c4countdown Podcast

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.

Did you like it?

It was brilliant! Do more!
67%
I listened to the whole thing, it was alright.
28%
I turned off half way through.
6%
I don't like your podcast, I don't like you, I don't like this forum.
No votes
Didn't listen, sounds shit.
No votes

Total votes: 18

Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

c4countdown Podcast

Post by Jon O'Neill »

http://www.jononeill.com/podcast/

Charlie Reams, B.A. Hons. and myself have taken it upon ourselves to talk in a meandering fashion for an hour about all things c4c. Highlights include:

- COOT Final excitement!
- Charlie asking for sausage and chips! and
- Music from Jim Bentley!

This is not to be missed - really! It's awesome! No, it is! Go there now!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: c4countdown Podcast

Post by Charlie Reams »

The sound quality starts bad but improves, so please persist if the crackle at the start annoys you as much as it does me.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

That was pretty amazing. The wife and I both listened to it. In bed. Make of that what you will (that comment is mostly directed at you, Jono).

No really, I must be kidding.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Michael Wallace wrote:That was pretty amazing. The wife and I both listened to it. In bed. Make of that what you will (that comment is mostly directed at you, Jono).
If this does become a regular thing, we're definitely having a feature "The Changing Sexuality of Michael Wallace", with musical accompaniment from George Michael.
M. George Quinn
Acolyte

Post by M. George Quinn »

Michael is lieing.

I listened to it with his wife and he didn't like it one bit.

I enjoyed it. it was quite random.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I've listened to the first half at work this morning, until my mate left for the afternoon with the only headphones with a long enough cord to reach comfortably from my PC to my ear.

I thought it was all a little "stuffy", you could tell you were just reading it all from a script, but other than that not too shabby. Maybe try and loosen up a little and ad-lib in future?

Interesting fact about Julian Fell though, I didn't know that one :?

Do you (Reams) & him (Jono) live together?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jon Corby wrote: I thought it was all a little "stuffy", you could tell you were just reading it all from a script, but other than that not too shabby. Maybe try and loosen up a little and ad-lib in future?
I can't tell if you're joking, but my "script" was 4 words long so it was very much ad-libbed. If we sounded tight then it was probably me trying not to laugh at Jono's jokes, because I thought it'd be a bit sad if we just recorded an hour of us finding each other hilarious. In future I'll ask him to be less funny so I won't have to try.
Nope, we recorded it over the Interwebs.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

I've listened to the podcast and its quite good, you definitely should do more of them.

My avatar does mean Joseph in Japanese (using Katakana syllables) although I have come across ヅヨセフ and ヅヨゼツフ, which supposedly, are also other ways of writing Joseph in Katakana, so I'm trying to find out if all 3 are correct and if so, which is more commonly used of the 3.

EDIT: From what I have read the name Joseph in Japanese with the pronunciation JO-zef has the romaji jozefu and is most commonly written in katakana as ヅヨセフ so I have changed my avatar accordingly.
Last edited by Joseph Bolas on Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Charlie Reams wrote:
Nope, we recorded it over the Interwebs.
Impressive - it sounded like you were in the same room to me.

Oh, and you have to keep the sausage and chips feature - I think that was the funniest thing I've ever heard on a podcast.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Charlie Reams wrote:If this does become a regular thing, we're definitely having a feature "The Changing Sexuality of Michael Wallace", with musical accompaniment from George Michael.
To be honest, by the sounds of it that should really be The Changing Sexuality of Jono (or has he always been a raving poofter?).
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

That was very funny. I didn't realise i had only lost once online. It'll soon be twice :D

Great fun though, and definitely not scripted as Jon C suggested.

Still, i worry for your all-round wellbeing.
Stewart Scott
Rookie

Post by Stewart Scott »

Brilliantly funny! Can't wait for show 2 - any ideas when the next one would be?
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Damian E wrote:
Damian

I can't believe you don't recognise irony even when it jumps up and bites you on the bum.
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Yeah, i only breezed through the posts on here in relation to this. I didnt absorb every word in every context, and realise now that is WAS irony - albeit shit irony.

Still, that's the boy for you :mrgreen:
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:I can't tell if you're joking, but my "script" was 4 words long so it was very much ad-libbed.

Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

It went over my head too, Jon.

That southern sense of humour doesnt have a 100% hit rate i'm afraid.

Even worse when your old man has to log on to defend you. I've heard of keeping it in the family but bloody hell........

Roll on November, you need a slap. :mrgreen:
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Damian E wrote:Roll on November, you need a slap. :mrgreen:
Is there any member of the production team that doesn't want to physically assault me? :(

Dad, help, get in here quick!
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

Charlie and Jono,

Delightfully random show and cheers for recognising my contribution to the COOT online tourny ;) . By the way, I cannot offer you the 7/4 odds that you want Jono :lol: . It would be beyond stupidity to give them such odds in a high quality match like the COOT online final!

If you are to do another podcast (which I encourage!) here are a few topical suggestions for you guys to yabber on about;
1. CONOT
2. The standard of contestants in the current series!
3. A review of the COOT and Plate finals
4. A possible online cup and/or league Countdown tournament for all!

EDIT: Also, if possible, you should have some guests on the podcast show to offer their input on all things Countdown to give each show something different! In addition, I would suggest that you played chart music in between chatting slots in order to stop people tuning out early on. Well thats what I would do if I hosted one of these :lol:

All the above are just suggestions. Great show :)
Last edited by JasonCullen on Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Cheers for the input Jason. All considered!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Yeah, I quite enjoyed that. It's good to know that you had to admit to liking me Jono even though you think I'm a wanker but I can live with that.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Damian E wrote:That was very funny. I didn't realise i had only lost once online. It'll soon be twice :D

Still, i worry for your all-round wellbeing.
Should have been 2 had I got GUMSHIELD fractions of a second quicker. That's one point on the podcast where they said they doubt I'd have got that conundrum - I did actually buzz just afterwards and think may have typed the solution before Damian!

Edit: Oh, and OO is in the dictionary not just hyphenated!

Second Edit: I'm glad to have won the inaugural avatar competition under the heading of "own face in avatar" and I also thought about the board I'm holding isn't my name and it could confuse people as to who I am if they have a lapse in concentration - and that was you Charlie, so it seems!
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Very impressive, guys, especially for a first attempt. I think it's definitely worth pursuing and Jason's idea of having guest slots is a good one. I'd be happy to have a go, if you like (unless you're hoping for more venerable guests, like Victoria Mather). And Jason's idea about chart music might be a good one (although personally I don't agree - if you want a break, you can always pause it, and listen to some music, after all), but I think there might be a few copyright issues, and those guys at Sony BMG are probably already keeping an eye on you...

Well done!
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Very entertaining lads :) I thought it dragged just a bit at the end, but I'd definitely rather listen to you two freewheeling than most of the nobs on the radio.

The only thing obviously missing was a plug for CONOT, but then presumably most people listening would've known about it already. Speaking of which, I'm gladr that Julian has scaled the ratings list as it would've been a real arse to draw him in the first round.
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Just remembered that I meant to also say that I thought the 'quotes' section was quite entertaining, despite your saying that it wasn't very good and you wouldn't do it again. The random Wiki page was also quite funny, and the 'sausage moment' is already destined to become an (admittedly minor) legend.
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Yeah I enjoyed that guys :) - admittedly have to agree with Damian worrying about your wellbeing... and mine for listening to it :oops:

But no, it'd be good to hear another episode, and hope to hear more about the progress of 'Netdown'...
M. George Quinn
Acolyte

Chris Corby wrote: I can't believe you don't recognise irony even when it jumps up and bites you on the bum.
I thought it was sarcasm.

The Eiffel Tower is irony.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

jasoncullen wrote:If you are to do another podcast (which I encourage!) here are a few topical suggestions for you guys to yabber on about;
1. CONOT
2. The standard of contestants in the current series!
3. A review of the COOT and Plate finals
4. A possible online cup and/or league Countdown tournament for all!
I think a good topic to focus on also would be best matches from the previous series and also from the CoC's.
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

Joseph Bolas wrote: I think a good topic to focus on also would be best matches from the previous series and also from the CoC's.
Or better still, have a debate on who people would like to see at the next CoC's series!The hosts could read out forumites' views on the topic and Damian Eadie would be a highly suitable guest to discuss who is in line to appear in the prestigious CoC championship :)
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

jasoncullen wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote: I think a good topic to focus on also would be best matches from the previous series and also from the CoC's.
Or better still, have a debate on who people would like to see at the next CoC's series!The hosts could read out forumites' views on the topic and Damian Eadie would be a highly suitable guest to discuss who is in line to appear in the prestigious CoC championship :)
That does sound better. I do hope Damian would be up for appearing as a guest on the podcast.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

I enjoyed it a lot (especially the plugs for my site, which are much appreciated :) )

It was the way that it could veer off into something else at any moment that made it interesting. Is there a semi-easy way of doing the next one live, though? Then we could post on here about the stuff you're talking about and suggest other stuff for you to talk about, and so on, as it happens. That could be very funny.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

jimbentley wrote:Is there a semi-easy way of doing the next one live, though? Then we could post on here about the stuff you're talking about and suggest other stuff for you to talk about, and so on, as it happens. That could be very funny.
That would be fun, but I don't think we can do it with our current technology (which basically involves Skype + a recording program.) I'll keep my eyes open for some better way of doing things.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

M. George Quinn wrote:
Chris Corby wrote:I can't believe you don't recognise irony even when it jumps up and bites you on the bum.
I thought it was sarcasm.
No, it was irony. Yeah, it was, like, really, ironic.
M. George Quinn
Acolyte

Like 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Oh, and in answer to a question raised in the podcast, it's a completely genuine screenshot as well. I wouldn't find it particularly amusing if it weren't, I've never found the "CUNTFLAPS" etc fakes very funny tbh. Er, yes, letters can be used to spell rude words. :?
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Very entertaining. Listened to it over lunch today. In fact the closing music is still playing as I type.

Well done both, and thanks for urging me to listen, when in the car last Saturday.

I look forward to listening to the next one now.