If I were to Americanize Countdown

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

If I were to Americanize Countdown

Post by Jason Larsen »

I know an American Countdown pilot was scrapped for being too intellectual, but I thought I would post here and try to let you all know how I would Americanize Countdown if I could. More information will be explained if needed. Here goes:

Host: Wink Martindale (This show needs a veteran, and I think his light serious side and dry sense of humor is the perfect combination for him to host Countdown.
Hostess: Sara Bronson (This Chicago-born dance major is very sweet, friendly and can interact with people very well. I think she can interact with the contestants on Countdown very well also. She is currently model #7 on our version of Deal or No Deal
Changes: Make 18 the minimum age for a contestant to be on the show. Refer to the Teatime Teaser as the Snacktime Stumper. Dispense with the tournament.
Network distribution: Syndicated, offered to all stations in the early afternoon. (That means pitched to stations that really want it. There are not too many game shows on network daytime television here in America these days.)

This version will be based on the old 9-round format of Countdown. I happen to agree with someone that 45 minutes is too long for a daytime game show. Some standard rules with American twists still apply, such as the fact that British spellings are not allowed. I think it would be great if someone could make an exact replica of the clock. The new arrangement of Alan Hawkshaw's classic theme song will be used, as well as a replica of the current UK set. In other words, if most of it ain't broke, don't fix it.

To learn more about the host and hostess, go to their respective websites at http://www.winkmartindale.com and http://www.sarabronson.net.

What does everyone think of this idea?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: If I were to Americanize Countdown

Post by Charlie Reams »

Yes, I especially like the idea of Charles Bronson as Carol. It would take an actor of his calibre to pull off her dramatic entrances and brutal fistfights with Susie "Bruisie" Dent. Or did you mean the notorious criminal (real name Michael Peterson)?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Yes, but Sara is very sweet.

If you take a listen to a few of her interviews at http://www.sarabronson.net, you will see that she is a great person. Her answer to one of the questions they had asked her was a sure sign that I thought she would be a great hostess on a US Countdown.

I was hoping you would be able to see and take in her point of view, and that is why I think she would be "the one" for a hostess.
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

I know an American Countdown pilot was scrapped for being too intellectual
There's never been an American Countdown pilot - its a myth, along with Harry Peters.
Refer to the Teatime Teaser as the Snacktime Stumper.
You've obviously got something very wrong with you. Very wrong.
Some standard rules with American twists still apply, such as the fact that British spellings are not allowed

How dare you. There's no such thing as a British spelling. Its called English, no matter if you are in Peru or Belgium. English is English, you can't ban our version, it's the only real one there is.
What does everyone think of this idea?
Do they administer the electric chair in your state? :D
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I'm sorry, it was just an idea.

Damian, just so you know I will still be posting here.
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

I'll have a word with the CIA. Expect a knock on the door around midnight.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Are you kidding, Damian?
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Yes mate. Don't worry, pretty much every post on this site is aimed at extracting the urine out of someone ... bar yours of course.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Where are the smiles?

If you want to know more about how I feel right now, please read my most recent thread in the Off-topic forum.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

The interesting one is the idea of making the minimum age 18, I can't see any advantage to that, to be honest. I know they have that in France as well, the minimum age is 16. There aren't many contestants under that age anyway.

Oh and Jason... that's just what this forum is like. You have to assume that whatever annoy says is NOT serious. It pisses me off sometimes too, but if I don't like it... all I have to do is stop reading! But in fairness once you realise it's all in jest, you should be fine.

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

The minimum age to appear on any American game show is 18.

Martin, thank you for the good pointers there.
Kevin Thurlow
Acolyte

Post by Kevin Thurlow »

"Wink Martindale "

Is this the Wink Martindale who released a version of "Deck of Cards"? Oh no.

Kevin
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Yes.

He's much better than you think he is, Kevin. In fact, he is the person who has hosted the most game shows here in America and is still alive.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Being alive is definitely a good attribute for a game show host, although William G. Stewart pushes the boundary.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I know who he is, and he looks great.
Kevin Thurlow
Acolyte

Post by Kevin Thurlow »

Tex Ritter's version of D of C was much better! Is "Lingo" still broadcast in USA? It used to be on an obscure satellite channel over here.

A major worry with American game shows (and most English ones now) is the unnatural, interminable, inane screaming and wild applause. I don't mean this as a racist slur - I am well aware that we gave the world drivel like Big Brother and X-Factor!

Kevin
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Kevin, are you talking about the US version of Lingo with Chuck Woolery?

Anyway, I forgot who it was that UK daytime gameshows are more reserved than UK primetime gameshows, but do you think that's actually true?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Big Brother originated in the Netherlands, didn't it?
Jennifer Turner
Acolyte

Post by Jennifer Turner »

Corby wrote:Big Brother originated in the Netherlands, didn't it?
Indeed it did. I remember the newspaper stories coming out about that, when people were saying "oh no, this is sick, those Dutch freaks have gone too far this time, this sort of thing could never happen in Britain". (Even Peter Bazalgette says he thought there was no way the show was going to work in Britain.) That was about eight months before BB started here and became the hit of the year.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Without question, I think the Winker stands as my choice to host Countdown here in America. Even though he may be more like Des Lynam, who was my least favorite Countdown host he deserves the position because he has been hosting game shows for so long. Honestly, I can't see anyone else doing it.

And I thought that only after I considered my original choice for US Countdown, Bob Eubanks. He hosted what you all call Newlyweds in your country (We call it The Newlywed Game) over 40 years ago, and around the same time he brought the Beatles here to America. Then, he came to your country in 1992 to host Infatuation.

When I thought about it, I realized that Bob was too silly for Countdown.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I'm bumping this thread up to let you all know something.

Some of you may not recognize the name Wink Martindale, but I know at least one of you remembers the UK version of the game show, "Trivial Pursuit" with Tony Slattery. Wink was the one who created that show with a man by the name of Bill Hillier.

Wink is a veteran, and I think he would be just perfect as a Countdown host.