to take the piss out of me for reading things into obscure possible spoilers, but now it seems you've all come round to my way of thinking. ;)
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Douglas Wilson wrote: I won't be telling her what I know about Chris Davies to her or anyone else.
You had done sooo well until that point - but as Jon said, seriously, why include a name that hasn't appeared yet?
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Actually, the first rule of spoilers is not to spell it "spoliers".
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Actually, the first rule of spoilers is not to spell it "spoliers".
Man, I'm so annoyed I didn't spot that - I pride myself on spoting speling erors.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I didn't mention it because I think it sounds nice, kind of French or something.
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Matt Morrison wrote:I didn't mention it because I think it sounds nice, kind of French or something.
... and it's quite easy to get your tongue round.