March's Daily Duels

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

March's Daily Duels

Post by Neil Zussman »

FWIW, I don't think duels should roll over at all. If I don't log-on for a day, I give up my right to do the duel. I don't expect to get a second chance to get some points just because apterous was down for a few hours at a time when I wouldn't have been on anyway.
If only a few people can do the duel, they won't gain many points anyway, so it hardly gives them an unfair advantage. It's just luck. Similarly, if you say 'it will only roll over if apterous was down for 4 or more hours' there is still a lot of luck involved. It is possible that on one occasion, I will only be online for one hour on a particle day. If apterous will be down for that same hour, and no more, that's just bad luck.
It's not like the rounds are, on their own, something you would be greatly annoyed to miss. They're just normal rounds, it's the fact they're in the duel that makes them 'special'.
Besides, I like to know asap how badly I did. :)
My goodness I've explained that badly. Hopefully you get the gist.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: March's Daily Duels

Post by Charlie Reams »

Neil Zussman wrote:FWIW, I don't think duels should roll over at all. If I don't log-on for a day, I give up my right to do the duel. I don't expect to get a second chance to get some points just because apterous was down for a few hours at a time when I wouldn't have been on anyway.
If only a few people can do the duel, they won't gain many points anyway, so it hardly gives them an unfair advantage. It's just luck. Similarly, if you say 'it will only roll over if apterous was down for 4 or more hours' there is still a lot of luck involved. It is possible that on one occasion, I will only be online for one hour on a particle day. If apterous will be down for that same hour, and no more, that's just bad luck.
It's not like the rounds are, on their own, something you would be greatly annoyed to miss. They're just normal rounds, it's the fact they're in the duel that makes them 'special'.
Interesting point. The rollover system was brought in when the server was much flakier than it is now. People often ask for rollovers so I assumed it was popular but maybe not.
Lee Simmonds
Acolyte

Post by Lee Simmonds »

Neil Zussman wrote:FWIW, I don't think duels should roll over at all. If I don't log-on for a day, I give up my right to do the duel. I don't expect to get a second chance to get some points just because apterous was down for a few hours at a time when I wouldn't have been on anyway.
I agree that you make an interesting point Neil. Certainly if you don't even attempt to log on on any given day, for whatever reason, then you should not 'benefit' from a rollover duel. However, there will be plenty of people that are only able to log on at certain times, ie in the evenings if they are at work all day. Unfortunately, access is disabled on my work laptop so I can only play in the evenings from about 7pm. I guess it is a matter of opinion as to whether it is bad luck or not if apterous is down at that time.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Lee Simmonds wrote: However, there will be plenty of people that are only able to log on at certain times, ie in the evenings if they are at work all day. Unfortunately, access is disabled on my work laptop so I can only play in the evenings from about 7pm. I guess it is a matter of opinion as to whether it is bad luck or not if apterous is down at that time.
I agree, Lee.
And there are others, like me, who tend to log on in the morning or afternoon, who are rather left out if apterous is down then, if the DD doesn't roll over.
If Charlie is considering it, I certainly think there should be a vote before the rollover rule (whether it works every time or not) is abandoned.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli