8s which are always winners

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

8s which are always winners

Post by Clare Sudbery »

Someone linked to this handy page on countdown wiki a while ago, which lists 7-letter words which are never the max (because each one only contains 2 vowels and the addition of any vowel will give you an 8-letter word).

But according to Mark Tournoff's book, there is also an "8s which are always winners" list... and I wondered if anyone could find a link for me (I've tried, but failed)?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Re: 8s which are always winners

Post by Jon Corby »

By "8s which are always winners", do you just mean 8s to which you can't add any letter to make a 9? There'll be literally thousands of them surely?
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

Yeah, good point.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Clare Sudbery wrote:Someone linked to this handy page on countdown wiki a while ago, which lists 7-letter words which are never the max (because each one only contains 2 vowels and the addition of any vowel will give you an 8-letter word).

But according to Mark Tournoff's book, there is also an "8s which are always winners" list... and I wondered if anyone could find a link for me (I've tried, but failed)?
I'd interpret that to mean an eight letter word that doesn't give a nine or any other eight, therefore it's a darren. Or possibly an eight that never gives a nine, no matter what the other letter is. Yes, that makes more sense.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?