Apterous Summer Open Wrap-Up

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.

That was fun. Should we do it again sometime?

Poll ended at Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:58 pm

Yes.
97%
Maybe, if you do this and this instead of that and that (specify).
3%
No.
No votes

Total votes: 30

Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Apterous Summer Open Wrap-Up

Post by Andrew Feist »

A big round of congratulations to our champions: Ian Dent (winning U800 on a tiebreaker); James Hall (winning U1000 in the finals match); Matthew Green (winning U1200), and Innis Carson (winning the open on a tiebreaker). I have been informed that the countdown wiki would be a reasonable place to put the full results, so I will be posting those results there in the near future. (If you still haven't played your last match, then let me know when you get it done and we'll update the results appropriately.)

As you may have guessed from the poll question, I have Plans for upcoming events (not for a while though, naturally). I would be interested in hearing your feedback about how this event went, especially in terms of timing (one match a week not enough/too much? five weeks not enough/too much? matches yes/no instead of games?). You can whine about the rating thing if you want, but (a) I have actual data from this tournament to use for the next time, and (b) the next tournament may not be in this "open" style. You can post below or send me a PM, naturally.

Thanks everyone for playing!
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Re: Apterous Summer Open Wrap-Up

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I've only been sporadically keeping up, but it looks like everything went really smoothly. I will join in next time instead of being too cool!

Well done to all involved!
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Awesome tournament, really enjoyed it, can't quite believe one person was running it all, so well done Andrew. Congrats to Innis for winning the Open.

My suggestion is given that there were so many contenders, maybe have more rounds? Lots of us ended on 4/5, but didn't all get to play each other (e.g. I didn't play Innis or Ben W). Alternatively, the top 4 go into a semis? Using points difference/games difference isn't quite enough to separate the top end when so many people are involved, IMO. Of course, I'm biased and this is all my way of saying I woz robbed!

Loved it.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

No caveats really, has been great and would love to do it again, preferably more games. I think you need a better way to deal with people who don't play their games but I don't have any good ideas yet.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Charlie Reams wrote:I think you need a better way to deal with people who don't play their games but I don't have any good ideas yet.
Yeah, I only got to play 2 of my 5 games, even though I contacted everyone involved (I did lose one of those though! ;)) . Don't know what to do about it. How about play the bot with the closest rating to the player concerned?

Excellent idea and really enjoyed playing people I hadn't played before. Thanks for putting such great stuff into organising it :)
Lowering the averages since 2009
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

Thanks once again Andrew.

I thought it was brilliant having a tournament for those Under 800. Had some excellent games.
Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Post by Andrew Feist »

Junaid Mubeen wrote:Awesome tournament, really enjoyed it, can't quite believe one person was running it all, so well done Andrew. Congrats to Innis for winning the Open.

My suggestion is given that there were so many contenders, maybe have more rounds? Lots of us ended on 4/5, but didn't all get to play each other (e.g. I didn't play Innis or Ben W). Alternatively, the top 4 go into a semis? Using points difference/games difference isn't quite enough to separate the top end when so many people are involved, IMO. Of course, I'm biased and this is all my way of saying I woz robbed!

Loved it.
Oh I definitely agree that it ended very flat. I was aiming for something very much like what happened in the U1200, with only two undefeated players left at the last. Didn't quite happen, though. I have in the past used Swiss into a knockout playoff or a small round robin and will definitely consider it again, but I had really thought the huge tie was unlikely enough that I didn't add it on this time.

Will definitely take this as a vote for "more rounds", though.
Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Post by Andrew Feist »

Lesley Hines wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:I think you need a better way to deal with people who don't play their games but I don't have any good ideas yet.
Yeah, I only got to play 2 of my 5 games, even though I contacted everyone involved (I did lose one of those though! ;)) . Don't know what to do about it. How about play the bot with the closest rating to the player concerned?

Excellent idea and really enjoyed playing people I hadn't played before. Thanks for putting such great stuff into organising it :)
I expected more people to be angrier about this, really. :| I tried to remove people that were just not playing, and I think that I got most of them that I could, but that doesn't help the people that had to wait on them. (On that note, great thanks to Damian E for actually telling me he was dropping out instead of just vanishing.) I think in the future I'll have to use cross-round pairings -- I don't know why that idea didn't come to me until literally just this minute, but that may go a long way to solving the problem. (Cross-round pairings means that say on Sunday when player X doesn't show, player Y plays player Z instead -- for player Y this counts as a round 1 game, but for player Z it's their round 2 game.)
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Was a great tournament, ran remarkably smoothly and was great fun to be in. Well played all who participated, and congrats to Ian, James, Matthew and also to everyone else who was tied on 4/5 in the Open, had there been more rounds the overall result could easily have been different.

Great time overall, can't wait for more in the future!
Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Post by Andrew Feist »

Okay, I put the U800 and the U1000 results on the wiki, and I think I only broke two things (one extra page that I don't seem to know how to delete, and I can't make the colorful tables for some reason, so I stuck with plain black-and-white).

I didn't do round-by-round for the round robin matches, figuring the records would be enough (although with the circle at the top of the U800 I probably should). I'll try and do them for the Swiss divisions. I didn't put the Swiss divisions up yet because I don't want to have to double forfeit fourteen people in the open and eighteen people (! out of 28!) in the U1200 if I don't have to. So finish those up, if that's you, and then I can get them up.
J.Levison
Rookie

Post by J.Levison »

An excellent competition that I have really enjoyed competing in.

I have been a culprit of non played games, but i have been online a lot, just havent encountered my opponents, i realise this is what PM's are for, but with only contributing to the forum occasionally i regularly forget to log in.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Kudos, Andrew! Excellent competition and super-smoothe too :)
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

J.Levison wrote: i realise this is what PM's are for, but with only contributing to the forum occasionally i regularly forget to log in.
They do email you beautifully when you get one (as long as your settings permit it)
Lowering the averages since 2009
Niall Seymour
Rookie

Post by Niall Seymour »

Can't add anything more too what has already been said, an enjoyable tourney and very well run.

Although I would be more than happy too play a similar event again; how about an Apterous FA Cup style event where anyone can play anyone in a straight knock out format? Fantastic or awful suggestion?
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

Like it Niall.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

I've voted "yes", and am hoping the next one will be at a time when I can compete.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Thanks, great stuff. I'm just grumpy that my final opponent seem uninterested in playing.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

It was great, and like everyone else so far, I voted "yes" to another. I think a week is about right for each round, anything quicker probably wouldn't give everyone enough time to get it on. But definitely more rounds would be better next time, maybe 8 or 9? Or 10.
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Which tool voted no ?!
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

It wasn't me, Junaid! 8-)

Great fun, Andrew, and thanks for organising this. :)

I particularly liked the 'best of 3 games' aspect, which helped guard against a player being particularly lucky/unlucky in one game.

Although this did necessarily make the time input greater, so whether I competed in a future similar tournament would depend on how busy I thought I was going to be.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
jason turner

Post by jason turner »

thanks to andrew for a great comp, :D :D :D

voted yes to the next can't wait.

quick question? where do i find the results, i see it says countdown wiki? could a link be posted on here save me and the other computer dunces searching.

thx

ja
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

jason turner wrote:thanks to andrew for a great comp, :D :D :D

voted yes to the next can't wait.

quick question? where do i find the results, i see it says countdown wiki? could a link be posted on here save me and the other computer dunces searching.

thx

ja
countdownwiki.com
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

jason turner wrote:quick question? where do i find the results, i see it says countdown wiki? could a link be posted on here save me and the other computer dunces searching.
It appears that only the U800 and U1000 details are on the wiki so far. They are here.
Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Post by Andrew Feist »

Yes, so far only U800 and U1000 were posted. The plan was to use my vacation day today to get everything up, but I can't seem to get to countdownwiki.com today. But when it comes back, the rest will go up. (I have put open and U1200 crosstables on the blog.)