C4C/apto/Countdown Dreams

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

George Armstrong
Rookie

Re: C4C/apto/Countdown Dreams

Post by George Armstrong »

So last night I dreamt that Tracey Mills wasn't in fact Tracey Mills and had been living under an alias for years. Her real name in fact was Heather McKay, which means that yes, she's Robin McKay's real mum... Let's ignore the fact that one is only 10 years older than the other irl...
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Time to revive this thread with a contribution from last night.

It was my birthday, however I'd had no messages from anyone to wish me a happy birthday. I was especially disappointed that maus hadn't sent me any form of acknowledgement, and I started telling strangers that it was my birthday in order to gain some birthday felicitations. At about 4PM, Fred messaged me to ask what I wanted for my birthday, and I started giving him some sort of diatribe about men, and how what I really wanted was to be asked out on a date by a specific Countdowner. It then transpired that it wasn't actually my birthday, since it was currently 30th July and my birthday is 20th August. Apparently this had not occurred to me at all beforehand.
Last edited by Elliott Mellor on Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

I had one past night where I was pissing off Jon O'Neill by hogging a photocopier. Jono wanted to print off work related documents, while I was printing off a large batch of puzzle pages for an anthropomorphic capybara.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Maybe it was my 10 letter conundrum thread that inspired my toasted cheese fuelled fever dream.
I was in America in a hotel room in Orlando and I was Channel hopping and I stumbled on an episode of what looked like Countdown but more jazzy.
James Cordon was presenting 2 families were playing against each other for money each round worth £1000 per letter of each word.
I think Whoopi Goldberg was playing there version of Rachel and every few letters a joker would appear and every round had a nine.
I remember remarking to my brother who is in his forties now but was 10 in this ( I took him to Disney when he was 10).that they are using 10 letters computer generated.
They were using keyboards to input their words.
I dont recall numbers rounds but the cunnundrum was like wheel of fortune and they gave you the first letter and the vowels.
The word was Land-rover and that's what they won.
Anyway at that point Mickey Mouse came into my room brandishing a samauri sword and then I woke up
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:11 am what I really wanted was to be asked out on a date by a specific Countdowner.
Dunno. You might be a little bit too old for him now...
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp
Andres Sanchez
Enthusiast

Post by Andres Sanchez »

Had a dream that a bald Philip Aston played against some hirsute guy name Rob and won with 182 points with four nines. Have absolutely no idea how any of these ideas jumbled together.
One of da 'Muricans
Christy Cooper
Rookie

Post by Christy Cooper »

I had a dream that several comedians from 8/10 Cats Does Countdown died (in fact, in my dream, Rob Beckett died from suicide…. wonder what causes these dreams to occur) so Jimmy was calling every comedian he could think of to cover for them 😂 eerily, that was a dream I had just a few days before the news about Sean Lock broke last year.

I also had a dream that Susie Dent died…. again, no idea how death seems to crop in my dreams a fair bit but it does.

And I also had a dream that Colin started talking like a stereotypical ‘roadman’- ‘yo, welcome to Countdown, innit badman- propah peng ting, bruv!’- that one wasn’t quite as eerie.

I
George Armstrong
Rookie

Dreamt last night that it was CO:Rugby. The R1 draw has been noted on the sign ups sheet and all MSR had to do was read them out and input them. The first draw was myself, Maus, and Peter Clarke, too an "ooh" from everyone else. Table 2 drew Mike Lee, Fiona and Prune. I missed Table 3 because of Aptochat going down but it was a meaty table from what I heard. MSR found inputting the draw tricky, as he'd taken a bowl of mashed potatoes and covered his hands, and henceforth his laptop with them...
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Last night in a semi-feverish dream, me and Dinos time travelled back to 2018 and searched around a shopping mall to try to find someone in the UK Labour Party to contact, only to realise that we'd been unknowingly staring directly at Jeremy Corbyn for over 20 minutes. Shortly afterwards, Dinos departed and I was left scouring a map of the UK for a petrol station with platinum service (in my dream, service comes in five levels from worst to best- red, green, silver, gold & platinum), eventually finding one in North Lincolnshire. However, I then opt for a red service station in Nottinghamshire instead (that was actually further away from where I live) only to end up at a platinum service one anyway and have to steer around about a dozen Toyota Hiluxes to leave. I then woke up.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Many if not most of my dreams involve either snooker or Matt Morrison. This one went for both.

-

I was a member of a professional basketball team, the Milton Keynes Miltons, and our next match took place inside a scout hut just off the A507 near the Ampthill turn-off with remarkably low ceilings. The backboard kept falling down and we had to stop play to straighten it all back up, with me being all judgemental and saying things like "this simply won't do" and "we will need to get this fixed up properly in the future". (This need to commentate on everything will become relevant during the C4C-related part of the dream further on.)

My role on this team varied from being a player who can't actually play and who somehow had not been found out yet, to being a sort of raconteur who engaged with members of the crowd and got to know them on some kind of personal level. In this instance, there was only one person in the crowd, so it didn't take long. His name was Gary, and although he looked exactly like the late actor Gary Olsen (who played Ben in 90s sitcom 2.4 Children), he was at pains to point out that he wasn't the late actor Gary Olsen.

After a brief chat with Gary in which we both listed things we were unhappy with about the other while smiling broadly in an incredibly English display of passive-aggressiveness, it was time for the snooker portion of the day. At this point, the Miltons' line-up of former NBA players and fat bus drivers (I thought it best not to elaborate on that part in this post) departed, to be replaced by Matt Morrison and Heather Badcock. Concurrent with this, a giant 24 foot by 10 foot snooker table appeared in the hut (Gary had to move closer to the wall to fit it in), the scout hut turned into a pub with mock Tudor beams, the ceiling somehow got even lower, and the place became filled with a lot more passive-aggressive belligerents. There was lots of smiling and lots of underhand comments in all directions. Lovely stuff.

We were playing a variety of snooker in which one team had seven light blues to pot, and the other team had about 20 of every other colour imaginable. Heather went first, and she took her first shot on the inexplicably-already-scattered table by making a delicate and rather impressive cut on a blue into the corner. Thereafter, she lost her patience and just started twatting everything. After a few rather primal wallops of any blue she could find, her two shots were up, or so I thought - Heather continued trying to play shots, but I insisted we stop and check the instant replay. I was being fair, you see. Which, again, was a key plot point to lay the foundations of the climactic final scene in this truly captivating and totally not boring movie of a dream.

The instant replay revealed that I was wrong; Heather had fluked a blue in the extremely-far-away far corner pocket on her second shot, and thus was in compliance with the rules of this weird-ass sport it seems we were inventing on the fly. Nevertheless, this did not stop the belligerents from whispering and belligerating, and there was tension in the air. The integrity of our basketbooker league was under threat. And it was at this point that I began to notice how much the opposition was cheating. With seemingly every shot, one of their 35-or-so team members was doing something underhanded; by the end, it got to the point where the table had no cushions on it whatsoever (a call-back, it appears, to this), and as long as they could just knock a ball off the edge of the table, they would call it a pot. And that really wouldn't do.

Now, in my dreams, people are usually mad at me. For hours and hours and hours, they'll be like "oh MARK! :roll: " in that exasperated way I hear on loop in my paranoid subconscious awake mind and which is definitely not my brain struggling to process childhood traumas or anything. I am a disturbed sleeper because for the most part, my sleep brain is having a go at itself. Not this time, though. In this one, it plays the hero. After all this cheating, I take a stand. I grab the microphone, grab the focus on the room, and go on a speech. It is warmly delivered, but emphatic in its language. It is confrontational without being bellicose. It informs Gary and all his cheaty mates that we know what they've being doing, and we're just going to end it there for tonight, but we're taking the victory, and that's how it's going to be. (The phrase "I'm not asking, buddy, I'm telling" was used at one point. What a hero.)

The 35-or-so cheating Ampthillians were obviously not delighted about this jumped-up fuck from the Keynes coming in, showing off and telling them what's up, so while my team congratulated me and were in awe of my bravado and articulation (being praised for never saying "erm" at any point in my off-the-cuff spiel), they went and got the manager, an Italian man who looked exactly like the non-Italian poker player Sammy Farha. Sammy put his arm around me and said through his big Italian smile, "look, you can have the victory, but get the fuck out of my pub". I got the fuck out of his pub, but on my terms; leaving Matt and Heather in there like the consummate teammate that I am, I watched on through various windows as a riot erupted in the venue, as the cheating team tore the place apart, looking for me, all the while shouting more scathing commentary ("you have only yourselves to blame, for you were not playing in the right spirit!") through the bizarrely open windows.

Heather then pulled out a gun and shot Gary.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

The last bit is basically what happened at the Fox and Hounds at this year's COLIN.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 6:22 pm The last bit is basically what happened at the Fox and Hounds at this year's COLIN.
My thoughts exactly. Mark somehow missed all the action
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Missed the action? That simply won't do.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Excellent. For me the most bizarre part of that dream is the dimensions of the snooker table. The angles would be completely different to a normal size table. That won't do.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
George Armstrong
Rookie

Was on Aptochat when Tom Cappleman comes online, having enjoyed the latest episode of a new TV Show "Gregg's Obese Services". The entire premise of the show seemed to be something to do with overweight waiters. There was one bit in particular with Tom found hilarious, so I went to find the clip on YouTube. Found a short clip from the show, in which Gregg walks out of a caravan housing the contestants. Outside is a tent which was designed by 3 PSG footballers including Kylian Mbappe, as indicated by a tag on the tent. Gregg remarks, "No matter what you think of these Chelsea boys, you've all walked past this before and thought "mmm BAP eh"".
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

In the latest one I end up somewhere in Leeds, trying to find a hotel for the night only to find myself caught outside what I assume is a kitchen or a generator room in the rain, which is padlocked. A bunch of apterites including George Armstrong and Fiona T arrive, break into the place with a pair of huge bolt cutters, and I discover its the old Leeds studio, complete with countdown set. A small game is then played, and I discover its actually a knock out tournament played with the actual set, and we need someone to stand guard in case Damian appears. I can't remember the draw, only that I'm too late to be in it, I'm sitting next to Jono (who is in the draw but thinking of dropping out) and I got AEROWOOD in a round. I then wake up.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Ben Wilson wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:22 am we need someone to stand guard in case Damian appears
This is the bit that amuses me the most. I'm sure (in your dream world) if he did catch you, his reaction would be to ask to join.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

In an impulsive decision which ended up taking consiiiiiiiiderably longer than I expected, I decided to put together a matrix that counted how many times Apterous/Countdowners have been specifically named as being in dreams. METHODOLOGY: Countdown and Catsdown hosts included because eh why not. The person having the dream is not counted, which particularly penalises Ben Wilson in particular, as he would be on about 6,000 points. Only counts when expressly named.

890 total dream citations, and here are the results!

--

Dreamt about 60 times and by far and away the most popular unconscious Countdowner

Zarte Siempre

Dreamt about 40 times

Graeme Cole, Jen Steadman

Dreamt about 37 times

Mark Deeks

Dreamt about 32 times

Andy Platt

Dreamt about 30 times, most of which have come in the last three pages of the thread, many of which were by Ashton Hancock

James Robinson

Dreamt about 26 times

Jon O'Neill

Dreamt about 24 times

Callum Todd

Dreamt about 23 times and not the most frequently dreamed-about C4Cer despite my best efforts

Matt Morrison

Dreamt about 20 times

Dylan Taylor, and his brother Ryan Taylor

Dreamt about 19 times despite my best efforts

Michelle Nevitt

Dreamt about 18 times

Gevin Chapwell, Thomas Carey

Dreamt about 17 times, albeit not often together

Charlie Reams, Jon Corby

Dreamt about 16 times including one time when he was explicitly described as "phenomenally pissed off"

Matt Bayfield

Dreamt about 15 times, usually always actually playing Countdown

Dan McColm, Jack Worsley

Dreamt about 13 times, these three greats of the game

Innis Carson, Kirk Bevins, Matty Artell

Dreamt about 12 times, quite a bit more than her husband

Tracey Mills

Dreamt about 11 times, quite a bit less than her basically-husband

Heather Badcock

Also dreamt about 11 times and the most popular of all the actual show's hosts

Susie Dent

Dreamt about 10 times

Dinos Sfyris

Dreamt about 9 times and less than Dinos, as we would all naturally expect

Rachel Riley

Dreamt about 8 times

Adam Gillard, Ben Wilson, Callum Pickering (almost all of which were by James Laverty), Conor Travers, Mike Brown

Dreamt about 7 times

Bradley Horrocks (almost all of which were by Elliot Mellor), Jim Bentley, Lauren Hamer, Nick Hewer

Dreamt about 6 times

Eddy Byrne, Fiona Titcombe, Giles Hutchings, Rhys Benjamin, Richard Priest, Rob Foster

Dreamt about 5 times

Damian Eadie, Jack Hurst, Jeff Clayton, Tom Cappleman

Dreamt about 4 times

George Pryn, Heather Styles, Ian Volante, Kai Laddiman, Richard Whiteley, Stewart Gordon, Tim Down

Dreamt about 3 times

"Callum" (not elaborated upon, which is a shame, as it could have made a difference to the top of the standings), Adam Dexter, Aidan Linge, George Armstrong, James Laverty, Joseph Krol, Paul Erdunast, Paul Howe, Paul Worsley, Philip Aston, Richard Brittain, Zubair Patel

Dreamt about 2 times

"George" (not specified), Adam Curran, Alan Young, Eddie McCullaugh, Fred Whibley, Gary Male, Ian Birdman, James Nguyen, Johnny Canuck, Josh Hurst, Lee Fisher, Mark Davies, Mark Mills, Mark Murray, Michael Wallace, Ned Pendleton (with the two coming a decade apart), Paul Anderson, Paul James, Robin McKay, Sophie Krol, Tony Atkins

Dreamt about 1 time

"Tom C" (unspecified), , Alec Rivers, Andrew Hulme, Andy SC, Angus Burns, Anthony Endsor, Bob de Caux's hair, Brett Smitheram, Carl Williams, CF, Chris Davies, Chris Hare, Chris Marshall, CJ De Mooi, Craig Beevers, Dave Preece, David B Barnard, David O'Donnell, "Oli" (not specified), David Stainer, Dougie Mackay, Eoin Jackson, Eoin Monaghan, "FAT Jon Corby", Gemma Church, Glen Webb, Gyles Brandreth, Hazel Drury, Hywel Morgan, James Rowan, Jamie McNeill, "someone like Paul Worsley but not quite Paul Worsley", Jason Larsen, Jeff Stelling, Jimmy Carr, Jimmy Gough, Joe Bartram, "Adam Gillard doing an impression of Scott Gillies", Jon Stitcher, Jonathan Rawlinson, Jonathan Wynn, Jordan Barker, Joyce Phillips, Julian Fell, Julie Russell, Kerry Alcock, Luke Johnson-Davies, Mark Hartnett, "Andrew Something or Other", Mark Nyman, Mark Tournoff, Martin Bishop, "May have been Hugh Binnie", Matt Croy, Matthew Tassier, Mike Lee, Milo McKenzie, Moose, MSR, Neil Zussman, Oli Moore, Oliver Garner, Paul Gallen, Paul Sinha, Peter Clarke, Phil Collinge, Phil Reynolds, Ray Wilding, Rob Beckett, Ru Maxwell, Sam Goodyear, Sean Lock, Spike, Stephen Read, Stewart Holden, Sue Sanders, "The dismembered head and shoulders of Jeff Clayton", Tom Chafer-Cook, Tricia Pay, Usman Mirza, "A Robin McKay-Alan Young hybrid laughing at my small willy".
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

I also enjoyed on this journey the ways people were dreamt about. That is to say, some people were dreamt about in a Countdown context and some were not, but also, how people's depictions in the dreams of community members en masse trended in ways that could not be random and speaks to their reputation in the group. A lot of "Jack Worsley had just made the final of the Champion of Champions", "Mark Deeks was unnecessarily aggressively bollocking a ferret", etc. These are our legacies.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

That reminds me of one I had a few days ago. In the dream, I went to a scrabble tournament, but before I could sign up, I had to complete an arcade game where you control Mr Burns from the Simpsons stealing artefacts from ancient tombs. In a twist, this bit was physical- as in the arcade contained a string of actual (well, replica) tombs that opened and yielded axrual treasure that was then digitised and placed onto Mr Burns's on-screen character. The final level was a streets of rage type affair where I (well, Burns) embarrassingly went down to the second guy I came across, which was still good enough for 3rd place on the leaderboard. I then spent ages trying to get the leaderboard to accept 'NOB' as my name, having accidentally typed an O instead of an E, before giving up, entering 'NEB' and trying to find my first opponent for the scrabble. Other than seeing MSR and Fiona playing each other, nothing else of note happens before I wake up.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Also I don't think you mentioned the countdowner whose penis fell off in my dream that one time (well, you have, he is on the list somewhere, but I don't recall telling you who it was).
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Whoever it is gets 45 bonus points. Could decide the title.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Well add one to Stephen Read and Tom Carey -

We were doing Edgbaston parkrun before co:Brum. I'd done it before and remembered the route being fast and flat, so I was surprised as we set off to find it was more like an obstacle course with massive hills. I figured it was too hard, so started to walk back to the hotel, but after about five minutes I got worried that Stephen and Tom would be waiting for me to finish at the end after I'd already left, so I returned and started the parkrun. The first obstacle I got to was a bridge - it was very steep and very high with lots of steps, or there was a narrow walkway that was a lot flatter and shorter. I chose the walkway, and was surprised how narrow it was - I was struggling to squeeze through. I was just thinking that it was a good job I wasn't any fatter or I'd be stuck, when my progress was blocked by a (fatter) person who was stuck. I resigned myself to having to go up the long steep steps and headed back, but there was another stuck person. I considered climbing over the railings and jumping off but it was very high and I was too scared. Eventually after some hours the (fatter) person was released and I could continue. On the second lap I went over the bridge instead and the stairs went on for ages. I finished the parkrun in just over 5 hours and missed the co:event. Tom and Stephen hadn't waited for me. Gits.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I would have waited, Fiona.

That's great work, Mark by the way. I might start putting more of my dreams on here, but quite often even though they seem quite good at the time, they'd be quite incoherent and probably far less interesting written down.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

With no obvious connection to the plot of the rest of the night's dream - which broadly consisted of Danny John-Jules driving a commercial airliner down the A421 towards Bedford at about warp nine and wondering why the thing wouldn't lift off the ground - my sleep brain did a jump cut to a large empty room, in which me (who was also Hercule Poirot) and Heather Badcock were seated on wonky stools facing each other. The mystery we/I was trying to solve was, what happened to Kerry Alcock? Heather then pulled off her own head to reveal Kerry underneath, and proudly exclaimed "as I've always said, Alcock is Badcock." We high-fived.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Myself and Lauren Hamer opened a car wash just outside Derby, one we jointly operated while dressed in differently inappropriate ways - her, with a denim skirt jacked up to the armpits in that way usually seen in 95 year old men, and me in a scuba suit with a purple felt hat. Lauren was clearly the senior of the two of us, taking charge of orders and doing the customer patter, while I kept forgetting what to say and falling asleep wearing an oxygen mask. After an incident in which I told a man driving a chipboard-veneered mobile pub that it would take four hours to patch the dinner plate-sized hole in his rear wing - a job she completed in seconds while simultaneously also comping Jodie Marsh with a free hot wax "for her continuing loyalty" - Lauren eventually got sick of my shit and dispatched me to field at long leg for the England T20 team, as Monty Panesar kept missing the wicket. I was bad at this, too, so made my excuses and went to a vintage railway to provide cover for the overworked staff there, only for them to be mad at me for being late. One of the railway staff was a beleaguered and moustachioed Matt Morrison.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Being really unwell usually lends itself to unusual dreams, and tonight was no exception. In tonight's dream, I'm hosting Countdown in Leamington Spa for some reason, adjudicating a game where there's a query over the validity of a word. It's unknown where the game's host (and other player) went. On my way back to my front desk, I'm bombarded with finished scoresheets to enter onto the system, only to discover that the system being used is some sort of mixing desk set up by Nathan Pace. It's sophisticated enough to impress Graeme, but I have no idea how to operate it, so I go looking for Nathan, only to run into the husbands of the astronauts of a Moon mission practising for zero gravity, and the film's producer yelling at the writers to make the sequel more exciting.

In the previous dream, I was hitchhiking across the UK adjudicating Scrabble moves (including one played by Tuvok from Star Trek) so I'm not sure if it was much of an improvement.

Edit: also, in the previous dream, Mr Burns got it again when the bullies from the Simpsons rerouted Springfield's sewage system to drain directly into his face.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Ben Wilson wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:16 pm Being really unwell usually lends itself to unusual dreams, and tonight was no exception. In tonight's dream, I'm hosting Countdown in Leamington Spa for some reason, adjudicating a game where there's a query over the validity of a word. It's unknown where the game's host (and other player) went. On my way back to my front desk, I'm bombarded with finished scoresheets to enter onto the system, only to discover that the system being used is some sort of mixing desk set up by Nathan Pace. It's sophisticated enough to impress Graeme, but I have no idea how to operate it, so I go looking for Nathan, only to run into the husbands of the astronauts of a Moon mission practising for zero gravity, and the film's producer yelling at the writers to make the sequel more exciting.

In the previous dream, I was hitchhiking across the UK adjudicating Scrabble moves (including one played by Tuvok from Star Trek) so I'm not sure if it was much of an improvement.

Edit: also, in the previous dream, Mr Burns got it again when the bullies from the Simpsons rerouted Springfield's sewage system to drain directly into his face.
Get well soon mate
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Cheers Marc :-)
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

I love the rare occasions when my subconscious decides to give me something worthwhile to contribute here.

Last night's setting is a little bit unclear, but the broad plot is that I'm playing Jack Worsley in a best of 5 set match in the final of some elite tennis tournament (that might have only involved apterites, because I'm fairly sure it was mentioned that Jack was the multiple time defending champion, and had recently suffered disappointment in the apterous masters to Zohaib). I was REALLY in the zone, and when I took the first game after saving a break point I let out an almighty shout of "COME ON!!" to the rather large crowd that were watching this exciting spectacle. At some point in the first game I think there was also a case where my serve (which Jack failed to return) was clearly out, but Jack hadn't called it out (apparently there was no umpire and the players were doing the calling) so he rather meekly let me have the point because it was too late to overturn (I tried telling him multiple times that I was happy for it to be overturned as I also thought it was out, but he didn't accept this offer). In some very bizarre twist I was hitting the ball not with a tennis racket, but with a ballpoint pen, which I upgraded to what I believe was a fountain pen after a few games because I felt it would give me better shots (and I recall one moment where I hit a beautifully angled return off Jack's serve that he was nowhere near getting). I think I was about 3-0 up in games at this point, and was contemplating using a proper tennis racket (quite why I hadn't done this from the start is unknown, but clearly I knew what I was doing, and it brings a whole new meaning to the pen-hold grip in sport.) Unfortunately I woke up before finding out, or can't remember, the outcome of the match but I'd like to imagine that I had a pretty easy win if Jack wasn't able to build up a lead when my equipment was so feeble.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Bradley making another appearance last night. This time, he had an item that I really wanted, but had decided that he was going to list it on eBay for £500, despite me telling him that this was a completely unrealistic price and also offering to buy it for a fair price. He didn't seem to care about this, and actually seemed to be listing it at that price purely out of spite to stop me from getting it (even if literally nobody else would have ever bought it for that sum).
Bradley Horrocks
Acolyte

Post by Bradley Horrocks »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:09 pm Bradley making another appearance last night. This time, he had an item that I really wanted, but had decided that he was going to list it on eBay for £500, despite me telling him that this was a completely unrealistic price and also offering to buy it for a fair price. He didn't seem to care about this, and actually seemed to be listing it at that price purely out of spite to stop me from getting it (even if literally nobody else would have ever bought it for that sum).
Sounds like me ;)
"And PANTIES, thank you for that, that cheers us up enormously" - NH
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Neglecting to take my meds last night had a very interesting result.

Note: this dream was either sandwiched between or at the same time as dreams where I was Jack Sparrow marooning people in 4 foot deep water, and one where I was reenactment Buffy the Vampire Slayer episodes while following the synopsis on the wiki (note: I've never actually watched Buffy).

The dream starts at a half-finished building project made entirely out of different kinds of purple minecraft blocks. I climb along the outside wall of the building, following a ghostly woman, until I reach what was to be my flat, at which point I and the other angry tenants moon the boss of the project (or just moon in his general direction as he's nowhere to be seen). I then realise that the COLIN hangover is taking place in a fully furnished hole in the ground in the building, and as my sense of time has gone to pot, every round of every game of every round is taking place at the same time. I'm then tasked with finding a snack for one of the players' children, who is either 0, 1, 4, 10 or 14 years old, or all of the above ages at the same time. A solero is also involved somewhere, but I don't know where. After a time jump, I find myself heading away from co:Leeds desperately trying to find a pair of pants, but ultimately deciding to go commando, before ending up in hospital having dead, necrotic skin peeled off my hands by Fred Trump. I then mercifully wake up.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

You've just reminded me to take the meds I forgot to take last night 😊
My dream was not as entertaining as yours though

Hope you are on the mend
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

The band Simple Minds were actually a duet of a cat suit-wearing Jim Carrey and a moustachioed Carl Williams.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

My traditional post-COLIN dream state has arrived right on schedule. Last night saw me walking through a completely 'wrong' version of my workplace with some colleagues when we were ambushed by a swarm of Scarabs. I immediately recognised the situation as a scenario from the Metal Gear Solid game they came from (ttbomk you don't actually get swarmed by them in-game though) so I remained calm, only to then be confronted by a (fictional) HR person from my workplace who was giving me a bollocking about my use of language in the workplace, even as she was being actively set on by the scarabs. The situation then transformed into an actual Metal Gear Solid game with the scarabs still attacking, and the dream then restarted, only this time I had a vibrating katana which would kill the scarabs instantly, but had the disadvantage of running on mains power and had a power cable about 3 feet long. Nonetheless, I set out in search of some scarabs to kill.

So far this has been unrelated to C4C/apto/Countdown, right? Well, at that exact moment, the numbers cheese landed in my hand, and I spent the rest of the dream fiddling with that instead.

In a later dream I was back at work, only to be interrupted by Tim Down and Andy Platt canvassing for the Student Union (in a place where there are no students).
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Last night's took place in a shop, with a few Countdowners (though it wasn't made clear exactly who, just that they were Countdowners). It transpired that we were all extremely excited to meet Eric Idle, who apparently did his shopping there. We happened upon him at a till, and he greeted me very enthusiastically by name as though he was expecting to see me. This caused me to faint (apparently Countdowners idolise Eric Idle in this subconscious land), and for several minutes afterwards I was completely unable to speak due to shock. As everyone was waving their Countdown autograph books for him to sign, I discovered that I hadn't got one myself and improvised with some sort of strange notebook that I got passed.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Sometimes I make notes about c4c dreams but then forget to type them up when I wake up and (obviously) forget the details later on. This was in my notes from September 2018, so I'll let you fill in all the gaps.

-Tidying after COLIN at my house
-Tropes boxes
-Kirk insane
-Forgot the spoon
-Piles of Haribo
-Popeye
-Someone nicks my chocolate
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Matt Morrison was worried that his beard had started to turn Uncle Albert-white. Rather than comfort him, I made it worse by pointing out the visible streak of piss that ran through it.
Eoin Monaghan wrote: