Tool

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Tool

Post by Matt Morrison »

I just came home a bit out of my face (it's taken me abot five effort sto get this far without too many spellking mistakes) and she had her ipod playing (gay) some Tool msuic (fuckin awesome).

She claims it's on shuffle but that's fuckin two Tool songs in a row and I'm so fucking please.

Does anyone ese have any good stories about girls and music?

Also, opposite sex or same sex. Thanks.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Re: Tool

Post by Mark James »

If you like Tool you may like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS7CZIJVxFY
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

I prefer Tool Academy.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Mark James wrote:If you like Tool you may like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS7CZIJVxFY
That's cool. Enjoyed that. Fuck I love Tool so much.

My favourite Tool-based thing that dropped my jaw when I found out (think I posted this somewhere else at some point but hey):
Three separate tracks from the latest Tool album can be assembled into a different one. But plenty of bands do multi-part songs, so there's nothing special about it, right? Well, the difference is that, in this case, you don't get the full song by doing something as mundane as playing one track after the other -- you get it by changing the order and playing them at the same time.

By themselves, the songs seem completely different: "10,000 Days" (11:13) is a long prog-rock number, "Wings for Marie" (6:11) is a quiet song that builds up into a crescendo, and "Viginti Tres" (5:02) is just a bunch of weird noises. 6:11 plus 5:02 adds up to 11:13 -- that's because you're supposed to put "Viginti Tres" and "Wings for Marie" together (in that order) and play them at the same time as "10,000 Days." You'll notice that the weird sounds from "Viginti Tres" seem to be in sync with the melody of "10,000 Days." The most impressive part: Near the end, the vocals from both songs alternate almost perfectly, forming completely different lyrics.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

I prefer Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor. He's great around the house and also a gifted voice actor, having played the voice of Buzz Lightyear in Toy Stories 1, 2 and 3.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

There were a couple of little hairs on my screen that were positioned perfectly to make it look like Heather had whiskers on her left cheek.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Mark James wrote:If you like Tool you may like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS7CZIJVxFY

My favourite Tool-based thing that dropped my jaw when I found out (think I posted this somewhere else at some point but hey):
Three separate tracks from the latest Tool album can be assembled into a different one. But plenty of bands do multi-part songs, so there's nothing special about it, right? Well, the difference is that, in this case, you don't get the full song by doing something as mundane as playing one track after the other -- you get it by changing the order and playing them at the same time.

By themselves, the songs seem completely different: "10,000 Days" (11:13) is a long prog-rock number, "Wings for Marie" (6:11) is a quiet song that builds up into a crescendo, and "Viginti Tres" (5:02) is just a bunch of weird noises. 6:11 plus 5:02 adds up to 11:13 -- that's because you're supposed to put "Viginti Tres" and "Wings for Marie" together (in that order) and play them at the same time as "10,000 Days." You'll notice that the weird sounds from "Viginti Tres" seem to be in sync with the melody of "10,000 Days." The most impressive part: Near the end, the vocals from both songs alternate almost perfectly, forming completely different lyrics.
Conclusion: the constituent songs must be really boring to listen to.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

The Flaming Lips did something similar when they released Zaireeka in 1997. A four disc album where you were meant to play up to all 4 of the discs simultaneously.

Not entirely successful on a commercial scale, as in the age of the CD, I imagine there weren't too many people with 4 players and the ability to synchronise them to start at exactly the same time. But commercial success wasn't really the aim, I'm sure.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Matt Morrison wrote:

Ooh wow, must listen. I've not made the effort to get into this album properly yet - I really love Lateralus. Never heard much by them before, but I was round at someone's house, MTV or something was on, and Schism came on. I was absolutely blown away by the combination of music and visuals, I need that combination for this too probably. WIll listen later.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Also, I've shagged a girl while music was playing. Does that count?

Edit: That sounds so coarse doesn't it? :roll:
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Good man Ian. Tool blow me away, the videos are fucking fantastic as well, there's an excellent DVD of some of them. Isn't it the Lateralus video that explodes into colour at the end? I always loved that bit.

EDIT: This one. I have a copy, but I didn't pay £275.