CV quits.

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
DaveC
Acolyte

CV quits.

Post by DaveC »

Ben Wilson
Legend

Re: CV quits.

Post by Ben Wilson »

DaveC wrote:Sounds like a job for the nebagram

DC
Piss off. :D
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Shit :( this beyond sucks. I'll try and stay chipper for CONOT tomorrow, emphasis on try.
James Hurrell
Acolyte

Post by James Hurrell »

6/1 odds for the end of the program? What odds on it carrying on? I'd put some money on that option.
alanpaterson1964

Post by alanpaterson1964 »

So what happens now - two very big announcements in the space of a couple of days - I have to say the news about Desso wasn't much of a surprise - he's never truly looked comfortable in the role. I've noticed aswell that Carol is taking a much more active role in the show in recent times - so her decision to quit is quite a shock So we're no looking for two people to keep the show going. I stick by my earlier post - either Gyles Brandreth or Tom O'Connor to host - I know Michael Aspel has also been mentioned - but I don't think this would work. As for the numbers - ????? - Maybe Carol could fulfil both roles???
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Its like your kids leaving home. You know its gonna happen one day but you cant quite believe it when it does.

If Susie leaves as well I might take my own life.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
pat walls

Post by pat walls »

What a shock to hear that Carol is to leave Countdown. We have been avid viewers ot the programme for some years and found Carol to be funny, witty and intelligent - the one constant during this time. Obviously this does not count for much in the Channel 4 boardroom. Another nail in your coffin, I fear.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

pat walls wrote:Another nail in your coffin, I fear.
Channel 4 is the only major channel that is actually doing better against the general trend of TV viewing figures. And that's partly because of belt-tightening on shows like Countdown.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

James Hurrell wrote:6/1 odds for the end of the program? What odds on it carrying on? I'd put some money on that option.
Two horse race, so the best you'd be likely to see would be 1/8 (and 1/12 would be more realistic). Unless you've got a lot of money to stake, not really worth bothering with.
Gerald

Post by Gerald »

Charlie Reams wrote:
pat walls wrote:Another nail in your coffin, I fear.
Channel 4 is the only major channel that is actually doing better against the general trend of TV viewing figures. And that's partly because of belt-tightening on shows like Countdown.
Charlie, your comment almost makes it sound like you agree with the economics of Carol being
ditched. Who's side are you on?

For what it's worth I think the way Carol has been treated is disgusting. That's where loyalty gets you on Channel 4 it seems!

Gerald.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Being a masochist, I decided to see what the esteemed writers and readers of the Daily Mail were saying about this today and - as ever - I wasn't disappointed!

This article has generated some fantastically nonsensical comments from the readers, both pro and con (apparently, Carol's beaten every single contestant that's ever been on the show - thanks, Sandy from London, for that one!)

However, the real vitriolic gold is to be found in the comments to this one. My personal highlights were the use of the terms "grasping hag" and "awful harridan", plus Kay from Cheltenham's apropos-of-nothing slagging of Richard Madeley.

I'm surprised none of them wanted her dragged outside and horsewhipped (but maybe someone'll suggest that tomorrow).
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gerald wrote: Charlie, your comment almost makes it sound like you agree with the economics of Carol being
ditched. Who's side are you on?

For what it's worth I think the way Carol has been treated is disgusting. That's where loyalty gets you on Channel 4 it seems!
I'm not anyone's "side", this isn't a war. I don't think that Carol has been treated well in this situation, but it's silly to say that losing her is a "nail in Channel 4's coffin" when Channel 4 is being (relatively) successful, mainly on the back of shows that the readers of this forum tend not to like. Have a little perspective.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

jimbentley wrote:apropos-of-nothing slagging of Richard Madeley.
A slagging of Richard Madeley is never "apropos-of-nothing" since it is always permanently festering in the hearts of all sane people.