A question to challenge you .......

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
A Myers

A question to challenge you .......

Post by A Myers »

I've looked high and low, but can't find the answer to this question ....

In the programme where she wears this pink frock http://pages.google.com/edit/Ann.Myers. ... ;init:.jpg

Carol draws the letters VREECDIEN and I can't find anywhere what words the contestants made from it !

Anyone know?

Ann
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Re: A question to challenge you .......

Post by Howard Somerset »

Hi Ann. Can you narrow it down a bit, perhaps? Month, or year, maybe.
A Myers

Post by A Myers »

Thanks for your quick reply Howard.

I'm afraid I can't narrow it down much at all. I think it must be several years old because of how she looks, but I've really no idea.

Ann
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

I tried searching for words you can make from that selection (RECEIVED, EVIDENCE and so on) and nothing came up on the Countdown Wiki, which means this game probably hasn't been recapped anywhere. Unless someone out there has a phenomenal sartorial memory, you're going to have to tell us more. Do you know the names of the contestants? You must know something more, as it seems a very strange question on its own!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

It's not in any of our records, which go back to Series 49 (2003). So it must be before that. Can't give you anything more useful right now, apologies.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Charlie Reams wrote:It's not in any of our records, which go back to Series 49 (2003). So it must be before that. Can't give you anything more useful right now, apologies.
Hadn't worked out how to search the Corral, but I had searched the Wiki, this forum, and the old Yahoo group, all to no avail before I made my earlier reply.

edit - just checked the even older Yahoo group, and still no joy.
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

I have records back to Series 1, but its very much a needle in a haystack scenario without further info.

What i can say though, is that the dress she wears in that photo is one she still wears now, so its definitely not 2003 or earlier.

Are you really sure the photo relates to the selection - and if you don't mind me asking, why do you need to know what words the contestants (whoever they were) got?
A Myers

Post by A Myers »

Hi Damian

I don't mind you asking at all ! It's a question in a quiz, and it's driving me mad ! This is the quiz question:

http://pages.google.com/edit/Ann.Myers. ... ;init:.jpg and I managed to find the other photo somewhere on the net, but none of it really helps at all. No other details given whatsoever !

Thanks all for your searches anyway.

Ann
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

What a bizarre quiz, Ann - if the question is 'what words did the contestants get from these letters'.

Its very random.

Its definitely in part 3 of a show, judging by the height of the letters piles. I'd take a bet it's round 12 of a show.

Other than that, i can't really help you. I could check back through records etc and waste countless hours on it, but i'd really rather set fire to my own eyelids first.

Hope the quiz prize is a good one, it should be.

PS -having looked at it again, i'm not even sure its actually a round from a show. When Carol puts up the last letter, she always clears the shot and moves onto her seat off camera, that's right of screen. This looks like a pose, as though she's about to go screen left and get into the way of the letters, and the Wiki etc finds nothing. I can't be sure, but i suspect someone is fiddling around.
A Myers

Post by A Myers »

*rofl* I'm very impressed with your assessment of the stage of the game etc .... and I know what you mean about the eyelids - I'm just about at that stage already. I think I'll just use an anagrammer and make a wild guess !

Ann
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

my guess is that the champion had an 8 with 'received', and the challenger made a mistake, using a letter twice and thought they had 'pomegranite'.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Damian E wrote:and the challenger made a mistake, using a letter twice and thought they had 'pomegranite'.
And the challenger misspelt it as well. Oh dear!
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Dinos,
The irony went totally over your head then.
I knew someone would take the bait. Tsk, go to the back of the classroom. :shock:
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Damian E wrote:Dinos,
The irony went totally over your head then.
I knew someone would take the bait. Tsk, go to the back of the classroom. :shock:
Surely you want him at the front where he's not going to be tempted to chew the end of his pen, start tapping his pencil or start stroking the leg of his partner.