Should lizards be kept as pets?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Should lizards be kept as pets?

Post by Thomas Carey »

What are your opinions on lizards being kept as pets because it's my science homework for tomorrow and I have no idea.
cheers maus
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Re: Should lizards be kept as pets?

Post by Joseph Krol »

Lizards should be kept as pets because if you got one as a pet, trained it to do the foxtrot or tango, and took it to a circus, you would make at least £78.60 and possibly more.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

yes but not a lot i think
cos dads friend has pet lizard and its fine really, presumably nearly as easy to keep as a fish!
why not research it
does it have to be a balanced argument or do you have to come up with an opinion then back it up with facts?
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

I've done some research. It has to be a balanced argument backed up with facts. Here's my draft so far:

I think lizards should be kept as pets. If they are cared for properly then they will be content so it is OK. Many people think this aswell, but some don’t. For instance, British Columbia banned loads of exotic pets just because some woman got mauled to death by her boyfriend’s pet tiger. It was alright banning tigers and lions, but not things like lizards. They even banned giraffes (which no one would have as a pet anyway). It is very dangerous for lizards in the wild. On the other hand, you’ll have to buy live food for the lizard(s) and the live grubs and ants and stuff could escape into houses.

Oh, and good idea Joseph. I somehow doubt it will be easy traing a lizard to dance, but you could cultivate a tango lizard. :) Or maybe not.
cheers maus
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Thomas Carey wrote:I've done some research. It has to be a balanced argument backed up with facts. Here's my draft so far:

I think lizards should be kept as pets. If they are cared for properly then they will be content so it is OK. Many people think this aswell, but some don’t. For instance, British Columbia banned loads of exotic pets just because some woman got mauled to death by her boyfriend’s pet tiger. It was alright banning tigers and lions, but not things like lizards. They even banned giraffes (which no one would have as a pet anyway). It is very dangerous for lizards in the wild. On the other hand, you’ll have to buy live food for the lizard(s) and the live grubs and ants and stuff could escape into houses.

Oh, and good idea Joseph. I somehow doubt it will be easy traing a lizard to dance, but you could cultivate a tango lizard. :) Or maybe not.
They could be allowed to go in Pet Shows, then the flippin greedy "money money money, im only doing it for the money" people who work at pet shows can get more money. by the way, dont think its a good idea to put that in your work...!
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Thomas Carey wrote:aswell
If you are doing this homework on the computer and you copy and pasted that onto c4c, better put a space in there!
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Lizards should be kept as pets, because:
  • They make a good pet for kids, as they normally die long after the child leaves home.
    Some, like the Uromastyx (killer conundrum methinks), are docile and easily tamed.
    Some, like the blue tongued skink, eat omnivorous diets and eat the majority of things, from papayas to small pieces of capybara.
    They survive in many temperatures.
    They do not require much space to live in, so easily fit in, say, a bedroom, making them ideal for peeps in flats and suchlike.
    They can survive for 5 months without nourishment so ideal for holidaymakers.
    Only s**t once a week.
    They eat their own skin, so even shed skin doesn't need clearing up.
    They spend around 80% of their time asleep, so they need little entertainment.
    Depending on species, they can cost as little as £30.
However, they aren't very cute, can bite and be aggressive, aren't good around other pets, can be a bit boring, and require copious amounts of food. They are also good at escaping and require a lot of equipment and stuff in their terraria/terrariums.

Hope this is enough stuff.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Soph K wrote:
Thomas Carey wrote:I've done some research. It has to be a balanced argument backed up with facts. Here's my draft so far:

They could be allowed to go in Pet Shows, then the flippin greedy "money money money, im only doing it for the money" people who work at pet shows can get more money. by the way, dont think its a good idea to put that in your work...!
Put what in my work? My draft so far is the bit from "I think lizards..." to "...escape into houses."

Edit: Oh right, you mean that pet show thing to not put in my work.

Edit 2: Just realised: What if you joined the ...s together? Then you get "I think lizards escape into houses." :D
cheers maus
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Joseph Krol wrote:and require a lot of equipment and stuff in their terraria/terrariums.
Vivariums.
cheers maus
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Thomas Carey wrote: Put what in my work? My draft so far is the bit from "I think lizards..." to "...escape into houses."

Edit: Oh right, you mean that pet show thing to not put in my work.

Edit 2: Just realised: What if you joined the ...s together? Then you get "I think lizards escape into houses." :D
Perhaps they do. Here are some possibilities of reactions for your work:

a) The houseowner is pissed off because it isn't their pet.
b) The houseowner rejoices because it is their pet which went missing and escaped from the pest control van into their house.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

They can occasionally bite, as Joseph said, so I'd recommend lizards for kids aged 8 and over.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Thanks guys, I am now printing it. Also Joseph may remember the "Weird Cards" that I made at primary school. In May I created a second set (They can be played with the first set), and I am printing them along with the homework.
cheers maus
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I got one that sits on my computer ..........it's a monitor
I did have one that died as i left it sitting on my Jackson Pollock print and it had a heart attack.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Marc Meakin wrote:I got one that sits on my computer ..........it's a monitor
I did have one that died as i left it sitting on my Jackson Pollock print and it had a heart attack.
I think you probably needed to specify 'chameleon' for that last joke? Either way it's oddly Meakin and oddly excellent to have you back. The Krols have changed everything.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Feed the Krols!!
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

Marc Meakin wrote:Feed the Krols!!
** LIKE **
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

But I have had enough food.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Joseph Krol wrote:
Yes, I'm not hungry either. Just had two large pancakes as it's PANCAKE DAY!!!!!!! ...Or Shrove Tuesday if you're posh. :roll:
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Joseph Krol wrote:Lizards should be kept as pets, because:
  • They can survive for 5 months without nourishment so ideal for holidaymakers.
However, they ...... require copious amounts of food.
Very interesting info Joseph - but I'm not sure how the statements above go together mate :?: :?
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

That's me assuming wikianswers is always true.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Soph K wrote:
Joseph Krol wrote:
Yes, I'm not hungry either. Just had two large pancakes as it's PANCAKE DAY!!!!!!! ...Or Shrove Tuesday if you're posh. :roll:
Shit, was I the only one who celebrated it 2 weeks ago :oops:
btw I like it how most topics in hot-topic go off topic
My favourite chocolate bar is a topic
And I just moved to Margate.
So who is offering me a lift to the next Co event lol
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Speaking of Co-events I haven't had a reply from Jeff about Colei4 for over a week now... Anyone received anything?
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Joseph Krol wrote:Speaking of Co-events I haven't had a reply from Jeff about Colei4 for over a week now... Anyone received anything?
Hmmmm.... try this. All of the "more info" is what I received back when it was first sent out in December.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:
Joseph Krol wrote:Speaking of Co-events I haven't had a reply from Jeff about Colei4 for over a week now... Anyone received anything?
Hmmmm.... try this. All of the "more info" is what I received back when it was first sent out in December.
Thanks for that. 10:00am start means a 7:30am sett-off time which means I might not be abe to come... will negotiate with my parents. :D