Names of foreign versions of Countdown

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Ned Pendleton

Names of foreign versions of Countdown

Post by Ned Pendleton »

I've been doing a bit of couchsurfing hosting, and a couple of times have had people ask me why I've got a teapot shaped like a clock and a bit of card with my own name on it in my living room. Explaining what Countdown is can be quite tricky, but it's easy if, say, they're French, and I can just say 'Des chiffres et des lettres'.

So to make my life easier, can we have a list of foreign versions?

France - Des chiffres et des lettres
Spain - cifras y letras
South Africa - A word or 2
Turkish - Bir kelime, bir islem
Australia - Letters and numbers

Those are the ones on wikipedia. Anyone know any more?
Lee Kelly
Rookie

Re: Names of foreign versions of Countdown

Post by Lee Kelly »

I was looking that up myself ned a couple of months ago, not sure about other ones, but wondered does the likes of australia have an online game like apterous? and also if their players or other countries players were as good at the game as the ones here?
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

I think that there is an Italian version called Paroliamo.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

There used to be (and maybe there still is) a Basque version called Hitz Eta Pitz (I think that's how it was spelt - I only picked up a few words of Euskara).
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Karen Pearson wrote:There used to be (and maybe there still is) a Basque version called Hitz Eta Pitz (I think that's how it was spelt - I only picked up a few words of Euskara).
You'd think the Basque folk would want to keep quiet about Eta, all things considered.
Ned Pendleton

Post by Ned Pendleton »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Karen Pearson wrote:There used to be (and maybe there still is) a Basque version called Hitz Eta Pitz (I think that's how it was spelt - I only picked up a few words of Euskara).
You'd think the Basque folk would want to keep quiet about Eta, all things considered.
Don't know about that, many of them would want to be loud about ETA if anything, drawing the world's attention to their long, bitter struggle for independence through the medium of anagram-based TV game shows. That old cliché again.