Friday 16 September 2011 (Series 65, Prelim 55)

Round-by-round summaries of every game in recent series; for every series in the last 5 years, try cdb, the Countdown database. Obviously this forum contains spoilers!

Moderator: James Robinson

Mike Brown
Legend

Friday 16 September 2011 (Series 65, Prelim 55)

Post by Mike Brown »

Countdown recap for Friday 16 September 2011 (Series 65, Prelim 55).

C1: Challenger Peter Metcalfe.
C2: Challenger Nick Theobald.
DC: Susie Dent and Paul Zenon.
RR: Rachel Riley.
OT: Other words or solutions.

Apparently I seem to be getting all the joy (if that’s what it is!) of doing all the recaps with two new contestants, so it’s time to introduce two more. Peter Metcalfe is a maths student from St. Helen’s in Merseyside and he also enjoys birdwatching; Nick Theobald is from Bristol where he indulges in his passion for ‘Dad’s Army’ - while he’s not buying timber from sawmills, that is. On the face of it, Peter looks like the young tyke who’s going to be the next champion, as he fits the typical age and gender profile, but his location suggests he might be the latest standby contestant, so it’s hard to place your bets at this stage - which makes it all the more exciting, of course. Let’s go!

R01: N E I P T R O C A
R02: I B W A T B E S V
R03: L R I N A U S V E
R04: O L T N I E M G O
R05: 25, 75, 50, 9, 6, 4. Target: 977.
TTT: TREEDOCK - "The price of leaves went through the roof."
R06: I E T H A P T R O
R07: N Q E I R W O A D
R08: E I M G L U X L T
R09: N I D S H E A F U
R10: 75, 25, 2, 10, 2, 9. Target: 228.
TTT: SPRAYSIT - "Places like Bath are really hard to find."
R11: T S O A E C S R L
R12: O K Y U R E P D S
R13: P C G O E R N U E
R14: 75, 25, 10, 10, 1, 8. Target: 508.
R15: R E L A I D B E T (conundrum)

Countdown is sponsored by Vitabiotics Wellwoman.

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

As you may know, in celebration of 100 years of the COD, Countdown is looking out for new words to mention on the programme and today Jeff and Rachel bring us the first offerings: ‘overpudlian’, ‘lushtastic’ and ‘plodcast’. I’m sure there are plenty more where they came from.

Round 1: N E I P T R O C A

C1: PAINTER (7)
C2: COPIER (6)
DC: RECAPTION (18)
Score: 7–0 (max 18)

Nick though about CAPTIONER^, while DC swap the RE- around to make a niner. There are, of course, lots of eights there, if you’re interested.

Round 2: I B W A T B E S V

C1: TABBIES (7)
C2: TABBIES (7)
DC: TABBIES (7)
OT: SWABBIE (7) WAVIEST (7)
Score: 14–7 (max 25)

No one pussyfoots around and everyone spots TABBIES for seven. A SWABBIE is US nautical slang for a member of the navy.

Round 3: L R I N A U S V E

C1: URINALS (7)
C2: unrivals
DC: UNIVERSAL (18)
Score: 21–7 (max 43)

Nick has another risky word and this time he decides to offer it, but to no avail, I’m afraid. DC spot another nine, the cheeky monkeys. RAVELINS and UNRAVELS were also there for eight.

Round 4: O L T N I E M G O

C1: MELTING (7)
C2: TOOLING (7)
DC: MOONLIT (7)
OT: EMOTING (7) EMOTION (7) LENTIGO (7) LOOMING (7) LOOTING (7) MITOGEN (7) MOONLET (7) MOOTING (7)
Score: 28–14 (max 50)

Lots of lovely sevens, including the beautiful MOONLET, to be found here.

Round 5: 25, 75, 50, 9, 6, 4. Target: 977.

C1: 974.
C2: 975. (9+4)x75 (7)
RR: 977. ((9+4)x75)+(50/25) (10)
Score: 28–21 (max 60)

As Nick reaches the end of his solution, he realises how he could have got ten points, but points out that he ran out of time. At least he’s now back in contention and we’ll see what Part Two brings.

Paul performs a trick using a tenner from Jeff’s wallet and some lemons. Other fruits (including a solitary lime in this case!) are available.

Teatime teaser: TREEDOCK -> ROCKETED

Round 6: I E T H A P T R O

C1: POTTIER (7)
C2: hattier
DC: POTTIER (7)
OT: PARTITE (7) PATRIOT (7)
Score: 35–21 (max 67)

Nick’s at it again and offers a word that really ought to be allowed, in my opinion, as it reminds me of Alice in Wonderland. You know, the Mad Hatter and all that. No? It’s just me, then.

Round 7: N Q E I R W O A D

C1: DOWNIER (7)
C2: REWIND (6)
DC: ANEROID (7)
Score: 42–21 (max 74)

Nick was considering DOWNIER, but thought it too risky. Shame, as his cautiousness means he slips even further behind.

Round 8: E I M G L U X L T

C1: MULLET (6)
C2: MULLET (6)
DC: GIMLET (6)
OT: GLUTEI (6) GULLET (6) ILLUME (6) LIGULE (6) MILLET (6)
Score: 48–27 (max 80)

There’s something fishy going on in this round, as both players plump for MULLET.

Round 9: N I D S H E A F U

C1: HANDIES (7)
C2: FISHED (6)
DC: INFUSED (7)
OT: FUNDIES (7) SNAFUED (7)
Score: 55–27 (max 87)

Peter risks HANDIES and it’s fine, although it’s nothing to do with those things on the end of your wristies, it’s actually a European nickname for a mobile phone. Pity you couldn’t have had UNFISHED^, as in ‘this lake remains unfished’. O.K., so I’m being a bit silly, perhaps, but it is in ‘Merriam-Webster’!

OoW: Susie gives an inquiring viewer the origins of the expression ‘keeping up with the Joneses’.

Round 10: 75, 25, 2, 10, 2, 9. Target: 228.

C1: 228. ((25-2)x10)-2 (10)
C2: -
Score: 65–27 (max 97)

As Rachel points out, it’s easy if you spot the method, which Peter does and he now has a commanding lead.

Teatime teaser: SPRAYSIT -> SPARSITY

Ouch! That Teaser solution scores pretty highly on the pun-ometer!

Round 11: T S O A E C S R L

C1: SCARLETS (8)
C2: COASTER (7)
DC: COARSEST (8)
OT: ALECOSTS (8) COASTERS (8) CROTALES (8) ESCOLARS (8) LACROSSE (8) SECTORAL (8)
Score: 73–27 (max 105)

It could have all been so very different if Susie had disallowed a dubious mass noun plural and Nick had plonked the second ‘S’ on the end of COASTER. But it wasn’t and it’s almost over for the Bristolian. An ALECOST (also known as a COSTMARY) is a member of the daisy family, which was used to flavour ale before hops were favoured, and an ESCOLAR is a predatory fish, so-called because it looks like it’s wearing glasses (yes, really).

Round 12: O K Y U R E P D S

C1: POURED (6)
C2: SPOKED (6)
DC: PRUDES (6)
OT: KOUPREYS (8)
Score: 79–33 (max 113)

A KOUPREY is a very rare grey ox found in the forests of Southeast Asia. It’s amazing what words creep into the dictionary when you’re not looking!

Round 13: P C G O E R N U E

C1: PREEN (5)
C2: ponger
DC: RECOUP (6) OPENER (6) ENCORE (6)
OT: CONGEE (6) CONGER (6) CONURE (6) CREPON (6) PONGEE (6) POUNCE (6) REOPEN (6) UNROPE (6)
Score: 84–33 (max 119)

Apparently you can’t be a ponger. Not in this dictionary, anyway. CONURE is a kind of parakeet and CREPON is a crepe-like material, but it’s heavier and crinklier than your average crepe, apparently. Personally, I prefer mine with a generous helping of Nutella.

Round 14: 75, 25, 10, 10, 1, 8. Target: 508.

C1: 508. ((75-25)x10)+8 (10)
C2: 501.
Score: 94–33 (max 129)

The 25 and 75 come out for the third time today and Peter’s perfect solve puts him in with a chance of a century on his debut appearance.

Round 15: R E L A I D B E T

C2 buzzes on 15.5 seconds to say DELIBERATE which is incorrect.
C1 does not buzz.
The answer was LIBERATED.
Final Score: 94–33 (max 139)

Nick’s chuffed he’s got it right and raises his hands in delight, but the board turns to cruelly reveal the word ‘INCORRECT’. Peter is left with the rest of the time, but it’s left to the audience to put Nick out of his misery after the thirty seconds have elapsed.

So, it was Peter who triumphed, but can he do so again on Monday when Dave Spikey will be back in Dictionary Corner? And will it be another ‘two newcomers Friday’ next weekend? Tune in to ‘Current Recaps’ to find out!

Further summaries are at:
http://www.apterous.org/cdb/series.php?series=65