Thursday 13th December 2012 (Series 67, 2nd QF)

Round-by-round summaries of every game in recent series; for every series in the last 5 years, try cdb, the Countdown database. Obviously this forum contains spoilers!

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Thursday 13th December 2012 (Series 67, 2nd QF)

Post by James Robinson »

So, before Countdown takes a mini-break thanks to the galloping of some horses in Gloucestershire, we have the small matter of the 2nd quarter-final of Series 67 to sort out, and after yesterday's brilliant starter, let's munch our way towards the fish course. :P

Enjoy. ;) :) :D

Countdown recap for Thursday 13 December 2012.

C1: No.7 Seed Chris "The Brighouse Bomber" Marshall (8 wins, 682 points.) An Apteforumite and (more importantly :D ) Huddersfield Town fan from Brighouse, West Yorkshire.
C2: No.2 Seed David "The Ross-On-Wye 'Recking Ball" Barnard (8 wins, 771 points.) An Apteforumite from Ross-On-Wye, Herefordshire.
DC: Susie Dent and Dave Spikey.
RR: Rachel Riley.
OT: Other words or solutions.

R01: T Y S E O I D U H
R02: S R S N A I E T A
R03: P S D I O U T E N
R04: C G N L O A E S A
R05: 100, 50, 25, 8, 5, 2. Target: 479.
TTT: CIDERTIN - "You won't be allowed to score from this sort of kick"
R06: L T S P E A O D I
R07: B V M E A U T E R
R08: W L N G O A E N J
R09: R P S O E A T I R
R10: 75, 6, 3, 9, 8, 10. Target: 219.
TTT: IEATMINT - "Eat a mint to freshen breath, before getting this"
R11: M W C A E I T A C
R12: M R C V S E I U O
R13: X L F E O I R A D
R14: 25, 4, 1, 10, 8, 3. Target: 315.
R15: P I E R C E N E T (conundrum)

And now a brief interlude before our main feature:

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Enjoy the show.

Round 1: T Y S E O I D U H

C1: OUTSIDE (7)
C2: OUTSIDE (7)
DC: HIDEOUS (7) TEDIOUS (7) HOISTED (7)
OT: HIDEOUTS (8)
Score: 7–7 (max 8)

Plenty of 7's in this one, but there was a darrenic 8, appropriately still in its HIDEOUT. :P

Round 2: S R S N A I E T A

C1: STRAINS (7)
C2: STAINERS (8)
DC: ARTINESS (8)
OT: ANTISERA (8) ARTESIAN (8) ARTISANS (8) RETSINAS (8) SANTERIA (8) SATANISE (8) TSARINAS (8)
Score: 7–15 (max 16)

Plenty of 8's in this one, but it's to David's advantage, as Chris can't find one. (Hands up how many others thought ARTESIANS was fine............ :roll: :oops: )

SANTERIA is a religion merging the worship of Yoruba deities with veneration of Roman Catholic saints practised in Cuba and spread to other parts of the Caribbean and to the U.S. by Cuban émigrés.

Round 3: P S D I O U T E N

C1: DISPUTE (7)
C2: OUTSIDE (7)
DC: DEPOSIT (7) TEDIOUS (7) SPOUTED (7)
OT: OUTSPEND (8) POUTINES (8)
Score: 14–22 (max 24)

David goes OUTSIDE again (weird bit from Dave when he said "we had that a couple of days ago", when it was actually a couple of rounds ago!! :P ), but there are a couple of good 8's left alone again.

A POUTINE is a dish consisting of French fries topped with fresh cheese curds, covered with brown gravy and sometimes additional ingredients.

Round 4: C G N L O A E S A

C1: ANGLES (6)
C2: CONGEALS (8)
DC: LASAGNE (7)
Score: 14–30 (max 32)

David goes 8 yet again as he doubles his advantage over Chris, while DC munch on their LASAGNE, whose origins come from the Italian for............. "chamber pot". :P

Round 5: 100, 50, 25, 8, 5, 2. Target: 479.

C1: 479. (100 x 5) - 25 + (8 / 2) (10)
C2: 479. (100 x 5) - 25 + (8 / 2) (10)
Score: 24–40 (max 42)

Not the tricky 3 large that Chris was hoping for, but if he can keep up with David, then we could still be on for a close match.

Dave talks about songs with odd lyrics such as Vanessa Williams' "Save The Best For Last", which had the line "sometimes the Sun goes round the Moon". :P

Teatime teaser: CIDERTIN -> INDIRECT

Round 6: L T S P E A O D I

C1: DOPIEST (7)
C2: DIOPTASE (8)
DC: ISOLATED (8) TADPOLES (8)
OT: DIASTOLE (8) ELASIPOD (8) SODALITE (8)
Score: 24–48 (max 50)

Oh dear, another plethora of 8's elude Chris, letting David go in for the jugular.

DIASTOLE is the normal rhythmical dilatation of the heart during which the chambers are filling with blood.
SODALITE is a mineral, sodium aluminum silicate, Na4Al3Si3O12Cl, found in silica-poor igneous rocks.

Round 7: B V M E A U T E R

C1: MAUVER (6)
C2: BERATE (6)
DC: BEAVER (6) BEAUT (5)
OT: BEAUTER (7)
Score: 30–54 (max 57)

Not much joy in this one with no 8's available for the first time today. There is one slightly odd 7 there though........... :roll:

Round 8: W L N G O A E N J

C1: JANGLE (6)
C2: GALJOEN (7)
DC: NONAGE (6)
Score: 30–61 (max 64)

Another killer darren from David there. He looks in control now. :)

Round 9: R P S O E A T I R

C1: PRORATES (8)
C2: PASTORIE (8)
DC: PRIORATES (18)
Score: 38–69 (max 82)

Chris almost looked agonised declaring his 8, maybe he thought that David was going to go 9, but actually, it was him who was very close with the available 9 here, as he just needed to stick the I in his PRORATES, and then it would've definitely been game on :!: :!: :shock: :o 8-)

Susie's Origins Of Words talks about the origins of words that have changed their meanings from when they were first included in the dictionary, such as "mugger" actually meaning a person who sold mugs. 8-)

Round 10: 75, 6, 3, 9, 8, 10. Target: 219.

C1: 219. (75 x 3) - 6 (10)
C2: 219. (75 x 3) - 6 (10)
Score: 48–79 (max 92)

No 4 larges from David yet today, but when he has a strong lead like he has, there's no need to show off yet. :)

Teatime teaser: IEATMINT -> INTIMATE

Round 11: M W C A E I T A C

C1: MACAW (5)
C2: AWAIT (5)
DC: emaciate acetic
OT: AMICE (5) CACTI (5) CAECA (5) MATAI (5) METIC (5) TWICE (5)
Score: 53–84 (max 97)

A very nasty bunch here with just a handful of 5's available. :(

An AMICE is an oblong vestment, usually of white linen, worn about the neck and shoulders and partly under the alb.
A CAECUM (plural CAECA) is a cul-de-sac, especially that in which the large intestine begins.
A MATAI (or BLACK PINE) is a coniferous evergreen tree of New Zealand, Podocarpus spicatus, having a bluish bark and small linear leaves arranged in two rows.
A METIC is an alien resident of an ancient Greek city who paid a tax for the right to live there.

Round 12: M R C V S E I U O

C1: MOVIES (6)
C2: MOUSIER (7)
DC: MOVERS (6)
OT: CURSIVE (7) MURICES (7) VERISMO (7) VOICERS (7)
Score: 53–91 (max 104)

David's MOUSIER 7 means that he is just a hair's breadth from a place in the semi-finals.

CURSIVE is an adjective meaning in flowing strokes resembling handwriting.
A MUREX (plural MUREXES or MURICES) is any marine gastropod of the genus Murex, common in tropical seas, certain species of which yield the royal purple dye valued by the ancients.
VERISMO is the use of everyday life and actions in artistic works: introduced into opera in the early 1900s in reaction to contemporary conventions, which were seen as artificial and untruthful.

Round 13: X L F E O I R A D

C1: relaxed
C2: EXORDIA (7)
DC: EXORDIAL (8)
Score: 53–98 (max 112)

But the game is over now, thanks to his 7, which he could have extended a tad to make it a darrenic 8. 8-)

Round 14: 25, 4, 1, 10, 8, 3. Target: 315.

C1: 315. (((4 x 3) + 1) x 25) - 10 (10)
C2: 315. ((4 + 8 + 1) x 25) - 10 (10)
Score: 63–108 (max 122)

Plenty of different ways to get this numbers, which brings up David's century, and if he can get the conundrum, he'll top Heather Styles' 114 to have the highest score of the series. 8-)

Round 15: P I E R C E N E T

C1 buzzes on 11.5 seconds to say RECIPIENT which is incorrect.
C2 does not buzz.
The answer was EPICENTRE.
Final Score: 63–108 (max 132)

But it's Chris who buzzes in first, but alas, he comes up with the wrong answer, although in a weird coincidence, he has a done a reverse Keith Bush. But, David can't find the answer in the remaining time, and "no-one" in the audience has got it either........ :roll:

So, a convincing win in the end for David, and he can now relax for a week before his semi-final against either the No.3 Seed Heather "The Sevenoaks Sizzler" Styles and the No.6 Seed Tia "The Bristol Brainbox" Corkish, which will take place on Monday, and Graeme will be your guide for that one.

I'll be back for the first semi-final next Wednesday, when Paul James will take on the winner of Tuesday's quarter-final between Liam Shaw and Rose Boyle.

Have a good weekend everyone. Till next week, bye bye. ;) :) :D

Statistics Corner

Chris:
Total score - 63
Raw score - 95
Total % of max - 48
Raw % of max - 72
Total average score per round - 4.2
Raw average score per round - 6.3
Number of maxes - 4

David:
Total score - 108
Raw score - 108
Total % of max - 82
Raw % of max - 82
Total average score per round - 7.2
Raw average score per round - 7.2
Number of maxes - 9

Further summaries are at:
http://www.apterous.org/cdb/series.php?series=67
Last edited by James Robinson on Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Chris Marshall
Acolyte

Re: Thursday 13th December 2012 (Series 67, 2nd QF)

Post by Chris Marshall »

James Robinson wrote:So, before Countdown takes a mini-break thanks to the galloping of some horses in Gloucestershire, we have the small matter of the 2nd quarter-final of Series 67 to sort out, and after yesterday's brilliant starter, let's munch our way towards the fish course. :P

Enjoy. ;) :) :D

Countdown recap for Thursday 13 December 2012.

C1: No.7 Seed Chris "The Brighouse Bomber" Marshall (8 wins, 682 points.) An Apteforumite and (more importantly :D ) Huddersfield Town from Brighouse, West Yorkshire.

Round 9: R P S O E A T I R

C1: PRORATES (8)
C2: PASTORIE (8)
DC: PRIORATES (18)
Score: 38–69 (max 82)

Chris almost looked agonised declaring his 8, maybe he thought that David was going to go 9, but actually, it was him who was very close with the available 9 here, as he just needed to stick the I in his PRORATES, and then it would've definitely been game on :!: :!: :shock: :o 8-)
I'm a Town?! :)

It was an agonised look as I needed a 9. Almost as agonising as my 6th game when I realised there was another letters round before R13 having lost most of the other ones! My relaxed look didn't really come across on tv in R13. I'd have gone for DARIOLE if I'd known that!

Great recap. Ta.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Chris Marshall wrote:
James Robinson wrote:C1: No.7 Seed Chris "The Brighouse Bomber" Marshall (8 wins, 682 points.) An Apteforumite and (more importantly :D ) Huddersfield Town from Brighouse, West Yorkshire.
I'm a Town?! :)

It was an agonised look as I needed a 9. Almost as agonising as my 6th game when I realised there was another letters round before R13 having lost most of the other ones! My relaxed look didn't really come across on tv in R13. I'd have gone for DARIOLE if I'd known that!

Great recap. Ta.
Lol, nice to know that people do still read my recaps for errors. :D
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

James Robinson wrote:Lol, nice to know that people do still read my recaps for errors. :D
Talking of which, just noticed that PETALOID (along with PETALINE and PETALLED) aren't ODE3-compatible. :)
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Mike Brown wrote:
James Robinson wrote:Lol, nice to know that people do still read my recaps for errors. :D
Talking of which, just noticed that PETALOID (along with PETALINE and PETALLED) aren't ODE3-compatible. :)
Can you put that into Lehman's terms, please :?: :P
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

James Robinson wrote:
Mike Brown wrote:
Can you put that into Lehman's terms, please :?: :P
Not sure if it's my turn to not 'get it', but basically just pointing out that the OT word PETALOID in Round 6 is no longer valid.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

James Robinson wrote:SODALITE is a mineral, sodium aluminum silicate, Na4Al3Si3O12Cl, occurring massive and in crystals
What does "occurring massive and in crystals" mean?
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
James Robinson wrote:SODALITE is a mineral, sodium aluminum silicate, Na4Al3Si3O12Cl, occurring massive and in crystals
What does "occurring massive and in crystals" mean?
*LIKE*
And I'm pleased that I've managed to reawaken this post! :)