Cola

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Cola?

Pepsi
19%
Pepsi Max
17%
Diet Pepsi
6%
Coca-Cola
21%
Coke Zero
4%
Diet Coke
15%
Other (specify plz)
19%

Total votes: 48

Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Cola

Post by Michael Wallace »

It occurred to me we had not had a poll on this yet. I'm interested in only plain cola drinks, so no Cherry Coke, no Pepsi Max Cino. I can't be bothered to include anything other than the big two, because if I include shit like Panda Pops then I have to include Virgin Cola, and that stuff was awful.

You can vote for all the options, so if none of them is your modal choice you can choose more than one.

For the record, Pepsi Max is clearly the best. It is also EXTREME, just like me.

Edit: As I tend to do with these 'other' option polls, revoting is allowed, so if someone specifies an 'other' I can add it to the list, as long as it's EXTREME.
Last edited by Michael Wallace on Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Cola

Post by Charlie Reams »

My personal top 5 soft drinks would be:-

1) Cherry Coke
2) Dr Pepper
3) Coca-Cola
4) Pepsi Max
5) Lilt

So within the confines of this poll, I voted for #3.

Also RIP Vanilla Coke, we loved you dearly.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Charlie Reams wrote:Also RIP Vanilla Coke, we loved you dearly.
Agreed. Also Virgin Cola, which was truly underrated. My personal favourite is Pepsi Max, closely followed by Red Fanta.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Ben Wilson wrote:Also Virgin Cola, which was truly underrated.
Virgin Cola always left a horrible film on my teeth - was that just me, then?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Charlie Reams wrote:Also, RIP Vanilla Coke, we loved you dearly.
Yes, it is truly missed. That gorgeous taste you get when you have 2 at the same time. I used to do that, as I've got one of those helmets where you can put a drink either side and drink both at the same time.

Just heaven. :D

On another note, unless your taste buds have been genetically modified, you can't really enjoy regular Coca-Cola or Pepsi. The amount of sugar in it just overrides the taste. It's needs to be the diet or the zero-sugar versions for the best satisfaction.

BRING OUT COCA-COLA VANILLA ZERO :!: ;) :) :D
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

I vote "Other" as I don't generally drink coke, apart from occasionally mixed with rum. I would like to hear more about Michael's EXTREMITIES though.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Derek Hazell wrote:I vote "Other" as I don't generally drink coke, apart from occasionally mixed with rum. I would like to hear more about Michael's EXTREMITIES though.
I think my current avatar is quite indicative of how EXTREME I am.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

James Robinson wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:Also, RIP Vanilla Coke, we loved you dearly.
Yes, it is truly missed. That gorgeous taste you get when you have 2 at the same time. I used to do that, as I've got one of those helmets where you can put a drink either side and drink both at the same time.
Haha, I got my brother one of those as part of his Christmas present one year - never seen him wear it though!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Vimto is my fav fizzy soft drink. Voted regular Coke and Pepsi Max on this one, there are reasons that I might choose one or the other in certain situations but I am too lazy to expand on them.

RIP Tab Clear tho - you caused a helluva fuss when I was at school, fucking revolutionary.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

James Robinson wrote:I've got one of those helmets where you can put a drink either side and drink both at the same time.
I wish I had a helmet like that.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Matt Morrison wrote:
James Robinson wrote:I've got one of those helmets where you can put a drink either side and drink both at the same time.
If you want, I'll sell you mine!
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

James Robinson wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:
After you've been sucking on it?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Derek Hazell wrote:
James Robinson wrote:If you want, I'll sell you mine!
It's been sterilised! Or if you're not satisified, cut a bit of the end off, because that clearly won't have been sucked on by me. Having said that, I've not used it for a while.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

James Robinson wrote:
Derek Hazell wrote:
James Robinson wrote:If you want, I'll sell you mine!
It's been sterilised! Or if you're not satisified, cut a bit of the end off, because that clearly won't have been sucked on by me. Having said that, I've not used it for a while.
We've circumvented the topic now . . . or should that be circumcized?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Derek Hazell wrote:
James Robinson wrote:It's been sterilised! Or if you're not satisified, cut a bit of the end off, because that clearly won't have been sucked on by me. Having said that, I've not used it for a while.
We've circumvented the topic now . . . or should that be circumcized?
Yes, it's not for sale now.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Pepsi (and sub-Pepsis) is better than Coca-Cola (and sub-Coca-Colas) apparently, cos it's got glucose instead of sucrose.

SPAR COLA
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Pepsi - My favourite. Goes best with saveloy and chips.

Pepsi Max - I used to drink four cans of this a day at school cos they were 35p in Londis (this in the day's where every other one cost 50p). I loved it then but I think I've somewhat destroyed my appetite for it, although when I'm at my nan's I often have a can with a bag of beef monster munch. Also I don't like the packaging or advertising.

Diet Pepsi - I drink this surprisingly often. In fact I had two cans at a house party once during sixth form, where I was down to absolutely zero money, and I saved one for the morning. Upon awaking, my "friend" Cooper (a Coke man, through and through) had finished half of it, and when i asked him what he was doing he said he didn't even enjoy it. I've never been more pissed off with a close friend. I actually didn't talk to him for two weeks. I also drink this at the working man's club, where the choice is Diet or plain Pepsi, because I know I'm gonna put away 3 or 4 and I don't want my teeth to hurt.

Coca-Cola - Sometimes I crave Coke particularly, especially on a hot day when I'm very thirsty, or after I've just left my house at around midday. Goes well with chicken and chips from the Red Rooster/Favourites/Dixy Chicken/Perfect Fried Chicken/Halal Fried Chicken etc.

Coke Zero - When this was first released here I had two cans a day and was really enjoying it. Anyway after about a month of this I realised that my acne had gotten a lot worse... I gave it up and, lo and behold, my acne cleared up a fair amount. I know it's probably the least scientific thing I've ever done, but I just stopped drinking it there and then, and that was about three years ago.

Diet Coke - the drink of choice in my house. I can knock this back all night, although I wouldn't say I enjoyed it like it's full fat older brother.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Jon O'Neill wrote:[Lots of brainjuice about cola]
Jon O'Neill - the Colasseur.

How long before one of the Michael Jackson lovers of C4C comes in here ranting about Pepsi being the start of his long path to destruction?
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

I voted "Other", as in the unlikely event that I'd ever buy some kind of Cola drink, it would have to be Tesco Value Cola, which is about 35p for two litres. I only really drink tea and cider.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

JimBentley wrote:I voted "Other", as in the unlikely event that I'd ever buy some kind of Cola drink, it would have to be Tesco Value Cola, which is about 35p for two litres. I only really drink tea and cider.
I remember not too many years ago that Sainsbury's Economy cola cost just 17p for 2 litres!
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

I voted "Other" because the question posed is "Cola?" and my answer to that question would invariably be a polite "No thank you".

If I had to have a favourite cola it would probably be PEPSICOLA, because it's a brilliant conundrum scramble. But I still wouldn't drink it.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Phil Reynolds wrote:I voted "Other" because the question posed is "Cola?" and my answer to that question would invariably be a polite "No thank you".
At after-show parties, isn't the question posed more likely to be "Coke?", but with no relation to the above options?
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

Michael Wallace wrote:Virgin Cola always left a horrible film on my teeth - was that just me, then?
Transformers? Or more horrible than that?
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Post by Richard Brittain »

I'm not really into coke or fizzy drinks in general, but I prefer the taste of the old traditional colas, now normally called 'curiosity cola', which have the proper authentic, natural cola taste rather than the modern chemically stuff. I find the taste of drinks such as 'Coca Cola' and 'Dr. Pepper' very superficial, only really a momentary sweetness which hits the tongue with no lasting or meaningful depth of flavour.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

I can only remember having had a cola once in my life - it was a blazing hot day in Washington forty-something years ago, and no other cold soft drink was to be had. :x
(I don't recall which variety it was - but it certainly didn't "hit the spot" :( )
Normally I drink dry cider, or a fruit soft drink = also enjoy the regular meetings of our local wine societies, but don't do home-made nowadays.
Daniel O'Dowd
Acolyte

Post by Daniel O'Dowd »

It got me in the end!

Of the choices; Pepsi goes best for me with savoury things, Coke with sweeter foods. Of course, bottled tastes far different from individual cans, but that's too much of a distinction to need to elaborate on really. Pepsi Max, I tried it when I was 9, I hated it, and I still do. I can drink the diet versions no problem.

My first choice at the moment is Vimto, I enjoy Tesco Diet Kick occasionally, and Lucozade, but asides that, I am really enjoying cloudy lemonade right now. :)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I don't drink brown drinks.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Gavin Chipper wrote:I don't drink brown drinks.
Racist.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Racist.
Tab Clear Supremacist.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Matt Morrison wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:
Racist.
Tab Clear Supremacist.
Tab Clear was awesome, if it weren't for Tab Clear we'd've all woken up speaking German?
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

JimBentley wrote:I voted "Other", as in the unlikely event that I'd ever buy some kind of Cola drink, it would have to be Tesco Value Cola, which is about 35p for two litres. I only really drink tea and cider.
I also took the Jim Bentley approach. I can't understand why anyone would opt for a coke or coke variant in a pub when it's often weak and leaves a bad taste, especially since there's plenty of fine lagers and ales available for pretty much the same price. Even if you're driving there's plenty of non-alcoholic substitutes that won't rot your teeth. Emma's former flatmates are testament to the oral decay they cause as they went through 2x2litre bottles a day between them and I wouldn't go near their mouths with a 10ft bargepole. Also having had the fine privilege of working at Cineworld, I know the science behind the (extortionate) soft drinks served there, and would certainly only buy one as a last resort.

Having said all that:

1) (proper) Ginger Beer
2) Rubicon pink
3) American Cream Soda
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Anyone remember Quatro

I was also partial to cherry Corona, I remember the polar bear in the adverts
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Cherry Coke's great. As for vanilla Coke, cream soda is much nicer!

Pepsi has always tasted much nicer to me than Coke, although I suspect they are actually the same company. Evidence? Blow bubbles through a glass of Coke and it tastes like Pepsi.

The only time I drink any of this muck however is when it's ice-cold, and I'm somewhere very hot. I don't like having furry teeth otherwise.

And finally, death to false sugar, it mings badly. Any of the diet/max/whatever drinks leave a nasty claggy afterfeel, and they always taste way too sweet.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Fentimans Curiosity Cola is quite nice.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Andy Wilson wrote:Fentimans Curiosity Cola is quite nice.
I like Fentiman's lemonade actually.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Ian Volante wrote:Blow bubbles through a glass of Coke and it tastes like Pepsi.
This reminds me of the great Fred Wedlock's old adage that "Watney's Red Barrel on the way down tastes like scrumpy coming up".
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Some good responses so far. One thing I find particularly interesting is that the 'manly' Coke variant (Coke Zero) is performing rather badly, whereas in the Pepsi camp it's analogue (The Max) is doing rather well, with Diet Pepsi the equivalent loser.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Cherry Coke is my favourite After that just normal coke. I hate diet coke and anything sugar free or fat free. Cheap coke is cheap but it tastes awful. Coke is my favourite drink. I drink loads and I don't have rotten teeth or diabetes -yet.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Daniel O'Dowd wrote: My first choice at the moment is Vimto, I enjoy Tesco Diet Kick occasionally, and Lucozade, but asides that, I am really enjoying cloudy lemonade right now. :)
Vimto and Kick are good. Isn't it cloudy lemonade which looks like it has semen in the bottom?
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Jimmy Gough wrote:
Daniel O'Dowd wrote: My first choice at the moment is Vimto, I enjoy Tesco Diet Kick occasionally, and Lucozade, but asides that, I am really enjoying cloudy lemonade right now. :)
Vimto and Kick are good. Isn't it cloudy lemonade which looks like it has semen in the bottom?
That's because it does. Little-known fact, that. I know many lemonade facts.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Another other vote. Don't like any cola. For a soft drink, I go for orange with lemonade.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

James Robinson wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:

I haven't got a helmet.

(You just KNEW I was going to say that)
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Rosemary Roberts wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:Virgin Cola always left a horrible film on my teeth - was that just me, then?
Transformers? Or more horrible than that?
Funny!!! :lol:

Does anyone else find that drinking lemonade makes you blow spit bubbles?
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Emma's former flatmates are testament to the oral decay they cause as they went through 2x2litre bottles a day between them and I wouldn't go near their mouths with a 10ft bargepole.
Shame... with their prodigous guzzling habits, they might have rather enjoyed having a large pole thrust towards their mouths.