Spoilers For Thursday April 25th 2013

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Thursday April 25th 2013

Post by James Robinson »

Well, after the magnificence of yesterday's game, it's such a shame that Countdown is being curtailed by the horses this week............ :(

Eileen Taylor, after 22 years of waiting, finally managed to get her first win in the studio yesterday in a thrilling match against Jill Hayward. But, can she give us another good performance today I wonder :?: :?

I'm heading out today, as you might've read in my recap yesterday, so I'm leaving today's recap in the more than capable hands of Andy Platt, so you can join him later for that. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Re: Spoilers For Thursday April 25th 2013

Post by Jordan F »

I might have toyed with going with PORQUOI, is it valid in the OED or strictly French?
szodiac
Enthusiast

Post by szodiac »

Jordan F wrote:I might have toyed with going with PORQUOI, is it valid in the OED or strictly French?
It's with a U: POURQUOI :-)

Mauro
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Annoying watching the show, cos I've got some people installing solar panels on our roof, so the signal disruption was more than evident :!: :( :cry:

So, after a bit of 4OD-ing, I managed to watch it in the end. Probably 2 of the trickiest 1 larges in recent time in Numbers rounds 2 & 3 :!: :!: :shock: :shock:

MISERY in round 5, TALONED in round 10, POROUS in round 11, REFINED in round 12 and LUXATES in round 13.

Interesting that as I went to my audition, the first song that came on my car radio was "Come on Eileen" :!: :shock: :P :lol:
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Onwards and upwards for Eileen. Nothing we didn't really expect, but I thought when Paul buzzed for the conundrum that he'd got it.

He took a fairly long time giving his answer though! Wonder what Corby is going to make of that :P
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

PAINEDER in R12. :lol:
Guy Barry
Acolyte

Post by Guy Barry »

Any idea why it took Rachel so long to come up with the solution to round 3? I had ((75+6) * (2+5+1)) - 5, slightly different from hers, but it didn't strike me as anything out of the ordinary.

Similarly I'm puzzled how DC managed to come up with the relatively obscure REPINED in round 12 while missing the obvious REFINED. When the "experts" miss stuff like this I always assume I'm the one who's wrong :?
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Haha Graeme, you bellend.

Guy, same method for me, in about 15-20 seconds, but it's easier at home. And weirdly I thought the same about REPINED, as I had RIPENED.
Either way I think it was just them being selective and Susie choosing the one she found most poetic - they probably had a few alternatives.