Spoilers For Monday June 11th 2012

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Monday June 11th 2012

Post by James Robinson »

So, we're now just 10 days away from the start of the Series 66 finals, and while this series' best bits have really been nearer the start of the series, we might be able to pull a cracker or 2 near the end, if results go "our way". ;)

As I'm sure you don't need reminding, our current half-octochamp is Ben "2 x 59's" Nicholson, who has somehow managed to win 4 shows, despite winning with 2 scores of 59........... :? , and amazingly, a win today will pretty much guarantee him a spot in the finals, but he's gonna be in for a rough ride methinks............

Because his opponent is none other than the Apterite and occasional c4cer, Jonathan Rawlinson, who if luck goes his way, could even become only the 3rd person in Countdown history (after Gareth Williams in Series 23 and Bhavin Manek in Series 36) to win the last 8 shows of the series, and then come back for the finals on the next show, or in plain English, be on 9 (that's NINE :!: :!: ) consecutive shows. 8-)

But am I jumping the gun here, maybe........... :?:

In Dictionary Corner, making her debut this week, is an businesswoman, TV presenter and entrepreneur, famous for being the runner-up in the first series of The Apprentice, back in 2005, it's Saira Khan.

Join Jack later, so he can eye up his possible competition. ;) :) :D
Innis Carson
Devotee

Re: Spoilers For Monday June 11th 2012

Post by Innis Carson »

Great debut Jon, well played.

Also, to mark the one-year anniversary of the passing of the great Ralph Gillions, I must tell you what a lovely smile you have.
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

Well done Jonathan on a very good first win.

R 11 - DOORWAY for a DC beater.
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

If Jonathan had got DOORWAY, he'd have had a max game! Very unlucky there although I'm surprised you missed PARODY.

Other than that, a fantastic debut! Very composed with some lovely spots. Looking forward to tomorrow.

TRIAGED in round 3 and FARINA in round 8.
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Post by Jordan F »

Not only did Jon get a good win, he also just became Rob Gibney's best friend, he secures his spot in the finals because of Jonathan's win.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Jesus, 14 max game in debut? Sick man. DREADFUL was a beautiful spot and ARONIA too.
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

When Jonathan told me he was on today, I knew I was in for a treat. I almost paced him, losing by 5 in the end.
Anyway great play "the kid"!

Equaller in R1 was HOMIEST and I had HOORAY in R11 later beaten by DOORWAY. Did the second numbers by 450-61.
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Tony Atkins wrote:When Jonathan told me he was on today, I knew I was in for a treat. I almost paced him, losing by 5 in the end.
Anyway great play "the kid"!
Yeah, phenomenal, matched him in most rounds, although he beat me with ARONIA and DREADFUL, although I got back in with HOORAY in round 11, but needed the conundrum to beat him.

But, a 14-MAXER on debut is MEGA AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

We'd appreciate that calibre at COHUD, not that we haven't got it already. ;) :) :D
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Well played Jon. Great debut. I hope you're still playing when I recap next Monday's show, which you will be if you keep playing like that. I think the last person to get 14 maxes was this chap.
Chris Marshall
Acolyte

Post by Chris Marshall »

VWP Jonathan. 6 months practise really helped your game!

So is that the lowest total by a 4 time champ in the 15 round era?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

James Robinson wrote:Because his opponent is none other than the Apterite and occasional c4cer, Jonathan Rawlinson, who if luck goes his way, could even become only the 3rd person in Countdown history (after Gareth Williams in Series 23 and Bhavin Manek in Series 36) to win the last 8 shows of the series, and then come back for the finals on the next show, or in plain English, be on 9 (that's NINE :!: :!: ) consecutive shows. 8-)
Back in the days when draws meant that you came back the next day, you could be on 9 consecutive shows for that reason. Ten for Lew Schwarz!