Fun with the custom challenges

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Fun with the custom challenges

Post by Ben Wilson »

Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Re: Fun with the custom challenges

Post by Martin Gardner »

I did the same thing!.

Note that over 100 rounds, you beat my score by 6 points.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

And Ben was playing 10 second rounds...
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

But to be fair I was playing prune... as I was in this game- http://apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=3841 :)
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I fancy trying another 100-rounder tomorrow against Caesar (Apterous, not Julius) but this time with two conundrums - rounds 50 and 100. Otherwise one contestant chooses 50 rounds and the other 49.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Martin Gardner wrote:I fancy trying another 100-rounder tomorrow against Caesar (Apterous, not Julius) but this time with two conundrums - rounds 50 and 100. Otherwise one contestant chooses 50 rounds and the other 49.
Or you could have 99 or 101 rounds.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I did this with 101 rounds. lol!
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I won!

Incredibly close game actually, including two nines in the last two rounds. Before that, I was seriously contemplating a crucial conundrum - after 99 rounds! Still I had something to eat and drink this time so I concentrated a bit better than the last game, although the score was lower, that was because of a better opponent.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

this game is the new record. Note the SHITTYOIL conundrum near the end of the game.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Presumably it's possible to adjourn and resume these ultra-long games, as with normal games? If so, I'd've thought that someone would have set up a several-thousand round game and played it over the course of a few days by now. Or is this sort of thing verboten?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

jimbentley wrote:Presumably it's possible to adjourn and resume these ultra-long games, as with normal games? If so, I'd've thought that someone would have set up a several-thousand round game and played it over the course of a few days by now. Or is this sort of thing verboten?
It's fine with me. I played my 500-rounder over the course of a day with a couple of restarts. I wasn't really intending to start a competition for longest game though, it gets pretty boring after a while.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

That new "blind" variant is well hard. Obviously it doesn't stop you cheating by writing them down but if you're playing alone and testing yourself, then it's a right hard custom. Nice addition though.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Kirk Bevins wrote:That new "blind" variant is well hard. Obviously it doesn't stop you cheating by writing them down but if you're playing alone and testing yourself, then it's a right hard custom. Nice addition though.
It's a nice feature, but say the selection was something like: H E P L A K N O S - you could type PLANK and HOSE into the box and then thats all 9 letters, no longer unhidden.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Yeah. And in regular Countdown, you can just type all the letters into CountMax, see what the max is, and submit that. It's a matter of trust, really.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Joseph Bolas wrote:It's a nice feature, but say the selection was something like: H E P L A K N O S - you could type PLANK and HOSE into the box and then thats all 9 letters, no longer unhidden.
Most selections are rather harder to remember, too. But sure, if you want to cheat then it's not hard.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I thought what he might have meant was you come up with the words PLANK and HOSE and enter them (as you might do) and then for the rest of the round you've got your own words to stare at - more likely if you come up with HOSE first as you probably wouldn't bother if you already had PLANK.

I've not played the blind variant, so it might mean that what I'm saying is bollocks.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Gavin Chipper wrote:I thought what he might have meant was you come up with the words PLANK and HOSE and enter them (as you might do) and then for the rest of the round you've got your own words to stare at - more likely if you come up with HOSE first as you probably wouldn't bother if you already had PLANK.

I've not played the blind variant, so it might mean that what I'm saying is bollocks.
That's pretty much it. I was just merely saying, what is to stop someone from splitting the letters up into 2 or more words and then entering them in the box, so all you have to do for the rest of the round is look at those words, to see if you can come up with something longer.

EDIT: I was thinking maybe that the box could be disabled for about 25 seconds, so that when its the last 5 seconds, you type in the longest word you have then, but that might pose problems.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Je ne parle pas Francais?

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Last edited by Kai Laddiman on Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Je ne pas Francais?

Post by Charlie Reams »

Oh yes. I've been meaning to fix this for a while.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Re: Je ne parle pas Francais?

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Oh yes. I've been meaning to fix this for a while.
Does the title mean anything? I don't actually do French at school, I do German.
Last edited by Kai Laddiman on Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Re: Je ne pas Francais?

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Kai Laddiman wrote:Does the title mean anything?
Not really. Literally translated it would mean "I not French". You really need some sort of verb in there, such as "je ne suis pas Français" (I am not French) or "je ne parle pas Français" (I don't speak French).
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Re: Je ne parle pas Francais?

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Kai Laddiman wrote:Does the title mean anything?
Not really. Literally translated it would mean "I not French". You really need some sort of verb in there, such as "je ne suis pas Français" (I am not French) or "je ne parle pas Français" (I don't speak French).
Thanks.