Spoilers For Tuesday October 18th 2011

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Tuesday October 18th 2011

Post by James Robinson »

So, we are denied our 6th octochamp of the series, but on the plus side, Jayne Wisniewski has been guaranteed her place in the finals (not that it was ever in any doubt) and barring a mahor miracle, I would expect Nikki to be there too.

Now, back to today and Anne Haley is our new champ, whether or not she was the 3-time winner from 13 years ago or not, we'll probably never know, but either way, she's the champ and will be hoping to get further along after he impressive debut (or is that "debut") yesterday. Can she continue where she left off :?:

Join Liam much, much later on......... ;) :) :D
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Re: Spoilers For Tuesday October 18th 2011

Post by Jordan F »

Perhaps the only time I can say I've gotten a DC beater, even though who knows if there's better:

CHAISE in the CHAOS round.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

There was CHAISE in round 8 which DC missed

Edit: Dammit Jordan.
Second edit: was there an 8 in round 13? I had loads of sevens, the nicest of which was RELAXIN.

Good game today, excellent standard for non-aptos. I needed LEGATIONS to outscore them as I was otherwise a bit pants there. Also, thought the guy might had bottled the victory when he only had 6 in rd 13 and was still writing after 25 sec in the numbers.
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Very good contest between two good contestants. Must be close to a record for the most identical words/numbers solutions in one show.

I got LEGATIONS but otherwise had a shocker. I even missed the first numbers game, and the numbers is usually my biggest strength! :oops:

Edit: Andy, Tom actually is an apterite, although he's not a regular and he's called Thomas Brooks on apterous.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Ah ta. Didn't get onto that!
Tracey Lilly
Rookie

Post by Tracey Lilly »

Close game - would like to have seen Anne go on for a bit longer - she looked very promising but well done to Tom.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Agreed, both players could definitely octochamp against, say, Carl Williams's opponents.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

What were the scores? I missed it and cba waiting 78 days for the recap.
cheers maus
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Thomas Carey wrote:What were the scores? I missed it and cba waiting 78 days for the recap.
Anne came back on a 3 sec conundrum to end with 90, a point behind Tom's 91.

For some reason I made 27 and subtracted 25 to make the 2 in the first numbers, missing the obvious. Alt method
on the second is to make 85 x 9.
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

A shame Anne lost as I was expecting her to morph into Dr Phil Hammond by the end of the week!
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Tony Atkins wrote:
Thomas Carey wrote:What were the scores? I missed it and cba waiting 78 days for the recap.
Anne came back on a 3 sec conundrum to end with 90, a point behind Tom's 91.

For some reason I made 27 and subtracted 25 to make the 2 in the first numbers, missing the obvious. Alt method
on the second is to make 85 x 9.
Ah, thanks Tony. Unlucky Anne!
cheers maus
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

When I finally caught up with this game, for the first time in ages I watched the introductions, hoping for a clue on the possible relationship between the only two Haleys ever to appear on the show. The 2011 Anne was being sponsored in aid of breast cancer research according to how many rounds she won (the record number of duplicate words in Tuesday's game won't have helped that). So for anyone desperate to appear on the show again, maybe this inidicates a way forward.
Jack Worsley wrote:Must be close to a record for the most identical words/numbers solutions in one show.
Looking at letters rounds only, as equivalence of numbers solutions is a bit controversial, I believe it is a record. The only games to equal the 8 out of 11 matches are Cummins/Shore and Gallen/Travers, both in COC12.

Not surprisingly, in 9-rounders a higher ratio has been achieved a few times. A perfect 6 out of 6 has been seen twice, in the 18th birthday special and in a Supreme Championship game between Clive Freedman and Evan Simpson. The 7 games with 5 out of 6 matches include 4 regular preliminary games and, curiously, both semi-finals of Series 43.