Apterous Tournament System

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Apterous Tournament System

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Good, but are we doing UK spelling or US spelling? If UK, we should be using Organisers and If there's only one person, why does the Apto Masters Qualy have "Organizers: Ben Wilson."?
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Apterous Tournament System

Post by Charlie Reams »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:Good, but are we doing UK spelling or US spelling? If UK, we should be using Organisers
Wrong.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:If UK, we should be using Organisers
IQ of 136.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

I thought this would be a topic of praise but apparently not. The feature is pretty damn cool.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Rhys Benjamin wrote:Good, but are we doing UK spelling or US spelling? If UK, we should be using Organisers
Wrong.
Right

Even my Mum (not Mom) says.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
Wrong.
Right

Your mum is wrong.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
Wrong.
Right

Actually Rhys in these sorts of words -ISE and -IZE are both equally acceptable in English. Page xv of ODE3 explains thusly: "Many verbs end with the suffix -ize or -ise. The form -ize has been in use in English since the 16th century, and, despite what some people think, is not an Americanism. The alternative form -ise is found more commonly in British than in American English. For most verbs of this class either -ize or -ise is acceptable; this dictionary has used -ize spellings, with -ise given as an equally correct, alternative spelling. For some words, however, -ise is obligatory: first, where it forms part of a larger word element, such as -mise (= sending) in compromise, and -prise (= taking) in surprise; and second, in verbs corresponding to nouns with -s- in the stem, such as advertise and televise."

The Introduction to ODE3 is well worth a read; it also has a section on which categories of mass noun can take a plural, explicitly mentioning that "The Oxford Dictionary of English is the official dictionary of the television word game Countdown, and the following list may be helpful for people who enjoy the programme" (p. xiii). By the way, CLOVERS (quite a controversial one on here) is one of the example (acceptable plural) words in this list.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Adam Gillard wrote:Image
Fucking pedant. Who gives a shit?
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Fucking pedant. Who gives a shit?
Oxford Dictionaries, Rhys Benjamin, Charlie Reams and me at the very least. You really should pay more attention before such a ridiculous response.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

What really surprises me more is why Rhys isn't questioning why apterous believes me to be more than one person. Fwiw, I concur with Ryan (closing sentence only, mind you).
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Adam Gillard wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:Fucking pedant. Who gives a shit?
Oxford Dictionaries, Rhys Benjamin, Charlie Reams and me at the very least. You really should pay more attention before such a ridiculous response.
Pretty sure Charlie didn't need anybody, especially you, to quote a dictionary, something that (I hazard a guess) Charlie knows quite a lot about. And if he did then he's a cock. Admittedly I was rude in my ridiculous response but your post really annoyed me.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Pretty sure Charlie didn't need anybody, especially you, to quote a dictionary, something that (I hazard a guess) Charlie knows quite a lot about. And if he did then he's a cock. Admittedly I was rude in my ridiculous response but your post really annoyed me.
Yet my annoying post still holds true - you're replying without paying attention to who said what about whom. I was concurring with Charlie and Ben (that Rhys had got it wrong), and was quoting the dictionary for Rhys' benefit as it deals neatly with his misconception (I too used to believe that -IZE is an Americanism). The very fact that a section of the dictionary is devoted to explaining this point shows that it is something that people care about and frankly it doesn't bother me that you, Ben or anyone else doesn't care about it - fast forward through Susie's Origins of Words and such like for all I care. Admittedly, the last part of my post (about plurals of mass nouns) was something I wanted Charlie to see, as there have been errors in the apterous dictionary in the past that are clarified in the introduction to this edition, which most people probably don't read.

I honestly don't understand how me quoting the dictionary for Rhys could annoy anyone but Rhys himself in this situation. Maybe if something like this arises again I'll send a PM to the person in question [joke] so you don't run through the streets of Hull proclaiming "burn the pedant" [/joke].
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Ryan, I get the feeling you're just trying to stir up trouble by constantly nit-picking at my posts; I hope I explained myself well enough above, but I don't know if I can be bothered justifying myself to you every time I post something on this forum.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
Wrong.
Right

Your parents are morons.

And Ryan's just annoyed because he's an anti-semite.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Adam Gillard wrote:Ryan, I get the feeling you're just trying to stir up trouble by constantly nit-picking at my posts; I hope I explained myself well enough above, but I don't know if I can be bothered justifying myself to you every time I post something on this forum.
You shouldn't have to justify yourself and yes I was trying to stir up trouble. I'm actually schizophrenic. Genuinely. Sorry Adam.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Ryan Taylor wrote:I'm actually schizophrenic. Genuinely. Sorry Adam.
Don't worry about it, all the best anti-semites are.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

I tried to use the "Tourney Creator" and got the following message: "Query failed in gen mode [], please report as a bug to charlie@apterous.org". Will PM you my application.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
Wrong.
Right

Take the Wason Test.