Advert

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Kirk Bevins
God

Advert

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: Advert

Post by Matt Morrison »

An episode of (the utterly awesome) Aqua Teen Hunger Force had a scene where a piss-taking witch doctor made the main characters read over and over from a sheet that was supposed to be an incantation:
"I AM SOFA KING WE TODD ED"

Clips of the show in question aren't on YouTube but you can see many fan-made tributes such as this (though this one gets the words slightly wrong):

... and then the audio of the clip was used in the DangerDoom album - a collaboration between producer Dangermouse and rapper MF DOOM which sampled a helluva lot of [adult swim] cartoons, including others like Harvey Birdman: Attorney At Law, Space Ghost Coast to Coast, and Sealab 2021. The track, Sofa King, features the audio in part at the front and then in full at the end.

Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

The ruling seems harsh to me, it's just a bit of fun - Sofa King is a perfectly reasonable name, describing prices as "[brand name] Low" is reasonable, and it's not like anybody's going to learn the profanity or anything from the slogan.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Does anyone remember the advert that was on years ago that said "This really is the dogs' best score"? Obviously not in the same league, but it's obviously trying to get your mind going in a certain direction. I can't remember what it was an advert for or what the dogs were scoring points for.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

I always thought the Meltus ads with Johnny Vegas were clever in that the strapline sounds like a profanity while actually being entirely inoffensive.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Is fcuk allowed to advertise?