Can you escape the room?

Cerebral distractions of every kind, mostly but not exclusively Countdown-related.

Moderator: Michael Wallace

Darren Carter
What a lot of bling

Can you escape the room?

Post by Darren Carter »

Apologies if this has been posted before, tried a search but couldn't find anything.

http://www.ig.ns.ac.yu/fun.html

*WARNING* This game is very very addictive. It took me about 2 hours to escape the room!
Stewart Gordon
Enthusiast

Re: Can you escape the room?

Post by Stewart Gordon »

I've got as far as opening the briefcase, but can't seem to figure out what to do with any of the stuff in it.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

I've got a test tube, two batteries, a gold bar that I know what to do with, I've opened the brief case, I've opened both panels and I've found a safe.

I hate you.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

No. No I can't.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

It's all Greek to me :(

I can't even open the briefcase. I have 2 buttons, a test tube and a piece of paper.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Done it! With vast amounts of help. Anyone who could do that in two hours unaided has skills the like of which I cannot fathom. I don't think I would solve the codes that quickly even if I knew what I was looking for. Did you? Honestly?
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

This is seriously maddening. After a lot of trial and error (mainly error) I've finally got the safe open and have found some sort of frequency modulator that emits a series of five bleeps. I can change the sliders, which seems to change the bleeps somehow but I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing with it. It's not some sort of evil red herring is it?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

JimBentley wrote:This is seriously maddening. After a lot of trial and error (mainly error) I've finally got the safe open and have found some sort of frequency modulator that emits a series of five bleeps. I can change the sliders, which seems to change the bleeps somehow but I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing with it. It's not some sort of evil red herring is it?
Spoilers: No it's not (I escaped, but I used a walkthrough because I know from experience that if I don't, I will then waste hours trying to do so, and as is often the case with these things, there's an element of pixel hunting, which my eye isn't cut out for).
Darren Carter
What a lot of bling

Post by Darren Carter »

David Williams wrote:Done it! With vast amounts of help. Anyone who could do that in two hours unaided has skills the like of which I cannot fathom. I don't think I would solve the codes that quickly even if I knew what I was looking for. Did you? Honestly?
I had a few hints..... :oops:
Jeffrey Burgin
Acolyte

Post by Jeffrey Burgin »

Having watched the walkthrough on Youtube, I have concluded this is the most ridiculously stupid game ever. :P

Seriously though, that is impossibly hard, especially when they don't tell you you can use some of the items on the other items. The codes are still absolutely unfathomable, even after the walkthrough.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Jeffrey Burgin wrote:Seriously though, that is impossibly hard, especially when they don't tell you you can use some of the items on the other items. The codes are still absolutely unfathomable, even after the walkthrough.
I think this isn't really an escape the room for people who've not done them before. For instance, the ability to combine items is long-established in these sorts of games (as is the ability to turn things around in your inventory, or whatever). Which codes do you think are unfathomable, though? (spoiler colour probably a good idea if we're going to go into details)
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Brilliant! Really enjoyed that :D I've wasted hours of my life doing it and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I was a bit confused the exit message was in Spanish since the rest of the site's in Russian but hey, as they said, "Felicitaciones - Gracias por jugar!"

Off to baffle someone else with it thanks!
Lowering the averages since 2009
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Did you actually do it unaided? If so, VERY impressed. I think the musical scale would have done for me no matter how long I took.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

David Williams wrote:Did you actually do it unaided? If so, VERY impressed. I think the musical scale would have done for me no matter how long I took.
Aye, totally agreed, I'm in awe of anyone who managed to get through the whole thing without help. I looked at a walkthrough after getting totally stuck on the bleepy box thing and there's absolutely no way I'd have got near figuring out most of the subsequent stuff (which was quite a lot; I thought I was doing reasonably well but it turned out I was only about 25% through, and the easiest 25% at that!)
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

I'd never have done it if the spoiler about combining items hadn't been there. Once I'd read that it was largely trial and error, and being a pianist helps :P Working out the magnet was the worst - I spent ages trying to find one that resembled the one in the picture. It was purely down to a chance unrelated conversation with my sister that the penny dropped. Doh!!

Off to do it all again but with a little more finesse (and less swearing) this time 8-)

Edit: 2 hours - not even close!! I'm not going to publicise how long it took me, but 2 hours is the 100m sprint to my marathon :lol:
Edit 2: My computer's also connected to my TV (as well as a monitor) so doing on a large screen rather than a monitor made it loads easier. The devil's in the detail :twisted:
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Lesley Hines wrote:largely trial and error
In much the same way as getting monkeys to type Hamlet is trial and error . . .
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

David Williams wrote:In much the same way as getting monkeys to type Hamlet is trial and error . . .
Not quite - you'll notice that it did take me the best part of a week (on and off). Two hours is outrageous and respect! Monkeys typing Hamlet would take much longer :lol:
Stewart Gordon
Enthusiast

Post by Stewart Gordon »

David Williams wrote:
Lesley Hines wrote:largely trial and error
In much the same way as getting monkeys to type Hamlet is trial and error . . .
That depends on whether you're trying to get them to type Hamlet in one continuous run or just something that has the text of Hamlet as some sub-sequence.

Maybe that's the way to solve the game - get infinitely many monkeys at it....

Stewart.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

OK I think I've got this. The way you escape the room is to look at the chair, take what you SAW, cut the chair in half, put the two halves together to make a wHOLE, then climb through the HOLE. Finally, shout til you're hoarse then ride away.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gavin Chipper wrote:OK I think I've got this. The way you escape the room is to look at the chair, take what you SAW, cut the chair in half, put the two halves together to make a wHOLE, then climb through the HOLE. Finally, shout til you're hoarse then ride away.
:)