Spoilers for Friday June 8th 2012 (Series 66 Prelim 104)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Jordan F
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Friday June 8th 2012 (Series 66 Prelim 104)

Post by Jordan F »

Ben Nicholson is up to 3 wins, which in this series' past may have been enough to creep into the top 8, but for now, he'll certainly need the 4th, and almost definitely need the 5th as well. Can he get the 4th today? One person who will not be rooting for him is Rob Gibney, who I believe guarantees himself a spot in the finals if Ben loses. It's also the end of Alastair Stewart, who while certainly not terrible, I remember him being better in other appearances in my opinion.

Join Thomas for the recap later.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Re: Spoilers for Friday June 8th 2012 (Series 66 Prelim 104)

Post by Andy Platt »

I'll do it. MALONATES in round 9
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Jordan F wrote:It's also the end of Alastair Stewart, who while certainly not terrible, I remember him being better in other appearances in my opinion.
Better contestants too last year! ;)
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

AMOSITE in round 2 and ASSORTED in round 11.

Bring on Jonathan Rawlinson on Monday :!: ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Post by Jordan F »

Interesting situation Monday as well, if Ben wins, he's in the finals for sure (he'd be at least number 7 seed), and if he loses, Rob Gibney is in.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Jordan F wrote:Interesting situation Monday as well, if Ben wins, he's in the finals for sure (he'd be at least number 7 seed), and if he loses, Rob Gibney is in.
Indeed, and if this week wasn't weird enough, the buzzers weren't buzzed this week either, as all 5 conundrums went to the audience without being guessed at :!: :shock: :o
Keith Bennett
Acolyte

Post by Keith Bennett »

Tony Atkins wrote:
Jordan F wrote:It's also the end of Alastair Stewart, who while certainly not terrible, I remember him being better in other appearances in my opinion.
Better contestants too last year! ;)

Indeed Tony. For you may recall the controversy that surrounded Phyl Style's appearance. At the point she played her first game she was unable to make the seedings for that series, but her results weren't carried over to the current one. Having been unfortunate enough to come up against Jack in her 7th(?) game she lost out entirely, and wrongly so in my view.

Had she been included in the current series I'm guessing she would have been around 5th or 6th seed.
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

In round 13, the challenger had BUSING disallowed but it's valid on apterous and I've checked the dictionary and it's in! If that had been allowed, it would have gone to a crucial conundrum, assuming they'd both still have got the final numbers game. Don't know why Susie didn't at least check it.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Jack Worsley wrote:In round 13, the challenger had BUSING disallowed but it's valid on apterous and I've checked the dictionary and it's in! If that had been allowed, it would have gone to a crucial conundrum, assuming they'd both still have got the final numbers game. Don't know why Susie didn't at least check it.
I thought he said BOSSING, but it is ambiguous. Hopefully this was checked more thoroughly in the original take.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Innis Carson wrote:
Jack Worsley wrote:In round 13, the challenger had BUSING disallowed but it's valid on apterous and I've checked the dictionary and it's in! If that had been allowed, it would have gone to a crucial conundrum, assuming they'd both still have got the final numbers game. Don't know why Susie didn't at least check it.
I thought he said BOSSING, but it is ambiguous. Hopefully this was checked more thoroughly in the original take.
Sounds like BUSING to me. In Susie's defence if I'd been in DC I probably wouldn't have checked it either, because I'd have thought it's obviously BUSSING.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

I thought BUSING is the U.S. variant, as I'd only seen it used in reports from there :?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Graeme Cole wrote:
Innis Carson wrote:
Sounds like BUSING to me. In Susie's defence if I'd been in DC I probably wouldn't have checked it either, because I'd have thought it's obviously BUSSING.
Didn't watch this, but Susie should check every word that she's going to disallow. Anything else would be not doing her job.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Graeme Cole wrote:
Innis Carson wrote:I thought he said BOSSING, but it is ambiguous. Hopefully this was checked more thoroughly in the original take.
Didn't watch this, but Susie should check every word that she's going to disallow. Anything else would be not doing her job.
You're right, I'm not saying it wasn't a mistake to disallow it (go quadruple negative!), all I'm saying is that it was an understandable one to make. I find it surprising that BUSING is in the dictionary.
Martin Long
Acolyte

Post by Martin Long »

I think I pencilled BUSING on Apterous, so I was quite surprised when this was disallowed.