Wednesday 17th April 2013 (Series 68, Prelim 27)

Round-by-round summaries of every game in recent series; for every series in the last 5 years, try cdb, the Countdown database. Obviously this forum contains spoilers!

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Wednesday 17th April 2013 (Series 68, Prelim 27)

Post by James Robinson »

So, we have a new #1 on the Series 68 seed table and in the record books, and it'll take some moving to get Giles Hutchings off that perch :!: ;) :) :D

Who knows :?: Maybe one of our 2 new contestants could spring a surprise.........

Let's see and enjoy. ;) :) :D

Countdown recap for Wednesday 17 April 2013.

C1: Challenger Victoria Woollaston. A technical journalist for a website user magazine from Pimlico, London. She previously worked as a festival co-ordinator.
C2: Challenger Dan Tibbles. An astrophysics graduate from Bracknell, Berkshire. He used to work as a rides operator at Legoland Windsor. 8-)
DC: Susie Dent and Paul Zenon.
RR: Rachel Riley.
OT: Other words or solutions.

R01: L T G I E I Z N D
R02: N R E U P F E M N
R03: 50, 25, 8, 1, 1, 2. Target: 594.
TTT: LIVEALOT - "If you live on the edge a lot, you might have this sort of temperament"
R04: T R T U I M S E L
R05: B N S O E A D Q E
R06: 100, 6, 3, 1, 9, 10. Target: 922.
R07: P D R A E I H R O
R08: L S D A E A S M I
R09: 50, 2, 2, 7, 6, 7. Target: 863.
TTT: ROOFSTEM - "It sounds like no more than five and it usually follows first"
R10: L G A I E M F N K
R11: N S R U O E W S E
R12: C B N A O T D E O
R13: G N T A E A G V O
R14: 100, 50, 25, 10, 1, 9. Target: 126.
R15: U N D O N E T U G (conundrum)

And now a brief interlude before our main feature:

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Enjoy the show.

Round 1: L T G I E I Z N D

C1: TINGLED (7)
C2: TINGLED (7)
DC: EDITING (7) DIETING (7)
OT: DILIGENT (8)
Score: 7–7 (max 8)

We seem to have been been TINGLED to start today. But, no-one is DILIGENT enough to spot the darrenic 8 early doors. :)

Round 2: N R E U P F E M N

C1: PRUNE (5)
C2: PRUNE (5)
DC: PERFUME (7)
Score: 12–12 (max 15)

Another darren missed by the players, who seem to want to be PRUNEs now. If they ever find Apterous, they might want to reconsider. :P :lol:

Round 3: 50, 25, 8, 1, 1, 2. Target: 594.

C1: 600.
C2: 596. ((50 + 25) x 8) - 2 - 1 - 1 (7)
RR: 594. ((50 + 25 - 1) x 8) + 2 (10)
Score: 12–19 (max 25)

The art of split multiplication seems to be lost to our players, but Dan takes the first lead with his 2 away method.

Teatime teaser: LIVEALOT -> VOLATILE

Round 4: T R T U I M S E L

C1: MUTTERS (7)
C2: MUTTERS (7)
DC: SMUTTIER (8)
OT: SURTITLE (8)
Score: 19–26 (max 33)

Some more MUTTERings coming out of the contestants' mouths, but DC shock us all with a SMUTTIER offering :!: :shock: :o :lol:

Round 5: B N S O E A D Q E

C1: seabond
C2: DEBASE (6)
DC: DEBONES (7)
Score: 19–32 (max 40)

Hmmm, when Victoria said she had a risky 7, I so thought she was going to say DEBONES, so it sort of took me aback when seabond was said, and Victoria now finds herself further down the ocean............ :P

Round 6: 100, 6, 3, 1, 9, 10. Target: 922.

C1: 921. (9 x 100) + ((6 / 3) x 10) + 1 (7)
C2: 927.
RR: 922. ((100 + 3) x 9) - (6 - 1) (10)
Score: 26–32 (max 50)

Another case of lack of split multiplication costing there..............., but Vicky gets closer this time, meaning that she's right back in it.

Paul becomes the envy of just about every man alive, as he makes Rachel and Susie put some Brazilian reals down their fronts. :shock:

Round 7: P D R A E I H R O

C1: HOARDER (7)
C2: PARRIED (7)
DC: AIRDROP (7)
OT: HARDIER (7) HARRIED (7) HOARIER (7) RAPHIDE (7)
Score: 33–39 (max 57)

AND FINALLY!!! Both players get their first maxes of the day in this flat round of seven 7's. :P

A RAPHIDE is any of numerous needle-shaped crystals, usually of calcium oxalate, that occur in many plant cells as a metabolic product.

Round 8: L S D A E A S M I

C1: malades
C2: MISLEAD (7)
DC: MALADIES (8) SALAMIS (7) DAMSELS (7) MISLEADS (8)
OT: ASSAILED (8) MISDEALS (8)
Score: 33–46 (max 65)

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. A bit of a round of despair in this one. Victoria's 7 is a but too French for the dictionary, but by sticking an I in it, it would've got her a brilliant 8, and even Dan forgets to stick the additional S onto his 7 for an 8............ :roll: :oops: :roll: :oops:

Round 9: 50, 2, 2, 7, 6, 7. Target: 863.

C1: -
C2: -
RR: 863. (((50 x 2) + 7) x (2 + 6)) + 7 (10)
Score: 33–46 (max 75)

Well, I think we can forgive them both for blanking out on this one. Even I could only get 858 in the time :!: And even our Rach needs some extra time to solve this, with her method being the only correct one for this nasty numbers game. 8-)

Teatime teaser: ROOFSTEM -> FOREMOST

Round 10: L G A I E M F N K

C1: FLAMING (7)
C2: FLAMING (7)
DC: FINAGLE (7)
OT: FEMINAL (7) FLAGMEN (7) FLAKING (7) GEMINAL (7) INFLAME (7) LEAFING (7) LEAKING (7) LINKAGE (7) MANLIKE (7)
Score: 40–53 (max 82)

Loadsa loadsa 7's here. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek:

Round 11: N S R U O E W S E

C1: SNORES (6)
C2: ENSUE (5)
DC: NEUROSES (8)
OT: SNOWSURE (8)
Score: 46–53 (max 90)

Victoria gets back in with her dozy 6, but Dan should be kicking himself for a) not sticking the R in ENSUE for ENSURE and b) not sticking the additional S on the end for ENSUES originally, then ENSURES :!: :!: :oops: :oops:

Susie's Origins Of Words talks about the origins of the phrase "slapbang shop".

Round 12: C B N A O T D E O

C1: batoned
C2: COATED (6)
DC: OCTANE (6) CANOED (6)
OT: ODONATE (7) TABOOED (7)
Score: 46–59 (max 97)

Victoria is very unlucky here as batoned does sound like a more than plausible word, but unfortunately, it's still not in, even at this stage............... :(

An ODONATE is any of numerous large predatory aquatic insects of the order Odonata, occurring worldwide and characterized by two pairs of membranous wings.

Round 13: G N T A E A G V O

C1: VANTAGE (7)
C2: VANTAGE (7)
Score: 53–66 (max 104)

A very good VANTAGE point taken up by the contestants, as they both spot the darren, but Dan is in pole position with his 13 point lead.

Round 14: 100, 50, 25, 10, 1, 9. Target: 126.

C1: 126. 100 + 25 + 1 (10)
C2: 126. 100 + 25 + 1 (10)
Score: 63–76 (max 114)

Dan makes a shocking decision by going 3 large, but it proves to be an unexpected masterstroke, as it results in the easiest numbers game of the day :!: :!: :mrgreen:

Round 15: U N D O N E T U G

No one buzzes. The answer was OUTGUNNED.
Final Score: 63–76 (max 124)

But, a deceptively tricky conundrum appears at the end, left to be solved by some happy looking chaps at the back of the studio. :D :lol:

So, after the excellent exploits of Giles in the past 8 shows, we were almost likely to be brought back down to Earth with a bump.

As it is, Dan has the win, which with him being only the 8th person to win a game this series, makes him the #8 seed at the moment :!: :!: :P :P 8-) 8-)

Join me tomorrow to see if he could mount a series finals place challenege, or just be a one-hit wonder.

So, till then, bye bye. ;) :) :D

Statistics Corner

Victoria:
Total score - 63
Raw score - 68
Total % of max - 51
Raw % of max - 55
Total average score per round - 4.2
Raw average score per round - 4.5
Number of maxes - 4

Dan:
Total score - 76
Raw score - 88
Total % of max - 61
Raw % of max - 71
Total average score per round - 5.1
Raw average score per round - 5.9
Number of maxes - 4

Further summaries are at:
http://www.apterous.org/cdb/series.php?series=68
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Re: Wednesday 17th April 2013 (Series 68, Prelim 27)

Post by Andy Platt »

James Robinson wrote:Another darren missed by the players, who seem to want to be PRUNEs now. If they ever find Apterous, they might want to reconsider :P :lol:

The art of split multiplication seems to be lost to our players

Another case of lack of split multiplication costing there...............

AND FINALLY!!! Both players get their first maxes of the day

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. A bit of a round of despair in this one.

So, after the excellent exploits of Giles in the past 8 shows, we were almost likely to be brought back down to Earth with a bump.
I know with the kind-hearted guy you are in person that this totally isn't deliberate at all, but on occasion it can come across as a bit (edit) demeaning to the contestants. This standard really isn't any different from how like 90% of us played before finding the online community.

I'm personally looking forward to seeing some closer games between less practised opponents and seeing some interesting unknown quantities emerge.
Scouting reports: on 8-)
Last edited by Andy Platt on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

James Robinson wrote:Round 3: 50, 25, 8, 1, 1, 2. Target: 594.

The art of split multiplication seems to be lost to our players, but Dan takes the first lead with his 2 away method.
If we're talking about Rachel's method, it's not even split multiplication anyway. Split multiplication is where you multiply by two numbers and add (or subtract) a number in a middle - you split the multiplication. So a similar example to the above would be (75*4-3)*2.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Gavin Chipper wrote:

If we're talking about Rachel's method, it's not even split multiplication anyway. Split multiplication is where you multiply by two numbers and add (or subtract) a number in a middle - you split the multiplication. So a similar example to the above would be (75*4-3)*2.
Yeah, true I guess. Back to the drawing board.............. :roll: :P
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Gavin Chipper wrote:

Yeah, true I guess. Back to the drawing board.............. :roll: :P
Guy Barry
Acolyte

Post by Guy Barry »

Andy Platt wrote:This standard really isn't any different from how like 90% of us played before finding the online community.
Interesting you should say that. I'm just an armchair fan who's never played online and the likes of Giles would have absolutely wiped the floor with me. Yet (pitting myself against the better score in each round) I reckon I'd have scored 101 in this one, and I wasn't even playing my best. (The contestant-beaters were PERFUME in round 2, ASSAILED in round 8, (50*(2+2+7+6))+7 = 857 in round 9, WORSENS in round 11 and a 20-second conundrum.) The only round where I didn't meet the contestants' standards was round 7, where I had RAPIER (so why didn't I think of PARRIED?).

The gap between the "exceptional" players and the merely good ones is really quite telling.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Guy Barry wrote:Interesting you should say that. I'm just an armchair fan who's never played online and the likes of Giles would have absolutely wiped the floor with me. Yet (pitting myself against the better score in each round) I reckon I'd have scored 101 in this one, and I wasn't even playing my best. (The contestant-beaters were PERFUME in round 2, ASSAILED in round 8, (50*(2+2+7+6))+7 = 857 in round 9, WORSENS in round 11 and a 20-second conundrum.) The only round where I didn't meet the contestants' standards was round 7, where I had RAPIER (so why didn't I think of PARRIED?).

The gap between the "exceptional" players and the merely good ones is really quite telling.
GG WP then :)

I just had a look at my first 15 games on apto out of curiosity - in terms of maxes per game, I averaged just under 5, and the contestants got 4 here. So if you would have given them a good hiding, then fair play. I too missed PERFUME when I played it through yesterday, so you would have had a nice 7-0 lead against me :P
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

Nick fell victim to the practice of alluding to another scheduled event to make it seem as if the episode was live, whereas we know it had been recorded weeks ago.
Going on about some pop concert as if it was the big event of the day was an unfortunate coincidence - I suppose it would have been OK on a slow news day :| (I don't know whether it even took place - I haven't bothered to check. or even Googled to discover the star: I think Nick only mentioned his birth name, which I forget now.)
Guy Barry
Acolyte

Post by Guy Barry »

Peter Mabey wrote:Nick fell victim to the practice of alluding to another scheduled event to make it seem as if the episode was live, whereas we know it had been recorded weeks ago.
Going on about some pop concert as if it was the big event of the day was an unfortunate coincidence - I suppose it would have been OK on a slow news day :| (I don't know whether it even took place - I haven't bothered to check. or even Googled to discover the star: I think Nick only mentioned his birth name, which I forget now.)
It seems not: http://news.sky.com/story/1079529/meat- ... rewell-gig