Random stat

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Random stat

Post by Charlie Reams »

Of the 82,162 words in the Apterous lexicon, 46,263 have now been offered. Which is pretty cool?
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Re: Random stat

Post by Allan Harmer »

Interesting stat Charlie.

It begs the thought as to how many 2, 3 and 4 letter words there are of the 82,162 as they are least likely to be used?
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

How many have been offered as maxima? ;)
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

It would be good to have a list of all the valid threes played by human players, just for a laugh. I've definitely been down to three at least twice, BAP was one and the other I can't remember.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

Martin Gardner wrote:It would be good to have a list of all the valid threes played by human players, just for a laugh. I've definitely been down to three at least twice, BAP was one and the other I can't remember.
Coincidently, I was just forced to declare the 3-letter word Vex, mainly because after the first 4 consonants were VXPY, I decided to choose 5 vowels to try to minimize the max. It failed, though, since Chris got the excellent Epoxy.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Ben Wilson wrote:How many have been offered as maxima? ;)
In fairness, twice in one day I risked a five only to find that the max was four. I first risked GOUDA, which is a cheese I think. So is it capitalised or is it not valid at all? Then ZORIL^ a Scrabble word. Based on words like ZORIL and EPOXY, I guess Chris must play Scrabble at some level or another.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Charlie Reams wrote:Of the 82,162 words in the Apterous lexicon, 46,263 have now been offered. Which is pretty cool?
And as of yet, i'm the only person to play EUNUCHS. Must be a taboo word for some :|
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

D Eadie wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:Of the 82,162 words in the Apterous lexicon, 46,263 have now been offered. Which is pretty cool?
And as of yet, i'm the only person to play EUNUCHS. Must be a taboo word for some :|
The rest of us just don't have the balls to play it.

[groan]
Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Post by Chris Davies »

Martin Gardner wrote:
Ben Wilson wrote:How many have been offered as maxima? ;)
In fairness, twice in one day I risked a five only to find that the max was four. I first risked GOUDA, which is a cheese I think. So is it capitalised or is it not valid at all? Then ZORIL^ a Scrabble word. Based on words like ZORIL and EPOXY, I guess Chris must play Scrabble at some level or another.
Yeah, I used to play Scrabble a fair bit. I'm musicman on ISC.
ZORIL is an African mammal according to my ODE from 1990. Wonder why they removed it from the dictionary since?

I looked into the GOUDA issue, turns out it isn't valid in Countdown because it's capitalised. CHEDDAR and CHESHIRE, for example, aren't allowed either. All of these are named after places. GUERNSEY, however, as in Guernsey cows, is fine. Where's the logic?
Kevin Davis
Acolyte

Post by Kevin Davis »

Chris Davies wrote:I looked into the GOUDA issue, turns out it isn't valid in Countdown because it's capitalised. CHEDDAR and CHESHIRE, for example, aren't allowed either. All of these are named after places. GUERNSEY, however, as in Guernsey cows, is fine. Where's the logic?
You can also wear a GUERNSEY - it's an item of clothing (cf JERSEY).
Oh, cackwires!