COGST Game 10 - Richard Priest vs Kirk Bevins

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Kirk Bevins
God

COGST Game 10 - Richard Priest vs Kirk Bevins

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Re: COGST Game 10 - Richard Priest vs Kirk Bevins

Post by Martin Gardner »

This is a very odd score, I can only think that Richard with his total inexperience on Apterous made a meal of it, he usually scores a lot better than that.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Martin Gardner wrote:This is a very odd score, I can only think that Richard with his total inexperience on Apterous made a meal of it, he usually scores a lot better than that.
I think he'll reply and explain more but I think he did have 548 but mistyped and did have UNFIRED in one round but didn't type it in quick enough, but I think he might still have come second.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

How do we link games from the countdown wiki COGST page to these reviews? I see there are only two links from games played.
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Yes I was going to say Kirk - was this Rich's first / almost first ever game on Apterous? Bit cruel if that's the case - though looking at previous messages, I guess he did volunteer to play on Apterous. Should have taken Charlie's advice, Rich :)

Still, good stuff Kirk, kids bugging you about Countdown obviously hasn't affected your form - BACTERIA was a great spot, in particular
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Julian Fell wrote:Yes I was going to say Kirk - was this Rich's first / almost first ever game on Apterous? Bit cruel if that's the case - though looking at previous messages, I guess he did volunteer to play on Apterous. Should have taken Charlie's advice, Rich :)

Still, good stuff Kirk, kids bugging you about Countdown obviously hasn't affected your form - BACTERIA was a great spot, in particular
I didn't realise he was inexperienced. He logged on msn and told me that he was on apterous and we should play there. If it was your first game on apterous, do you want a rerun on msn Richard?
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Julian Fell wrote:Yes I was going to say Kirk - was this Rich's first / almost first ever game on Apterous? Bit cruel if that's the case - though looking at previous messages, I guess he did volunteer to play on Apterous. Should have taken Charlie's advice, Rich :)

I didn't realise he was inexperienced. He logged on msn and told me that he was on apterous and we should play there. If it was your first game on apterous, do you want a rerun on msn Richard?
Thanks for the offer Kirk, very sporting of you but I have to live with my decision :oops: . I opted to play on apterous so we wouldn't have to bother arranging a host and after practising with Karen Pearson the other day thought I'd mastered it. I did see UNFIRED and also QUAESTOR, but on both occasions the clock beat me to it before I could finish typing them in. I also got 2 of the 3 numbers spot on but in the heat of battle didn't type them in correctly. The better man won on the day anyway.
Until I've had a bit more practise I'll stick with MSN.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

As you've just managed to score a century against me on MSN, it was probably the inexperience with apterous that did it Richard.
Some great words, there, Kirk! 8-)
I was knocked out by 2 great players. I hope to be a more worthy opponent in the next tournament, although I doubt I'll get any further than round 1. :)
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Julie T wrote:As you've just managed to score a century against me on MSN, it was probably the inexperience with apterous that did it Richard.
I was knocked out by 2 great players. I hope to be a more worthy opponent in the next tournament, although I doubt I'll get any further than round 1. :)
You were a worthy opponent! POGROM was quality against me. I feel privileged to be regarded as a "great player" - it's down to practice and dedication really. I'm trying to get up there with the likes of Howe and I know it's possible but it's a tough road.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
You were a worthy opponent! POGROM was quality against me. I feel privileged to be regarded as a "great player" - it's down to practice and dedication really. I'm trying to get up there with the likes of Howe and I know it's possible but it's a tough road.
You're selling yourself a bit short there, I really don't think there's much between us.
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Julie T wrote:As you've just managed to score a century against me on MSN, it was probably the inexperience with apterous that did it Richard.
Cheers Julie, stick with it, you had some good rounds and beat me with HOTLINE and the 640 numbers game. It was a tough group but keep plugging away and your time will come.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Thanks Kirk and Rich! :D
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli