Countdown recordings

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Countdown recordings

Post by Julie T »

My eldest son and I are going to see a recording next week, my first one! 8-)
After that, and the CoLin experience, I won't have any excuse not to apply to be a contestant. :)

Anyway, I'd like any tips from those of you who've been in the audience before.

Anything you can think of: parking tips, how long usually between breaks (it's 4 and a half hours, so presumably there'll be breaks), whether you can take your own snacks, thermos, etc or whether there's somewhere to buy them, etc, etc,

Ta muchly,

Julie
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Richard Priest
Devotee

Re: Countdown recordings

Post by Richard Priest »

There's a car park just a little bit along from the studios Julie, couldn't advise you as to cost of parking as I've only ever parked on the hotel car park before.

Not sure about taking your own food, but there is a restaurant just down the corridor from the Countdown studio where you can get hot or cold food and drinks.

Yes there are breaks, no more than 2 shows are filmed in succession and when that happens there is about a 15 minute break in between shows. The people in the studio will advise you as to when you will be having breaks and what time you need to be back in the studio.

Hope you enjoy it :)
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

I seem to remember that the public car park I've always parked in (Burley Road) costs a few quid for four or five hours, so you might want to bring several coins to feed it! In my experience, there are usually plenty of spaces, so hopefully you shouldn't have any parking hassles. To get to it, turn off the A65 down Studio Road (which runs to the right of the main studio building) and take the second right. Hope some of that is useful!
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Have fun, Julie!

I hope you learn more about Jeff!
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Thanks! :)

I must admit that I'm kicking myself for not applying for tickets when Carol was still there, but it'll be fun to see the newbies in action, plus get some idea of it'll be like if I become a contestant.

If I'd've got on when I first applied to be a contestant (in 2003/4??), the host would have been RW of course. Still, such is life.
I've improved since then, so unless nerves get to me in the audition, I reckon I've got a good chance if I apply again.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Julie, Rachel is very nice! You know this if you saw her and Jeff's interview on ITV's morning show!
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Oh, I'm sure she is, Jason. And I did see the interview.
It's just that CV was on Countdown right from the start, it's a shame I missed seeing her in action in person.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I thought she would be a lot of fun.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Went today, and it was brilliant! :D :D :D

Journey was fine, despite the fog.

Parked in Burley Road car park, and only cost £2.40 as parking is free after 5:30pm, nothing compared to petrol costs from Hertfordshire. :(

Watched 3 games recorded,with a break between 2nd and 3rd.
We took snacks and drinks because of the journey, but there was free tea/coffee/squash and biscuits anyway.

To say any more would probably be a spoiler, but all the participants were great, and the warm up guy was very funny. :lol:

I'd recommend any fans to go - great fun! :)
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I think all the posts in this thread show the difference between praising and panning.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jason Larsen wrote:I think all the posts in this thread show the difference between praising and panning.
What?
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Jason Larsen wrote:I think all the posts in this thread show the difference between praising and panning.
Not sure what you mean, Jason.

BTW, I don't think it's too much of a spoiler to say that I was pleased to hear Jeff say 'crucial' instead of 'critical' conundrum. :)
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I misread the title of the thread this was posted in.

Sorry, Julie and Kirk.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

That's OK, Jason, easily done! :)
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Thank you, Julie!
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Oh I really want to go sometime soon now too! Leeds isn't too far from Quorn, Leics is it? Maybe I could combine it with a trip to Rosemary Conley HQ at some point. But I'd also want to go at a time when others were going too - to meet you, and find out if you really are so witty in person. ;)
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Lesley, you know, the whole country of England will be hearing about you if you're a clear winner on Countdown!
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Jason, I didn't mean for applying - just to be in the audience. I'm not so hot at the letters and would make a buffoon of myself.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Have fun with Jeff and Rachel, Lesley!
Kathleen Batlle
Acolyte

Post by Kathleen Batlle »

I'd love to go and sit in the audience, but it would be a long trek from the Costa Brava where I live. I could maybe combine a visit to Leeds with a UK holiday sometime, but I usually go south (Essex or Hampshire) when I visit friends over there. I must put this in my "things to do before I die" list. In the meantime I'll just enjoy the tv show and this forum, which I really love. Thanks everyone.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I'm glad you're so optimistic, Kathie!
Brian Whitworth
Rookie

Post by Brian Whitworth »

so am right in thinking that if they film 5 eps a day, we are only seeing Rachel and Jeff on their 3rd day on the job!?!

WOW - that's amazing!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Brianlee72 wrote:so am right in thinking that if they film 5 eps a day, we are only seeing Rachel and Jeff on their 3rd day on the job!?!
Yep. How many people do you know who were that good at their jobs on their third day?
Brian Whitworth
Rookie

Post by Brian Whitworth »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Brianlee72 wrote:so am right in thinking that if they film 5 eps a day, we are only seeing Rachel and Jeff on their 3rd day on the job!?!
Yep. How many people do you know who were that good at their jobs on their third day?
None!! they are brilliant, I know Rachel had a few very minor hitches at first, due to nerves, ie dropping a few cards, and picking up too few or too may for the numbers rounds etc but now she is fantastic!!

All credit to them -- and it's good to know that the ratings have now actually increased since the 'reboot' - great news. :geek: