Channel 4 Catch-Up

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Diane Allinson
Rookie

Channel 4 Catch-Up

Post by Diane Allinson »

Has anyone had problems watching Kirk's final game online on Channel 4 Catch-Up (Tues 17th March)?
I watched the first 'half' but after the ads when the second 'half' was supposed to come on i just get a static ad page for Ch4 CU, and can't get past this at all.
Such a shame because i have been watching Kirk (great contestant btw Kirk!) through all his run but couldn't avoid missing the last one.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Re: Channel 4 Catch-Up

Post by Michael Wallace »

I've had similar problems, as have Phil Reynolds and Ben Hunter. I tried again an hour or so ago and still no joy. Am currently trying to see if there's any promising looking email address with which to contact them. There's a limit to how long I'll be able to browse the forum without someone spoilering the outcome!
Diane Allinson
Rookie

Post by Diane Allinson »

I've found a contact form for Catch-Up at
http://help.channel4.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W ... LE=CONTACT
if a few of us send it they may be more likely to fix it?
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Diane Allinson wrote:I've found a contact form for Catch-Up at [...]
if a few of us send it they may be more likely to fix it?
This has been discussed in detail in the spoilers thread, although if you're avoiding looking there until you've seen the show it's understandable you won't have seen it. Several of us have already returned the form to complain - we just have to wait. From past experience, they will fix it but it takes a day or two. Alternatively, you could tape the repeat on Friday morning at 5am.
Diane Allinson
Rookie

Post by Diane Allinson »

I just sent an enquiry form - just to let you know - i tried to send the form as a 'Programme Enquiry' but the 'Clear Form' and 'Submit Form' buttons disappear from the webpage when you choose that option, so i had to send it as 'Technical Enquiry'.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Diane Allinson wrote:I just sent an enquiry form - just to let you know - i tried to send the form as a 'Programme Enquiry' but the 'Clear Form' and 'Submit Form' buttons disappear from the webpage when you choose that option, so i had to send it as 'Technical Enquiry'.
I found the same unless I clicked on another page and then pressed BACK, the Submit button came back!
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Thanks for the link - have sent them a message myself. Hopefully they shall fear the wrath of an angry group of Countdown watchers.
Diane Allinson
Rookie

Post by Diane Allinson »

Thanks Phil. I was purposely avoiding the spoilers page; i like to play along with the game.
Unfortunately I don't have any recording facility so am pretty reliant on the website, but that's helpful info for anyone else that might have. I hope they fix the website.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Just so you know, when they say "A member of our Customer Support team will review your email and will get back to you within 24 hours", what they mean is "Don't expect to get a reply from us for at least 24 hours, and when you do it will be a standard message suggesting that you reinstall Windows Media Player".

However, hopefully one of us who reported it last night will have got things moving before that happens.
Diane Allinson
Rookie

Post by Diane Allinson »

Sounds about right! lol
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Diane Allinson wrote:Has anyone had problems watching Kirk's final game online on Channel 4 Catch-Up (Tues 17th March)?
I watched the first 'half' but after the ads when the second 'half' was supposed to come on i just get a static ad page for Ch4 CU, and can't get past this at all.
Such a shame because i have been watching Kirk (great contestant btw Kirk!) through all his run but couldn't avoid missing the last one.
Thanks, Diane.

The best way is download 4oD and then click "download". It takes about 2 hours sometimes but after that you can watch the entire show. If you click "stream" (which is how you normally watch instantly - it's like channel 4 catch up) it cuts off after the first advert break as you experienced. I've seen the show now using the download facility on 4oD. Hope this helps.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Yay. It's fixed. Finally.
Tracey Lilly
Rookie

Post by Tracey Lilly »

But sadly today's episode hasn't been updated thus far and neither is it available on 4OD.
I do wish they would be consistent with the time the programme is uploaded each day.
It is so frustrating to sit there with pen poised after tea and find it is a no brainer.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

From this week, 4OD have now introduced advertisements at the beginning of each episode. I hope they won't start reinserting the advert breaks in the show as well, as it makes it nice and easy for me to catch up in 37 minutes when I get home.

I already now have to fast-forward 1 minute instead of the previous 47 seconds at the start :D
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Derek Hazell wrote:From this week, 4OD have now introduced advertisements at the beginning of each episode.
It's unclear from your post whether you're talking about 4OD or 4OD Catch-up, but assuming you mean the latter (since it's the topic of this thread), the ads have been there for as long as I've been watching, which is at least a couple of months.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Phil Reynolds wrote:It's unclear from your post whether you're talking about 4OD or 4OD Catch-up
Derek Hazell wrote:it makes it nice and easy for me to catch up in 37 minutes when I get home.
I did actually think it was all the same thing though, I forgot that they have archive shows as well.

Phil Reynolds wrote:the ads have been there for as long as I've been watching, which is at least a couple of months.
Ooh, Virgin must have been really spoiling its users then!
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Well, Virgin's good treatment of its subscribers didn't last long! They haven't bothered to include Thursday's or Friday's episodes this week. This is very annoying, as I hate watching stuff online. Also, just as Virgin have now removed the adverts again, you are forced to watch them on the online version.