Spoilers For Wednesday January 19th 2011

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Wednesday January 19th 2011

Post by James Robinson »

So, Adam was given a tough test yesterday, but he passed with flying colours, and now has 5 wins, 5 centuries, 5 conundrums and 560 points. 8-)

Will it be 6 of the best today, or will he fall flat on 5 :?:

Join me for the Robinson Recap later. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Dan McColm
Series 71 Champion

Re: Spoilers For Wednesday January 19th 2011

Post by Dan McColm »

Very nice performance, Adam, well done.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

TONNEAU as a beater in one of the rounds?
Dan McColm
Series 71 Champion

Post by Dan McColm »

VIBRIOS in the IVORIES round
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Gavin Chipper wrote:TONNEAU as a beater in one of the rounds?
Anything posted in a spoilers thread with a fucking question mark should be banned, surely you can see that?
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

The problem with the Spoilers thread is that there are no real spoilers in it.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:TONNEAU as a beater in one of the rounds?
Anything posted in a spoilers thread with a fucking question mark should be banned, surely you can see that?
I don't have the round to hand?

But anyway, TONNEAU was definitely a beater in one of the rounds. I'd bet my life on it. I'm surprised no-one else has posted it. It clearly means that I'm the only person in the whole country that got it!

Good enough?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Anyway, I've just checked the Wiki and the game isn't up and as James Robinson puts it up as it happens, we clearly all imagined this game. (Explains the low number of posts.) On the plus side, Martin Gardner's article has finally made it to being the featured article. I've been checking every day for months in the hope that he would make it.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Anyway, I've just checked the Wiki and the game isn't up and as James Robinson puts it up as it happens, we clearly all imagined this game. (Explains the low number of posts.) On the plus side, Martin Gardner's article has finally made it to being the featured article. I've been checking every day for months in the hope that he would make it.
It's been there since September - I want it changed.
Josh Hurst
Enthusiast

Post by Josh Hurst »

I just took a well needed revision break to watch this episode. What an awesome show. Three tricky nines, plus deposable, which is in the SOED6 (The one that winning contestants receive in their goody bag. It comes in two parts, and despite the name it contains more words than the one used on the show). I guess Adam was probably picking for AGRESTIC in round 9? But if he'd have picked a consonant, he could've had GUITARS+S? Nice spot with VERMINATE Adam, and unlucky with UNDERLAIN.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:Anyway, I've just checked the Wiki and the game isn't up and as James Robinson puts it up as it happens, we clearly all imagined this game. (Explains the low number of posts.) On the plus side, Martin Gardner's article has finally made it to being the featured article. I've been checking every day for months in the hope that he would make it.
I know. How is it changed? Can you do it?
Dan McColm
Series 71 Champion

Post by Dan McColm »

Josh Hurst wrote:I just took a well needed revision break to watch this episode. What an awesome show. Three tricky nines, plus deposable, which is in the SOED6 (The one that winning contestants receive in their goody bag. It comes in two parts, and despite the name it contains more words than the one used on the show). I guess Adam was probably picking for AGRESTIC in round 9? But if he'd have picked a consonant, he could've had GUITARS+S? Nice spot with VERMINATE Adam, and unlucky with UNDERLAIN.
Was just thinking that. UNDERLAIN woulda been great, I think Adam would've risked that had that not been the first round.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Rhys Benjamin wrote:
I know. How is it changed? Can you do it?
No, an admin has to do it; these are Charlie, Ben, Stewart, Howard, Martin, Jon Corby, Crispy, but... frankly, Crispy looks after front page stuff and generally he's only on for 2 months in the summer. Howard (the backup) is on a detox from the wiki.

How?

http://wiki.apterous.org/Template:Featuredarticle
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

One VERY hastily put-together recap from me :|
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:
One VERY hastily put-together recap from me :|
You lot are a very impatient bunch. :roll:

ASSONATE in round 11 and PEDALOES in round 12 as alternatives.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Dan McColm wrote:
Josh Hurst wrote:I just took a well needed revision break to watch this episode. What an awesome show. Three tricky nines, plus deposable, which is in the SOED6 (The one that winning contestants receive in their goody bag. It comes in two parts, and despite the name it contains more words than the one used on the show). I guess Adam was probably picking for AGRESTIC in round 9? But if he'd have picked a consonant, he could've had GUITARS+S? Nice spot with VERMINATE Adam, and unlucky with UNDERLAIN.
Was just thinking that. UNDERLAIN woulda been great, I think Adam would've risked that had that not been the first round.
Thanks Josh. I probably was thinking of AGRESTIC in R9; can't remember. I was willing the R to come out for VERMINATE; that's why I had it immediately and had a good ol' sip of water just a few seconds into the round.

Dan, I decided to leave UNDERLAIN in the first round because Cheryl declared 6, so I thought it prudent to stick with the safe 8 and ensure an early lead.

As for GEOMETRID, I've learned my lesson!
Andy McGurn
Enthusiast

Post by Andy McGurn »

Adam would've beaten me on a crucial here. Thing is though, I'd never heard of VERMINATE and it was only when i saw him sitting back and sipping water that I knew there had to be a nine so i put the letters together and came up with something to say and this was VERMINATE

Maybe its better to keep writing and pretending to still be looking otherwise your opponent may get lucky like this.
Dan McColm
Series 71 Champion

Post by Dan McColm »

Andy McGurn wrote:Adam would've beaten me on a crucial here. Thing is though, I'd never heard of VERMINATE and it was only when i saw him sitting back and sipping water that I knew there had to be a nine so i put the letters together and came up with something to say and this was VERMINATE

Maybe its better to keep writing and pretending to still be looking otherwise your opponent may get lucky like this.
Adam was miles ahead at that point, so it wouldn't have mattered if Cheryl found the 9.