Should I go on the show?

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.

Should I go on the show?

Yes
35%
No
6%
Practise a bit more
53%
Watch a recording
6%
Other (please specify)
No votes

Total votes: 17

Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Should I go on the show?

Post by Joseph Krol »

Hi,
I'd like to see your opinion on whether I should go on the show or not. Ideally, I would like to become a finalist as an octo, but I doubt I'll become a series champ (that would be nice though). Are there any things I should do, like watch a recording etc.? Also, how far do you think I would get?
Last edited by Joseph Krol on Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Should I go on the show?

Post by Charlie Reams »

You're currently averaging 6.8 maxes per game, which is a little low for an aspiring octochamp. I used to suggest 10 as a good target, although that's probably a bit on the high side; 8 - 9 would probably be sensible now. That ignores other factors like how good you are at handling pressure, which only you would know.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

I would say practice a little bit more just so you can be more confident of achieving what you want to achieve. But you don't want to leave it too long otherwise the whole kind of wow factor will be reduced the older you get even though you are tiny. I would say give it 6 months then apply.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I would go in expecting nothing, remember there are 120? heats in a series, and maybe 6? octochamps on average, so the chances are quite high you'll run into an octochamp anyway and no matter how good you are you're probably going to lose. If you go in expecting to get to the finals you'll only regret it.

So I say, lower your expectations, then go on.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Maybe wait 7 months-ish. Don't think you should wait more than 22 months. If you're 12 or 13 when you go on it, people would be like they were with, say, Eoin Monaghan - like, "OMG! That Joseph's only 13 and he's won 5 games!", considering that you win at least 3 games which I think is fairly likely. Even if you don't win any games, you tried your best, you plucked up the courage to go on - which is not pointless, I would bet you £90 that there's more than 10 reasons why it wouldn't be pointless to go on Countdown and not win any games. Don't really wanna sway your boat too much. Just my opinion. By the way, remember on Monday 21st, while watching countdown you wrote down what you would score against Ned - and you would have beaten him, and Ned's won about 3 games or thereabouts. Just remember, (I don't wanna be soppy or anything) that we'd all be behind you. Have a think.
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Soph K wrote:I would bet you £90 that there's more than 10 reasons why it wouldn't be pointless to go on Countdown and not win any games.
I have 4 so far;

You wouldn't have to lug a teapot around with you on your way home.
You wouldn't need to bring a change of clothes.
You get to stare at Rachel close up.
You get to find out how small Jeff really is.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Mark James wrote:
Soph K wrote:I would bet you £90 that there's more than 10 reasons why it wouldn't be pointless to go on Countdown and not win any games.
I have 4 so far;

lol to the last 2 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Soph K wrote: lol to the last 2 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm devastated Sophie. I thought all four of them were funny.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Mark James wrote:
Soph K wrote: lol to the last 2 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm devastated Sophie. I thought all four of them were funny.
ok EDIT TO THE LAST POST I DID:
lol loads at last 2 and lol quite a lot at the first 2
BASICALLY, the last 2 were funnier even though the first 2 were funny too :lol:
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I always say wait until you're as good as you're going to be, whether that's because you couldn't get any better or because you've reached a level where you don't want to have to get more and more obsessive to get that extra bit of performance. There's nothing worse than losing on the show and then a few months down the line kicking everyone's arse on Apterous.
Dan McColm
Series 71 Champion

Post by Dan McColm »

You've got a fairly decent rating already. Give it 6 months or so and you'll be certain to win a few games!
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Gavin Chipper wrote:I always say wait until you're as good as you're going to be, whether that's because you couldn't get any better or because you've reached a level where you don't want to have to get more and more obsessive to get that extra bit of performance. There's nothing worse than losing on the show and then a few months down the line kicking everyone's arse on Apterous.
Just ask James Robinson
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Joseph Krol wrote:Hi,
I'd like to see your opinion on whether I should go on the show or not. Ideally, I would like to become a finalist as an octo, but I doubt I'll become a series champ (that would be nice though). Are there any things I should do, like watch a recording etc.? Also, how far do you think I would get?
You should go on the show, but the stupid form won't let me vote.

Yes, you should go on the show.
cheers maus
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Soph K wrote:By the way, remember on Monday 21st, while watching countdown you wrote down what you would score against Ned - and you would have beaten him, and Ned's won about 3 games or thereabouts.
Plus, on Tuesday 22nd, you did that again and said you'd beat Ned Pendleton by 12 points or something, if on the show against him. That's pretty good! There will probably be quite a few people about his level of goodness when (/if) you go on, and by then, you'd probably be even better and maybe be rated, say, 1505 then the likelihood would be that you won a few games.
P.S. Just a little question - are you allowed to go on Countdown more than once?
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Thomas Carey wrote:

Yeah it won't let me vote either; whenever I click one of the options, it just says 'Error Occured' blah blah blah... Annoying.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Mine's just workde now; but the posts look completely different. Maybe it didn't work because they were changing the look of the site.
cheers maus
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Soph K wrote:
Thomas Carey wrote:

Yeah it won't let me vote either; whenever I click one of the options, it just says 'Error Occured' blah blah blah... Annoying.
Mine's just workde now; but the posts look completely different. Maybe it didn't work because they were changing the look of the site.
cheers maus
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Ah voting works for me now too after the prosilver change. I voted "other" and I will now specify as requested: "Practise a bit more". I nearly voted for "Practice a bit more" but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Even now "Practise" has got that red squiggly error underline thingy, so I suppose Americans don't use that spelling or something.

I don't think it's necessary to watch a recording. If your first broadcast date is not a Monday, you'll have the opportunity to watch a recording before you sit in the hot seat yourself. If it is a Monday, you won't get that chance but it shouldn't be a problem as they explain everything to you and it really isn't that complicated.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Soph K wrote:
Soph K wrote:By the way, remember on Monday 21st, while watching countdown you wrote down what you would score against Ned - and you would have beaten him, and Ned's won about 3 games or thereabouts.
Plus, on Tuesday 22nd, you did that again and said you'd beat Ned Pendleton by 12 points or something, if on the show against him. That's pretty good! There will probably be quite a few people about his level of goodness when (/if) you go on, and by then, you'd probably be even better and maybe be rated, say, 1505 then the likelihood would be that you won a few games.
P.S. Just a little question - are you allowed to go on Countdown more than once?
I'm not entirely sure; but I don't think so unless it is later found out you would have won but you had a real word disalowed or something, but as I said I'm not entirely sure.
cheers maus
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Adam Gillard wrote:"Practise a bit more". I nearly voted for "Practice a bit more" but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Even now "Practise" has got that red squiggly error underline thingy, so I suppose Americans don't use that spelling or something.
PRACTISE is the correct spelling of the verb. The noun is PRACTICE (UK) or PRACTISE (US).
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Adam Gillard wrote:Ah voting works for me now too after the prosilver change. I voted "other" and I will now specify as requested: "Practise a bit more". I nearly voted for "Practice a bit more" but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Even now "Practise" has got that red squiggly error underline thingy, so I suppose Americans don't use that spelling or something.

I don't think it's necessary to watch a recording. If your first broadcast date is not a Monday, you'll have the opportunity to watch a recording before you sit in the hot seat yourself. If it is a Monday, you won't get that chance but it shouldn't be a problem as they explain everything to you and it really isn't that complicated.
Grammar Nazi.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Ryan Taylor wrote: Grammar Nazi.
Oh dear Ryan! Grammar is quite separate from spelling, which is what I commented on. Now I'm commenting on your semantics. I hope this is informative (and transparently condescending).
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Adam Gillard wrote:Now I'm commenting on your semantics.
Moar like semitics!
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Adam Gillard wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote: Grammar Nazi.
Oh dear Ryan! Grammar is quite separate from spelling, which is what I commented on. Now I'm commenting on your semantics. I hope this is informative (and transparently condescending).
I don't really care. I just wanted to use the word Nazi jew see.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Mark James wrote:
I have 4 so far;

Fifth one: Free water.
cheers maus
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Thomas Carey wrote:
Soph K wrote: Yeah it won't let me vote either; whenever I click one of the options, it just says 'Error Occured' blah blah blah... Annoying.
Yes; it is working now for me all the time since just after the site was changed slightly.
Keith Bennett
Acolyte

Post by Keith Bennett »

I've thought in the past that one or two talented young players went on the show a year or two too soon, and missed out on winning the series as a result. Andrew Perry was one if I remember correctly. In the last series Eoin was brilliant - but Jack was brilliant too and just that vital bit older, more experienced.

First or second year Uni would seem to me a good time for someone to go, when your brain's probably as sharp as it will ever be. (I would imagine for anyone at school or Uni it's better to go on a second-half of the year series, otherwise you could be practicing and recording in the run up to the spring/summer exams.) Not sure how old you are now JK, but I'd recommend leaving it to then.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Keith Bennett wrote:Not sure how old you are now JK, but I'd recommend leaving it to then.
He's 12, my big bro!!!!!!! BTW, if you ever wanted to know, he farts a lot. Ok, well, maybe not a lot. He does fart though. Well I suppose everyone does. I do love him, though, he is my brother. To be honest, he's a brilliant brother, but I wouldn't want to say that to loads of people! That's why I'm writing in size 25.